Mach1 Rebuild Saga: 28k miles. Start. Boom. Engine pulled. Toast. Need new one. Help!

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
Dear SVTP,

I am return unto you with a new slogan, and a new attitude.

I can't run my mouth because I can't run my engine.

Let the onslaught of story and fun commence.

-wurd2

P.S. I need your help in spending to go fast.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
03.22.2014: Welding Maximum Motorsports Subframe Connectors

mach1rebuild-03-22-2014.png

Videos:

[video=youtube;CUg2VMns3Ao]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUg2VMns3Ao&rel=0&vq=hd720[/video]

[video=youtube;UW24p4vnBGc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW24p4vnBGc&rel=0&vq=hd720[/video]

Last edited:

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
I've been debating between a coyote swap with a crate engine from Ford and calling MMR for a kickass, plug-and-play longblock.

I don't have any concrete goals with this car other than to go again.

Having said this, it would be nice to claim more HP than a Hellcat.
:)

As for now, it is sleep time.

This was a lot of work.

There's more coming.

B0B

Established Member
awesome build. Your car will be a completely new car with that suspension. I have a front k member package in my mach 1 and a torque arm/panhard bar in my GT. They are some quality pieces. What are your plans for the new engine? I would probably stay mod motor to keep it classy. Do what I did and build a nice bottom end and a whipple or TVS.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
I think you have made the best, most complete, well written and photographed post ever.

Are you doing this as an assignment for MM&FF?

I wonder if you will ever know what caused the followers to break? Was the timing guide the first failure and it led to the other problems? Or did a follower fail first and get caught in the chain and tear the guide apart?

As I am sure plenty of other people will say, beware of MMR engines. There have been many people on this and other forums describing a variety of problems. I can't personally describe any since I have never bought an engine from them.

Which is a shame since I am only an hours drive from them. And it's a really nice drive along the Pacific Coast Highway to get there too.

If I was in the market for a new engine i would look seriously at L&M Engines and Livernois. Both have gotten rave reviews, naturally since they are two of the most expensive too.

I'm pretty sure that the metal backed guides from the 03/03 Cobra will transfer to your engine and that would eliminate that failure point. I hope that someone that has done that drops in to describe any changes required to do it, if any.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
Coyote swap with a twin turbo kit. 650-700rwhp. Even a cammed, bolton Coyote will hit 475-525 rwhp.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
Thank you all for the positive feedback!

oldmodman said:
Are you doing this as an assignment for MM&FF?

This is for my own edification. I like writing, coding, and polishing.

oldmodman said:
I wonder if you will ever know what caused the followers to break? Was the timing guide the first failure and it led to the other problems? Or did a follower fail first and get caught in the chain and tear the guide apart?

We have no clue as to what the initial failure was. I'm tempted to point the finger at the plastic guide because it's only plastic. But I think the assembly that held it in place (follower?) gave out first. Also, I'm struggling to get my vocabulary right here. Is that orange plastic piece a chain guide or a tensioner arm?

I'm hoping folks here can shed some light on what may have happened. I'd like to tear more into the engine to see what we might learn, but we have bigger fish to fry at this point, obviously.

I'm still wondering if my Steeda underdrive pulleys were a factor in the failure.

At the end of the day, I'm *INCREDIBLY* thankful the engine failed in the garage as opposed to the 10 highway.

oldmodman said:
As I am sure plenty of other people will say, beware of MMR engines. There have been many people on this and other forums describing a variety of problems. I can't personally describe any since I have never bought an engine from them...If I was in the market for a new engine i would look seriously at L&M Engines and Livernois. Both have gotten rave reviews, naturally since they are two of the most expensive too.

I've read through a few of the MMR horror story threads. I've also noted a number of success stories too. Having said that, I spent some time reading up on Livernois and browsing their site. I'm impressed. I will very likely be calling them to get a 4.6L longblock quote.

As for the coyote swap, I'm intimidated by the wiring and FEAD challenges there, not to mention the increase in cost.

wurd2

Bingo.
Established Member
B0B said:
awesome build. Your car will be a completely new car with that suspension. I have a front k member package in my mach 1 and a torque arm/panhard bar in my GT.

Yup, I can't wait. Hopefully we get everything squared and aligned properly.

B0B said:
What are your plans for the new engine? I would probably stay mod motor to keep it classy. Do what I did and build a nice bottom end and a whipple or TVS.

I do like your thinking. I'm leaning away from a coyote swap at this point. I will definitely be looking into a Whipple for boost. I want a roots-style supercharger for sure.

Nice stable by the way.

NELCO

Established Member
What Detail....................................Best write up I have ever seen ...............................Great Detail.....................Good luck on your project.

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
I would like to hear more about the Steeda UDP's as well. I had not heard anything negative about them and have one of the crank pulleys on my car now.

Incredible write up. you should be working for a major car publication/web site!!!

Users who are viewing this thread