MAC 2.5 or 3"???

Unistang

Established Member
Guys,

I'm planning on slapping an exhaust on this spring and I'm pretty set on going with a MAC o/r prochamber and a MAC cat-back, just don't know whether or not to go with the 3" or the 2.5" for the Cat-back. What is the main difference? Is there a noticable sound difference or is it just volume cause if they both sound relatively the same...I'm takin the quieter one. Fill me in.

Any clips of this setup?

-Nick:pepper:

03TrchRedCobra

Established Member
3" sounds better imo. But i wouldn't do a 3" if your still stock. 2.5 will sound just about the same i think. I've never heard it so i don't know.

Unistang

Established Member
I'm getting the jist that 2.5 is the way to go. The only way i'm really going to benefit from the size increase to a 3 inch is with headers and 3" h pipe no? Louder sound would be all I'd gain?

Correct me if i'm wrong.

03TrchRedCobra

Established Member
A friend has full Mac on his car, but he bought it like that. It does sound good. If you do a ported Eaton with a upper/lower or a Whipple or KB then get the 3". Mac is a pita to install though, you'll be cussing alot. What are your current mods & what are your future plans for your car?

painintheass

Established Member
I've got the mac O/R prochamber and the 2.5 SS catback, bought it brand new. It's frickin loud and you have to sorta yell back and forth with passengers. Sounds mean as hell, I did feel a loss in power, becasue I took off the C/B and tried the FR500 and noticed a difference in power. From what I could gather, I lost low end torque. But, I plan on to put on the Mac C/B back on in the summer after my warranty is over. Beware of all the on lookers, meaning people will bitch at you and think your driving fast and your not. I had many occassions where people yelled at me to slow down and I wasn't even on it ????? The rear pipes are odd when they stick out. They are at an angle and this is normal I hear from other owners. There is fitting issues, I recommend getting it welded. I have exhaust leaks all over and I have to wrench'em tight all the time. Especially with the O/R prochamber to headers, I get a ticking noise. I do not know how to keep these tight enough? Unless the ticking noise is the head problem for me? I had trouble with the driver side header bolts, I had to drill in new holes and put in different screws, nuts and bolts. Do not forget the MIL eliminators. Another thing is I know when I start to have exhaust leaks by my clothes stinking really bad with exhaust. Also, I can smell it at stop lights coming in the car. Maybe this well help you to know you have leaks. Hope this helps, sorry for the grammar its a little late for me and I cannot sleep.:-D

Last edited:

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
One of my boys has the Mac 3'' on his Mystichrome. It is LOUD! It sounds good though. But what I was getting at is his pipes almost have a hole melted in one of them from the heat. I'm not sure if it is fitment issues that caused it to rub against something, or just the diameter of the pipe near a source of heat that caused it. But there is a good size indentation on his pipe that is forming a hole. I doubt it melts all the way thru and actually put a hole in it though. But its close to doing that. It's been installed on his car for over a year now. BTW, he has the dura black pipes.

I'm not trying to get on Mac about its quality either. Just giving you some added info on the 3'' system. Maybe this has happened to someone else??... But I love how Mac sounds. If I didn't have Flows, I'd be running with Mac regardless of this happening. Personally, I'd gladly sacrifice a little power and/or less quality for a good sounding Mustang.

Unistang

Established Member
Plans for the car? I have plenty of them but they are just plans and will probably stay that way. More realistically... probably a pully, intake, HE, lower it 1.5, beef up the rear a bit... who knows what'll actually get done. Damn... I keep hearing everyone complaing about how loud this system is. I want something deep, but that doesn't make me deaf in the car. MAC seems very good for the price... any recommendations? Keep in mind i don't want to make a statement in the next town over when i'm driving down the street.

Thanks guys

03 svtvenom

Repent!!!
Established Member
PWORLDSTANG said:
One of my boys has the Mac 3'' on his Mystichrome. It is LOUD! It sounds good though. But what I was getting at is his pipes almost have a hole melted in one of them from the heat. I'm not sure if it is fitment issues that caused it to rub against something, or just the diameter of the pipe near a source of heat that caused it. But there is a good size indentation on his pipe that is forming a hole. I doubt it melts all the way thru and actually put a hole in it though. But its close to doing that. It's been installed on his car for over a year now. BTW, he has the dura black pipes.

