Made my first set of mufflers!!!

t01lightning

Established Member
Hey this is how small businesses begin. Many could not fabricate anything at all and each set will get better and better. Everything starts at some small level.

twin67mmcobra

Established Member
Yeah lots of haters in here! At lest he made somthing! Most people that talk shit on here, half the time they don't even know how to work on their own cars. I think if you can't say somthing nice don't say anything!

smitty2919

Established Member
I've always wanted to design my own muffler. Something with a spring loaded valve inside and a bypass.

Dynomax VT muffler...already done for you lol. Work great at killing drone and open up under throttle.

What did you use to pack the muffler? Where did you buy supplies?

Last edited:

4.6pimp

Established Member
Dynomax VT muffler...already done for you lol. Work great at killing drone and open up under throttle.

What did you use to pack the muffler? Where did you buy supplies?

I didn't pack these! which is why they have a open hollow sound until wide open throttle... As far as supplies I got the from buddies exhaust shop.

smitty2919

Established Member
Ahhhh ok. I know you can buy the perforated tube from online suppliers and just use sheet metal/exhaust pipe for the body.

smitty2919

Established Member
Exhaust sound consists of sinusoidal waves of certain frequencies, depending on the muffler dimensions and materials used, the waves combine in constructive interference and exit the chamber with a higher amplitude then the waves entering the chamber, that is known as sound amplification. A muffler based on design or lack there of can be a resonance chamber that amplifies sound or a well designed muffler which attenuates certain frequency more then other giving a desired sound. For example a muffler that drones is a poorly designed muffler that does not attenuate certain frequencies.

In addition a poorly designed muffler can cause back-pressure because the sound waves can reflect back and become a restriction for the gas coming into the chamber.

Because of these principles it is not a safe assumption to automatically think thank because something is a muffler it attenuates sound, it depends on it's design and this particular case there is no design so it might attenuate or it might amplify, or it might do a mix of both depending on the frequency.

I am not an exhaust engineer, but I am an engineer so I understand this well enough to know that a muffler design is crucial to it's function.

"Backpressure" is a result of a poorly flowing muffler. As long as a muffler can flow roughly 2.2 CFM per HP you car makes, then the engine will not even notice the muffler. The other part of the muffler is to "muffle" which gets into design and packing material used.

Flow masters "drone" but actually flow flow fairly well. Obviously there are better flowing mufflers that also muffle sound a lot better as well. Borla XS mufflers for example.

If running dual exhaust. Multiply your car's HP by 2.2 then divide by 2 (using 2 mufflers). This gives the CFM requirement of EACH muffler. THEN make your muffler choice bases on muffling capabilities.

Unless you have a TON of money and testing equipment, no average joe will be able to properly design a muffler. You could rig up a flow bench with the correct laptop program, sensors, and a shop vac. But tuning the muffler for different frequencies will be out of your grasp. Exhaust frequencies are ever changing as RPM's increase and decrease. As RPM's increase, the frequency wavelength shortens. Corsa mufflers are mostly frequency cancelling driven and are loud while Magnaflows are decibel reducing driven (you all know magnaflows can "drone" at 2K rpm for your mustangs). You can add 1/4 wave Hemholtz resonators to kill drone for a narrow RPM range which works wonders.

Not to mention, drone is so subjective. One persons drone is someone else's "engine noise".Then you have exhaust systems that are so damn loud that it is the pure volume of noise that is annoying inside the cabin. Example: my first GTO exhaust of L/T's catless midpipes, dual 3" catback with x pipe and no mufflers. STUPID loud iside the car at ANY speed. Did it "drone"? I don't know but I couldn't hear myself think.

It is hard to quantify pure drone in real life driving since road noise, wind noise etc etc all play a role. Some cars are more accoustically insulated than others as well.

Closest I came to testing for drone was this:
Magnaflow vs Dynomax VT - YouTube

Last edited:

viper82489

Established Member
I made a set just like those for my 03, I love them. Its a little loud inside the car but not too bad. I packed mine with two layers of steel wool then a layer of fiberglass mat. I think I may have a start up vid somewhere I'll have to try and find it.

94venomV8

Established Member
He can build whatever he wants, I can have whatever opinion on it I want.

You sir are whats wrong with the world. Gotta go out of the way to make sure everyone knows yours worthless opinion. Never have anything nice to say. Who gives a crap what he wanted to make, it has nothing to do with what you think he should spend time on, I highly doubt he set out to build a muffler that gains 25hp by bolting them on. Its called a hobby for a reason! Please tell me what was the point of you posting anyway? Keep it to your damn self!

OP, nice work, Ive always thought about doing something like that for fun just to see if I could get a different sound than that standard "mustang" sound you mostly hear. WOuld love to hear a video.

Users who are viewing this thread