mach 1 vs 03 04 cobra

TRXboy

Established Member
Personally. If you want quick bolt on performance, a Cobra will net your more Power, But to built both passed 600RWHP, I believe the Mach is actually the better platform. Lighter, Solid rear already there, but that's just me. Drive bother and see what you like. And who ever said it takes 5 grand to make a Mach keep up with a stock Cobra is out of there mind. With Gears, Midpipe/Cat back, Tune, CAI, and a pair of Nitto shitty D/R's, I ran a 12.55@111.

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
Everybody has some good points. I'll give my .02 on some things mentioned, 1) Saying that the 03/04 Cobras are overrated is one of the most ridiculous statements ever. Farthest thing from the truth. 2) Saying which is the better platform is somewhat a matter of a opinion I guess, but the Cobra just has more to offer. The solid in teh Mach is a definite plus, but IMO does not overcome the other advantages of a Terminator. As I said earlier, if you can afford it, get the Cobra. If not a Mach 1 would be a great alternative.

TT04Cobra

It's Coming.....
Established Member
I never thought I would own a Cobra. But now I do, I don't care if I pay 650 a month, I love the damn thing. With as much as I put into it I could of had the thing more then halfway paid off. Got the mod bug lol.

Neutrinodl18

Established Member
No disrespect but wtf with the solid rear being better than the irs???? If you wanted the solid rear its a 998 dollar mod. drive the irs and then you will never wanna go back. I have driven lots of solid rears and to say the solid is a plus is a little ridiculous. if you feel it is a drawback you can find cobras for sale with the solid rear already swapped. I love the looks of the mach and if I couldn't afford the cobra I would have gotten the mach no question.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
I owned both at the same time. Both were driven daily. It comes down to personl preference. To me......well, the mach stayed. Both cars were going to be bolt on performers. It came down to which we (my ex-wife now) liked the looks of and which was more economical. The answer was the mach. The clutch in the cobra sucks for daily driving. The mach shifts smoother and rides just fine. Do I miss my cobra...OF COURSE. but I wouldnt do anything different. Heck....now I have an 03 mach that has more power than a bolt on terminator and handles almost as well (H and R sports springs with 18s - 285/35s).

If you want a track whore the cobra is better out of the box (once you get used to the launching). If you want a DD with some power..I say mach. Plus..most people under estimate the machs.

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
You can't go wrong either way. They are both bad ass cars and both can be made plenty fast. Do all the boltons with a 125 to 150 shot with slicks on the mach and you have a 10 sec. ride. Same with a cobra but without the juice needed. Bolt ons a port and some sticky tires can net you 10's. I love the looks of both and to be honest a cobra front bumper cover on a mach with it's bulging hood is probably the best looking mustang ever. As for rears, it just depends on what you're into. IRS rides great, but for a track whore like me, I had to go solid. I say get whatever you can find the best deal on and mod away.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
F8LSNAKE said:
You can't go wrong either way. They are both bad ass cars and both can be made plenty fast. Do all the boltons with a 125 to 150 shot with slicks on the mach and you have a 10 sec. ride. Same with a cobra but without the juice needed. Bolt ons a port and some sticky tires can net you 10's. I love the looks of both and to be honest a cobra front bumper cover on a mach with it's bulging hood is probably the best looking mustang ever. As for rears, it just depends on what you're into. IRS rides great, but for a track whore like me, I had to go solid. I say get whatever you can find the best deal on and mod away.

I agree 100%! :thumbsup:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
BrookhavenTuner said:
The thing that I love about the Machs is that only a few mods can net you mid 12's N/A.

The thing I love about the Terminator is it's already a 12 second car and with less than 1300 in mods you can get in the 11's....

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Mach1USMC said:
The thing I love about the Terminator is it's already a 12 second car and with less than 1300 in mods you can get in the 11's....

Yeah, but the difference in 1300 in mods in a term, and what it costs to make a mach go 11s, you'll be using to fix your IRS.

LOL - Just playing man...I just had too.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
ponygt65 said:
Yeah, but the difference in 1300 in mods in a term, and what it costs to make a mach go 11s, you'll be using to fix your IRS.