I'm not trying to get on Mac about its quality either. Just giving you some added info on the 3'' system. Maybe this has happened to someone else??...

Are you sure it is not where the pipes are so close to the sheild that is covering the fuel tank? Because my Stingers did that and melted into it. Have him crawl up under there and look. I bet you that is what it is. Probably the dura black with the black shield just makes it look like that.

03TrchRedCobra

Established Member
Mine is LOUD but i have full exhaust on. If your only gonna do the basic bolt ons then you might want to get a 2.5 instead of the 3". I knew my car was gonna be loud but not as loud as it is. I got pulled over for reckless driving in my car & all i did was leave a red light slipping the clutch at 2k & shifting at 2k only going 20 mph. Hell he came flying up behing me 2 mins earlier & almost hit my car cos he thought i was racing a mini-van & i was going 45 mph in 5th. So that should give you an idea as to how loud it would be with a 3" lol. Unless you know the cops in your area well i would just get the 2.5 with a pro-chamber.

TT04Cobra

It's Coming.....
Established Member
painintheass said:
I've got the mac O/R prochamber and the 2.5 SS catback, bought it brand new. It's frickin loud and you have to sorta yell back and forth with passengers. Sounds mean as hell, I did feel a loss in power, becasue I took off the C/B and tried the FR500 and noticed a difference in power. From what I could gather, I lost low end torque. But, I plan on to put on the Mac C/B back on in the summer after my warranty is over. Beware of all the on lookers, meaning people will bitch at you and think your driving fast and your not. I had many occassions where people yelled at me to slow down and I wasn't even on it ????? The rear pipes are odd when they stick out. They are at an angle and this is normal I hear from other owners. There is fitting issues, I recommend getting it welded. I have exhaust leaks all over and I have to wrench'em tight all the time. Especially with the O/R prochamber to headers, I get a ticking noise. I do not know how to keep these tight enough? Unless the ticking noise is the head problem for me? I had trouble with the driver side header bolts, I had to drill in new holes and put in different screws, nuts and bolts. Do not forget the MIL eliminators. Another thing is I know when I start to have exhaust leaks by my clothes stinking really bad with exhaust. Also, I can smell it at stop lights coming in the car. Maybe this well help you to know you have leaks. Hope this helps, sorry for the grammar its a little late for me and I cannot sleep.:-D

I kno what u mean with exhaust leaks, i've had them ever since i've had headers, about 3 weeks ago i changed the gaskets on my headers do to a leak but this time i bought locking header bolts. No problems yet. I RECOMMEND ANYONE DOING HEADERS GET LOCKING HEADER BOLTS WHEN U DO THEM. ITS CHEAP INSURANCE.

djtyau

Established Member
Yeah, the MACs require a lot tweaking. Turning of pipes to make them fit better, messing with the tips, etc. However, the sound is the best so far in my experience. I think I will stay with this setup for a long time. Oh yeah, I have the 2.5 catback and it is loud enough for me.

CbraSvt01

Banned
I just installed a 2.5 stainless catback yesterday. Took me about 2 hours to do it by myself. Im very anal though, I made sure the mufflers were level to the ground, all clamps at the same angle, and of course making sure the driver side and passenger side tailpipes were also parrallel to the gound. For the most part everything fit pretty good. The passenger side tailpipe is resting on the gas tank so I will have to adjust that somehow. The tips are a little complicated, but overall a great design. You have full adjustability with them, I angled mine up to hug the bumper line. I think it looks great as it reminds me of the old fox bodies and lx coupes back in the day. I would def go with the 2.5 inch, mainly because its such a tight fit under there I couldnt imagaine how a 3 inch would clear everything.

Oh and of course the sound is sick, and this is just with the catback on the stock H. I describe it as flowmasters on roids.

Last edited:

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
where did you all buy them from? I havent found a place that sells the 3 in yet, maybe I am looking in the wrongplace.

Users who are viewing this thread