MAC Long Tube owners...I need opinions

TT04Cobra

It's Coming.....
Established Member
black03 said:
I don't have any pics to share of the headers on an 03-04 Cobra however I can tell you they are the highest off the ground out of all the longtubes for our cars offering the best ground clearance. Jared

You sure they're the highest off the ground? Cuz my BBK's are almost touching the body of mine.

04torchred

Established Member
I will throw a picture up of the ground clearance on the Mac LT tonight. They have quiet a bit. My bro has BBK's on his Mach 1 and we have about the same clearance give or take.

They are nice headers and seem to be working well for me. You can remove the tranny without dropping the headers. Install must be done with the K-member dropped. Sound is good and smooth with my off road prochamber. My only problem is not buying stainless steel because I live in Canada and drove my car through two winters with these headers so the coating has come off the collectors a bit and there is some rust now. However if you only drive in the summer you will have zero issues with these headers I am pretty sure. For the cost I am happy.

dvast8n

Boost Junkie
Established Member
- Aj - said:
That sux. Why did you change your mind?
From what I've been told Long Tubes are for higher boost applications and as you know I won't be installing the Steige IV that I bought from you (sigh..). So here I sit with parts I've bought and need to sell.

dvast8n

Boost Junkie
Established Member
UPDATE:

If I don't sell this tonight or tomorrow morning, I'll go ahead and install the items and post up the video! It should sound awesome!

dvast8n

Boost Junkie
Established Member
I started the install today. I got the passenger side off and the long tube header in place. Just need another 2 skinny arms to start the bolts. Looks like tomorrow I will drop the K-member if this will make my life easier! LOL

04torchred

Established Member
dvast8n said:
I started the install today. I got the passenger side off and the long tube header in place. Just need another 2 skinny arms to start the bolts. Looks like tomorrow I will drop the K-member if this will make my life easier! LOL

Drop it right now and don't even fight with the bolts. My father and I tried putting the Mac LT in without dropping the K-member at first then we realized they are different then my brothers BBK's. You will go much faster dropping the K-member man, trust me.

dvast8n

Boost Junkie
Established Member
I dropped the K-member this morning. Got the passenger side all button up and the starter back in. I ran into some issues on the driver side. The flange closest to the firewall was off by at least a bolt hole. Getting the EGR tube on was a pain. I'll probaby wrap it up after work tomorrow.

04torchred

Established Member
dvast8n said:
I dropped the K-member this morning. Got the passenger side all button up and the starter back in. I ran into some issues on the driver side. The flange closest to the firewall was off by at least a bolt hole. Getting the EGR tube on was a pain. I'll probaby wrap it up after work tomorrow.

Make sure you leave the one starter bolt out. I believe it is the upper most bolt. It will make removal of the starter that much easier when it comes time to do a clutch swap down the road. It isn't needed either by the way, the two other bolts hold it strong enough. Just double check which bolt you leave out it has been over a year since I pulled mine so I sort of forget which one I left out.

MVD

Established Member
04torchred said:
Make sure you leave the one starter bolt out. I believe it is the upper most bolt. It will make removal of the starter that much easier when it comes time to do a clutch swap down the road. It isn't needed either by the way, the two other bolts hold it strong enough. Just double check which bolt you leave out it has been over a year since I pulled mine so I sort of forget which one I left out.

I'm sorry but suggesting to leave out a bolt that is purposly put there is not sound advise. Just use a long 3/8" drive extension and go from the front of the motor......piece of cake to access all 3 bolts.

dvast8n

Boost Junkie
Established Member
I got everything in and fired it up this morning and sad to say it has a exhaust leak in the driver's side header. I'll get this fixed and post up a video so you guys can hear what it sounds like.

dvast8n

Boost Junkie
Established Member
As promised!!

Here's the finished product! What I installed was MAC LT, Lethal X-Pipe and left the stock catback. I have a SLP LM coming on the 20th. I also installed H&R Race springs and ran 1 isolator instead of both (lower iso on rear, upper iso on the front).

Here's before and after:

svt-install002.jpg

svt-install010.jpg

svt-install011.jpg

svt-install006.gif

svt-install008.gif

Sound clip/vid: Start up, rev 2k, rev 3k, rev 4-5k.
th_svt-install012.jpg

Things I would of done different:

1. Drop the K Member sooner! So much easier when it's out of the way.

Things that helped out a lot:

1.Dropping the K Member
2.Having stubby and ratcheting combination wrenches
3.Thread the stage 8 header bolts before installing new headers
4.Using zip ties to hold the caliper out the way and hold the steering rack to the front sway bar while the K member was out.

I'm sure there's more but those were the major things that helped out a lot.

Last edited:

dvast8n

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Maybe in a another thread I can put the basics on how to do the install. I don't have many pictures of the whole install. Once I get my slp lm installed I will probably try my mac o/r H.

Users who are viewing this thread