mach 1 vs. 99-01 cobra...why is this a frustrating topic??

nasty99

Established Member
a buddy of mine has an 04 mach 1.. now i dont get it cuz they have 305 hp and about 320ft/lb torque.... but the 99-01 cobra numbers are better than this sitting at 320hp but a slightly less 317ft/lb torque. what i dont understand is how he is running a 13.2 on 275s and is stock? and alot of 99-01 cobras are running mid to high 13's??

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
Because the Machs are amazing but our cobra's are amazing as well. It is a big thing but a mustang is a mustang. I had my chance to buy a mach when I bought my cobra but I wanted the cobra. When it really comes down to it in a race....it is all about the driver in the mach and cobra realm. Outside that I love them both and I Love my cobra.

nasty99

Established Member
Because the Machs are amazing but our cobra's are amazing as well. It is a big thing but a mustang is a mustang. I had my chance to buy a mach when I bought my cobra but I wanted the cobra. When it really comes down to it in a race....it is all about the driver in the mach and cobra realm. Outside that I love them both and I Love my cobra.

its also frustrating when a guy you know whom was alllll about cobras is suddenly all about mach 1's when he looks online and looks up track times from magezines

corysmach1

Established Member
The machs come with 355s and 5.4 nav cams so thats why they make more torque. When I had my mach and it made 299rwhp I would always beat my buddies 311rwhp 99 cobra it went 12.50 at 110. It seems to me that the Mach is awlays the faster of the 2....but of course i love them all!!

cobra916

Established Member
they are basically the same car.. slight edge to the machs in power but mach is straight line and cobra is for corners.. simple as that.. machs have slightly better heads, intake manifold, gears, and a lil lighter weight

Last edited:

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
Shorter gearing and an easier to launch solid rear make the learning curve better on a Mach.

Aside from that, they are both great cars in their own right and the same driver could do basically the same thing in either car.

nasty99

Established Member
The machs come with 355s and 5.4 nav cams so thats why they make more torque. When I had my mach and it made 299rwhp I would always beat my buddies 311rwhp 99 cobra it went 12.50 at 110. It seems to me that the Mach is awlays the faster of the 2....but of course i love them all!!

well if you went 12.50 thats obviously not stock lol im talking both cars being stock, straight 1/4 all mods aside..

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Search button....this has been beat to death..

Mach has:

*Better gearing (3.55's)
*Better heads and nav cams for better TQ
*SRA
*Weight (However its really pointless argument with less than 100lbs separating the two)

What this means is...... in stock form, machs will run a bit better than 99-01. Divers being equal of course.

IMO from what I have seen, gears are the biggest factor.

From a dig, the cobra driver needs to know how to launch on the IRS. Its obviously harder then the SRA

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i was just reading an old 5.0 magazine from 2003 and they did a three way comparision between a mach1, 99 cobra, and bullitt. check it out, it was a pretty good read

basically tho yes the mach is a better straight line performer because of the softer suspension and solid axle

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Machs and Cobras are both badass! I would still take my seats over a Machs any day. :coolman:

Fuzzy Logic

ʎʇıןɐǝɹ ɹnoʎ ʇɔǝɾǝɹ ן
Established Member
who argues stock times? that's like arguing which canvas is better. within months (prob. even days), both will be modded and stock times will be irrelevant. if we all drove stock machs and 99-01 cobras then the debate would be valid, but keeping them stock isn't what 99.99% of us buy them for.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.

Users who are viewing this thread