MACA, Anyone know anything about MD Emissions?

JPD5801

Established Member
Well, I took my car to the emissions testing station in westminster today, and my car failed. It passed all the testing except the "oxides of Nitrogen" part of the treadmill test.

I am fairly new to the mustang scene, and you all seem to know a lot about cobras/mustangs. Does anyone know what could cause this? Almost forgot, I have a 1993 GT, and it has shorty headers, stock midpipe, and flowmaster catback. Those are the only mods I know of. The motor runs very strong(no misses, stalls, or backfiring).
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
-Jason

TRBO VNM

how old are the cat's? is it the same one that came with it from the factory?

Billy(wiseguy) might have some info since he does inspections and everything. they never told you what was really wrong?

JPD5801

Established Member
Well, I believe they are factory cats. They have all the Ford info on them, so I assume they are factory. The emissions tech simply said that it failed, gave me the print outs, and told me that my mechanic should be able to tell me what was wrong.

Could it be my oxygen sensors?

RAWSN8K

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc
Established Member
MAke sure that your Smog Pump is still hooked up. Considering that it puts air into your exhaust in order to dilute the emissions, it may not be hooked up or hooked up correctly. Just a thought.

Todd

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
A buddy of mine runs catless on his H/C/I foxbody and he said dumping rubbing alcohol in the car before getting it emissions tested makes it pass with flying colors.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
sunburned said:
A buddy of mine runs catless on his H/C/I foxbody and he said dumping rubbing alcohol in the car before getting it emissions tested makes it pass with flying colors.
With an OBD hookup or just the sniffer?

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
It's an '88 so I dunno if he even had an OBD hookup. Pretty sure it was just the sniffer test that it helped out on. Brought his particle levels or whatever wayyy down.

Users who are viewing this thread