made my own faux gas cap replacement..thoughts?

2012gtmustang

Established Member
i hate the standard ole GT emblem in the fake gas cap..ddi wanan pay $55 for the insert and especially didnt wanan pay $100+ for the billet..and since i like skulls i decided to give making my owna try..wasnt terribly difficult, more tedious than anything...getting the ring and insert off wasnt bad at all but ive likely destroyed the GT emblem but i can always sand it down, repaint it and use it again if i so desire. including the skull emblem and 3M tape, i have $9 and three hours in the whole deal. Ill ge better pics oce the rain stops and i can clean her up again but you get the idea. what says the peanut gallery?? thanks

2012-11-08_04-08-05_946.jpg

2012-11-08_04-04-58_560.jpg

2012gtmustang

Established Member
it'll hold..4 tiny machine screws and 20lb 3M tape securing the ring and the back of the center disk is covered with the 3M tape..its solid....same mounting as emblem pro and billet badges use, i just went above and beyond their specs

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
Cool! Would definitely catch me off guard if I saw that. As long as you are happy with it, that's all that matters.

whatwhine

Established Member
Not my thing. I would have made it matte black..... Or dipped the whole thing black and made the skull red. I hate chrome.

But it's a cool DIY mod. Keep up the good work.

2012gtmustang

Established Member
thanks guys, i realize its not everyones cup of tea but thats kinda the point. im sorta a 'skull fan' considering 9 of my 15 tats have skulls or skeletons incorporated into them, so its kinda my dark hobby. and btw, i hate the chrome look as well but i had to work with what i had looks much better in person without the camera flash tho

BDFabrizio

Registered Abuser
Established Member
I like the creativity. I also want to do something different with mine. I hate the GT font on the stock cap. I haven't really been able to come up with anything good, but I'd like something dark/black as my car is pretty much blacked out.

Users who are viewing this thread