mach 1 vs 03 04 cobra

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
Its a pretty tough decision(atleast for me). Machs are getting into the high teens price wise, while Terminators are dipping into the low low 20's. If you can afford the extra 4-6k the 03/04 Snake will cost, I say that is the best choice. Forged internals, 6speed, factory blower, better looking interior(IMO), and knowing you drive one of the absolute sickest Mustangs ever built. On the other hand the Mach 1 is an amazing performer, and with bolt ons and some gears + suspension mods can run right with stock Cobras. Awaiting others thoughts....:pop:

Shackleford

Established Member
I'd rather have a Cobra. But I own a Mach. I couldn't justify paying $30K for a used Mustang last year when I bought the Mach. Recently there has been a lot for sale on this forum for decent prices though. It kills me because I want one so bad, but would lose so much money on the Mach it'd be stupid to do it. So I've given up the thought of ever owning one. I'll keep the Mach for another year and sell it and buy something brand brand new. But blah blah.

I've said it before but I personally can't see any reason other than price that someone would buy a Mach over a Cobra.

BrookhavenTuner

Established Member
I took the Mach over the Cobra, it would be about 6k more for the cobraa over the mach in my area an my aim is just 300whp, 12's and great handeling. I can get all that in the mach and not spend the other 6k.

It fit my needs.

radaman

Established Member
blackice said:
iam going to buy one whicj is the alll around better deal
The cobra is a all around better starting platform. Think about it...forged longblock and can handle 800rwhp with a good tune. The mach 1 is a nice looking piece, but it aint no cobra...03/04 cobra anyway. Insurance will be the killer if you are a young person, but shop around for the best price. good luck.

Last edited:

MaCaNs

Filth, Flarn, Filth
Established Member
I traded in my 03 Mach (black) for an 04 Cobra (Torch Red). The Mach looked meaner, but the performance is what makes the Cobra more special.

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
I picked the mach because of the prices on the cobras here in socal(those of you in socal knows what im talking about) For a daily driver the mach is definitely better than the cobra. The clutch is a bit softer. But if i have the extra cash i would definitely get a cobra. The power is just unbelievable.

F8L_50

Banned
Cobra nothing beats a forged block the price you would pay to forge your block and put a blower on it if you ever decided it is much more then 6k.

As for insurence it shouldnt be much more. In fact a friend of mine had an 02 GT i think it was and got an 04 Cobra and his insurence went down lol wierd. The insurence company said that some one who can afford a car to that caliber would respect it more then a GT

Angus

Established Member
Mach 1

It's lighter from the factory, has a solid axle to start & the engine can be built to perform exactly the same as an '03/'04 Cobra engine while weighing ~ 90 lbs less...

Just my opinion though. ;-)

Jfoster

Established Member
If you want a straight line bullit - cobra.

If you want to do some suspension work and go fast around the corners, the mach is lighter all around (aluminum block, lighter tranny and solid axle).

nrmustang

Established Member
I bought an 03' Mach 1 brand new, sold it at 29,000 miles and bought an 03' Cobra (1st one) with 3,400 miles for less than the Mach new.

But as stated earlier Mach 1's are 4-6,000 cheaper than Cobra's now and you see less Mach's for sale than Cobra's. But that 4-6,000 savings will easily be spent if you plan to Mod.

Would I go back to a Mach 1 from my Cobra.....no way.:burnout:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
blackice said:
iam going to buy one whicj is the alll around better deal

Get the Terminator you will NOT regret it. Performance wise there is no comparison. Not that the Mach is a bad car because it's not. But just to get it to the same performance level as a stock Cobra it takes about 5g's.

On the other hand if you are just looking for a rare mustang it doesn't get much more rare than a Mach- much fewer were produced than Cobras. If that's what you are looking for go that route. But if you are looking for a mean machine that will smoke any car in it's class- Terminator is the way to go. Having owned both and still driving the Mach (love them both- but there really is no comparison), I'll be buying another terminator in the next year or two.

Just my .02

troymach1one

Established Member
Get the Mach 1

I bought mine after driving a Cobra, Saleen, and a Trans Am. I absolutely fell in love with the looks of the car. I ended up supercharging mine along with many other mods, and everywhere I go the car gets alot of attention. There are very few mach's where I live. Obviously a Cobra is a sweet car, if you have the extra cash and drive them both, buy what you like. Also what are your plans for the car.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Mach1Marauder said:
Cobras are overrated!
I bought a Mach1 the day AFTER I test drove a Cobra.

LOTTA Cobras around. Not that many Mach1s floating around

Cobras are over-rated compared to what? Z06's?- certainly NOT over-rated compared to the Mach.

Mach= Ultra rare phenominal platform. Great performer out of the box.

Terminator= Not as rare platform, but- far superior drivetrain, faster, better for mods, can hold more HP, better suspension once you get used to it......the list goes on and on. The Terminator is the best mustang made for the $- bar none.

Last edited:

OrangeMach23

BOOSTIDMACH
Established Member
Mach1USMC said:
Cobras are over-rated compared to what? Z06's?- certainly NOT over-rated compared to the Mach.

Mach= Ultra rare phenominal platform. Great performer out of the box.

Terminator= Not as rare platform, but- far superior drivetrain, faster, better for mods, can hold more HP, better suspension once you get used to it......the list goes on and on. The Terminator is the best mustang made for the $- bar none.

You could not have said it better my friend. I have driven both as daily drivers and the Cobra is a better riding car with the IRS and the EATON makes that sweet little sound when foot is in the accelerator. I love my MACH and will never get rid of it but as for bad out of the box with limited modding to go FAST. The Cobra is the better choice. :D

98cobra4.6

Blow me away.....
Established Member
I would much rather have a mach than a 03-04 cobra, the mach looks 10x better and dosent have IRS.

Users who are viewing this thread