Mach 1 vs RX7

GRFox

Established Member
I picked up my Mach 1 about 3 weeks ago, Cat Back, CAI, MGW STS. Basically stock.

I had an RX 7 pull up along side of me on the way home in Mexico tonite, I went from 5th to 4th and he started looking so I went in to third, he downshifts a gear and all I hear is a big turbo.....

Three beeps and he jumps on me pretty good, a full 3rd gear from 3K RPM until I he shut it off a little after I hit 4th he was about 2.5 cars. So we line up again. Being a little upset:fm: I go into 2nd at about 4500 RPM, 3 beeps and he jumps me by a half car, I shift to 3rd and he's gone by about 1.5 cars.

We pulled along side each other complemented each others cars and that was the end of it.

My first run in my Mach and I got spanked:mj:. To be expected from a worked RX7 when I am in stock trim.

How much more do you guys think I would have needed to keep up with him? 2.5 cars in a third gear pull... he has got to have a substantial amount more WHP then me.

Last edited:

usmc320

Established Member
They are fairly light cars. I want to say 2700-2800lbs roughly (1993+).

GRFox

Established Member
They are fairly light cars. I want to say 2700-2800lbs roughly (1993+).

From pictures that I was just checking online i was a black 93-95. Had had big tires in the back, and you will have to excuse my ignorance....I don't know the technical terms but it was making all sorts of those "crazy turbo noises" :shrug:.

2007ShelbyCobra

Established Member
needs a good tune, full exhaust and it may be close. Bolt ons dont exactly work well on a stock tune. Fyi, shift before 6500, the stock intake manifold makes peak power at 5500, anything more and your losing power. 1-2 shift can be reved higher though because its so short

Mr Rx-7 tt

Established Member
As far as the Rx-7 they mod easily but it has to be done correctly. A down pipe alone will get you into the mid 12's at 112...You may have just heard his stock blow off valves which were vented to the atmosphere.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Around here there are not alot of RX7's. Most are LS Swapped. I wanted to run my buddies bone stock one before I started taking my car apart for the build but, he thought too much of my car.

clc44

Established Member
Off Road X pipe, good tune and a tire. Those 3 things and a dig run would give you a great chance. I picked up a lot of hp/tq when I added the tune and x pipe.

stagedz

Cobra Convert
Established Member
Until you know what turbo he had you really are just taking a shot in the dark...so I suggest a standalone NX wet kit with a 100shot plumbed...that outta fix your problems

Syndrome2010

Established Member
Minor mods made good gains on the 13B-REW, but there is a very clear path on how to do it reliably and safely. Mazda really went cheap on the systems that support the engine (fuel, cooling, heat extraction). Most early mods required are simply to get the car reliable enough to drive to it's potential. I always loved mine, but far from a perfect car. And no, the engine was not the real issue, regardless of what everyone says. It was under hood heat that made them the money pits that they became. The japanese versions did not have the issues the US ones did. Main culprit being precats near the turbos.

For the mid 1990's it really was an awesome car with 450~550 rwhp attainable in a 2800lb car. These days I'd say it's potential as a street car has been surpassed and thats why I don't mess with them anymore. I hate to say it but the Supra and NSX really proved to be the best of the Japanese cars of those years. While the RX7 had the same potential, it's just too damn costly IMO. Glad there are drivers still racing them though.

LightningSquid

Established Member
I picked up my Mach 1 about 3 weeks ago, Cat Back, CAI, MGW STS. Basically stock.

I had an RX 7 pull up along side of me on the way home in Mexico tonite, I went from 5th to 4th and he started looking so I went in to third, he downshifts a gear and all I hear is a big turbo.....

Three beeps and he jumps on me pretty good, a full 3rd gear from 3K RPM until I he shut it off a little after I hit 4th he was about 2.5 cars. So we line up again. Being a little upset:fm: I go into 2nd at about 4500 RPM, 3 beeps and he jumps me by a half car, I shift to 3rd and he's gone by about 1.5 cars.

We pulled along side each other complemented each others cars and that was the end of it.

My first run in my Mach and I got spanked:mj:. To be expected from a worked RX7 when I am in stock trim.

How much more do you guys think I would have needed to keep up with him? 2.5 cars in a third gear pull... he has got to have a substantial amount more WHP then me.

I don't think it was how much power he had but power to weight. I had a Turbo II anniversary edition back in the day and being so light and able to rev sky high let me pull on anything short of bikes.. but I also dumped about 12k into it.. :rockon:

Mr Rx-7 tt

Established Member
Until you know what turbo he had you really are just taking a shot in the dark...so I suggest a standalone NX wet kit with a 100shot plumbed...that outta fix your problems
That won't tell you much either. Well tuned twins with all the bolt ons and a port job have gone in the tens @ 129 while single turbo cars running low boost with lots of lag are slower than stock.

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member

Just take solace in the fact that he has probably been through 2-3 engines

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Can't wait to LS swap ours.

I want to run one of the LS Swapped ones when my car is finished as they are mostly cam only mods. With the power and weight on both it should be a decent race. Even if I get beat, it will be fun.

Users who are viewing this thread