Machinists/Engine builders inside pls.

no cigar

I want a $944 camera!
Established Member
Hey guys I'm pretty close to acquiring some sleeves for my al block and while I know my machinist knows the ropes on installing the sleeves, I want to be sure that I understand it.

So pretty much the factory liner is bored out and they make the hole equal to the OD of the sleeve less, xxx thousandths for fit, and leave a small ledge at the bottom for the sleeve to sit on and that's about it.

Can the sleeves slide in with only a freeze in a deep freeze overnight or perhaps using dry ice without the need to be pounded in?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
They should know how to do it.

If they're asking you or you have unanswered questions I'd question their abilities...

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
Block should be stress relieved before and after the process, seasoned blocks are preferred, CNC is preferred for precise tolerances with respect to bore and spacing in regards to core shift (not that a VERY skilled machinist couldn't properly do it manually but...), and keeping temp differentials within range for the entire process. If it's a dry sleeve you can use cast iron, wet sleeves are not supported by the block and therefore must endure much more stress and thereby ductile or hybrids must be used. Just some of the basics but there is literally tons of information out there to read but I would agree that the shop shouldn't leave you wondering, and if there is any doubt I would take it to a very well known shop that has experience, especially with your particular application.

no cigar

I want a $944 camera!
Established Member
Hey guys. Haven't got this dropped off at the machinist yet. I am still waiting on sleeves to arrive. I mainly just want to understand the process myself. Spent a few minutes on the phone with Dave from LA Sleeves and got some pretty good insight.

I'll be using their ductile iron dry sleeves.

no cigar

I want a $944 camera!
Established Member
Something like that. All na e85 with about 12.5:1 comp ratio with the ability to run a 150 shot or 6-10 lbs on down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread