MACA Diagnosis please

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
Sorry to start a stupid thread, but the search button is incognito at the moment. I am pretty sure I have this issue pegged (with some timely advise from Billy Wise), but figured I would pick the brains of the greatest Cobra club in history.

Here's the issue: The Sherminator has developed a stumble at idle that has me a lil worried. The car revs fine, but begins to stumble on decel and then idles like crap. Billy mentioned the FRPS which makes perfect sense to me. I checked the oil and it smells of fuel, which would also point to FRPS if I am not mistaken. Any other ideas?? Thanks guys!!

Last edited:

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
When my FRPS failed it also stumbled when going full throttle or even close to full throttle. It seemed to do that more than stumbling at idle. A while back I had trouble with the car stumbling at idle and stalling when coming off the gas and slowing down quickly. That turned out to be a small gap in my cold air system just in front of the MAF. I had cleaned the air filter and it was not fully seated when I reinstalled it.

If it is the FRPS, at least it's an easy fix and I'm sure you know... change the oil and filter.

ScottinSSMD

gotta 996TT too!
Established Member
Also, check you MAF sensor. A slight adjustment can show more turbulence than usual too.

Not to scare you but, later down the line when I finally did the ported swap I did have a major problem with the check valve in the tank. Mine actually exploded and left me stranded. If you haven't removed this, you could be getting a funky fuel feed.

Snakesvt04

SCREW THIS
Established Member
have you checked all the plugs. but it does sound like the frps is starting to go. if it is the frps i have one for sale that i'm not using anymore, 25$ and its yours

TRBO VNM

you can also pull the vac line off the frps and smell it and see if it has a strong fuel odor.

sometimes the car doesn't even run when the frps goes.

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
you can also pull the vac line off the frps and smell it and see if it has a strong fuel odor.

sometimes the car doesn't even run when the frps goes.

Uhh, yeah, tell me about it lol. I was stranded at Mustang week and Richie came and saved the day:rockon::banana:

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
Thanks guys. I will definitely check the plugs, coils and intake. I have some MAF cleaner, so I will go ahead and clean that as well. What else would cause my oil to reek of fuel tho?

Scott, if you are talking abut the PPRV, mine was removed last spring.

Carlos, I will take that FRPS off your hand for sure. That will be a quick easy fix if that is the culprit. I am right up the street from you in Urbana, so let me know when I can swing by and pick it up!

Users who are viewing this thread