LOL - Just playing man...I just had too.

I know what you mean bro and it's very true- but bushings and an IRS brace are less the $200

ok- so you got me for an xtra 200 bucks, as long as you put it on before you explode it.

Don't get me wrong- I LOVE my Mach, I just have no illusions about which is the superior car. Right now I'm working on swapping for an IRS and getting forged internals. Then FI here I come:rockon: I'll see 11's soon enough. Still can't wait to get another Terminator though.

Meant to ask you- does the PHP spacer do anything for you? Is it worth the $?

Last edited:

redcreep1

Established Member
Man thats a tough one. I love my S-197 and hate to part with it but have never owned a Mach or Cobra so I'm in the same boat looking at both. I like the Cobra for it's forged internals and F/I power but don't like the hefty price. Anyway each one I come across has either been extremely modded or just beaten to death with the owner trying to hide it's history. On the other hand, I'm a N/A fan so the Mach1 with it being cheaper might be the way to go. I definitely don't see them as often as I'd like. Mach1 or 03/04 Cobra. We'll see!

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
redcreep1 said:
Man thats a tough one. I love my S-197 and hate to part with it but have never owned a Mach or Cobra so I'm in the same boat looking at both. I like the Cobra for it's forged internals and F/I power but don't like the hefty price. Anyway each one I come across has either been extremely modded or just beaten to death with the owner trying to hide it's history. On the other hand, I'm a N/A fan so the Mach1 with it being cheaper might be the way to go. I definitely don't see them as often as I'd like. Mach1 or 03/04 Cobra. We'll see!

Still can't go wrong with either- just know that it'll take a lot more $ to make the Mach fast safely. And I know what you mean about the Terminators. I got really lucky when I found mine, mid 50's gent with an itch for speed. Mods were professionally done, 13k miles, never raced or abused, very conservative tune- it was his weekend car- That's what I'm looking for when I get back to CONUS. I know it's out there. Honestly I've been looking at some of the Termi's on this board and if you look you can find them for less than 20k...cheaper than some Mach's out there. GL bro with whatever you decide. :thumbsup:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
i will throw in my 2 cents. if your looking for big power, go with the svt they can handle 600rwhp effectively.

for me the mach 1 has 3 advantages. its 200lbs lighter, looks a lot better, and does not have that damn blower whine! the mach 1 is able to reach the low 12's with a number of basic mods.

the question for me would be mach 1 or z06, the vettes are now selling in the high 20's.

03AV8R

Established Member
ON D BIT said:
i will throw in my 2 cents. if your looking for big power, go with the svt they can handle 600rwhp effectively.

for me the mach 1 has 3 advantages. its 200lbs lighter, looks a lot better, and does not have that damn blower whine! the mach 1 is able to reach the low 12's with a number of basic mods.

the question for me would be mach 1 or z06, the vettes are now selling in the high 20's.

I was the hi bidder yesterday at dealer auction on a black Z06 at $18K.. Seller wouldnt sell at that price & nobody else was coming along?? It books for $24K & i woulda went to 20K easily but nobody else was bidding & i wasnt gonna bid against myself ya know?? Mighta had an accident report or something for all i know?? Seems like alot of em wont actually bring the money at auction anymore?? Especially the ones that say 405 HP on the side badge.. :??:

ttown

Established Member
I could have got either but ended up with 2 Mach 1's. An 03 5 speed and 04 auto. Why? I think it's the best looking car of the Mustangs and in recent history they only made them 2 years. The problem with the Cobra's are they have a very heavy clutch for in-town driving and if your chasing HP a Cobra's not going to have enough power anyway. I went through that phase already and I'm happy just driving the car to it's best. It seems most don't learn how to drive a car correctly they think they just need more HP. No regrets here.

svtcobrar2004

Established Member
are you crazy!? get the cobra.. people fear that name. and cobra just sounds meaner. the power is amazing.. and the IRS can be built for straightline and drag racing. GET THE COBRA!

Users who are viewing this thread