M&h 185/55/17??????????

auto02

Motivator
Established Member
Just picked up a used set from a member here and the side wall's have a good bit of splitting. Should I run these or did I just make a bad purchase? If they're ok to run please let me know your opinions, thank's...

Last edited:

auto02

Motivator
Established Member
I have hoosier and they do same thing ....Dont worry run them...

Thanks man! I'm in contact with seller and certainly don't want this thread getting ugly. He's being extremely cool to deal with and if it's simply a cosmetic issue then I have no problem with that! Just wanting advice from others who might have delt with the splitting issue.

hot1le

Established Member
Yeah I have the same tires and mine are doing the same thing. I was worried about it but if they all do it I guess I wont worry anymore.

04compgt

Established Member
I am the seller and by no means am I out to rip anyone off. I certainly do not want anyone hurt over a set of tires or any money. I never noticed this failure and to add to all of this I just bought a set of 15" front runners from M&H which I am extremely worried about now. Those of you with sidewall splitting have any issues or is it just cosmetic? Please advice thank you!

4VFTW

Established Member
the tires are overloaded on these cars , even with 40psi they look like they have 15psi in them and thats why they develope cracks.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Mine have cracks as well. I have an almost new set ready to go in but it seems that the cracks are only on the outer layer of the sidewall. Its weird. I have been tuning them lime this for quite some time because they have so much thread left.

SVTPete83

Established Member
That sucks n I just ordered a set of these as they were the only skinny 17's I could find. Lame

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
They were not designed for the load rating required by the Mustang. Not really good to use them for more than driving to the track and back, and that is within a reasonable distance.

You should see how much worse they look on the front of a GT500.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
I think I will try the Hoosiers next time. Eventhough they seem a bit to wide for the 4.5 inch wheels.

NTXRockr

Established Member
I got rid of them for this very reason, and decided to go to a 17x7 with either the cooper zeon's or similar tire up front to handle the weight load better. Mine with very little use and 55psi started cracking, and a couple friends have had them crack and fail on them. It's a known issue, and largely due to the weight load on such a small tire. I'm hoping someone comes out with a better tire for the skinnies soon as I'd prefer to run that on the track.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

auto02

Motivator
Established Member
I got rid of them for this very reason, and decided to go to a 17x7 with either the cooper zeon's or similar tire up front to handle the weight load better. Mine with very little use and 55psi started cracking, and a couple friends have had them crack and fail on them. It's a known issue, and largely due to the weight load on such a small tire. I'm hoping someone comes out with a better tire for the skinnies soon as I'd prefer to run that on the track.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Fail as in blew out?

125oh

Established Member
How long or miles have you all had your on ? I've had mine for about 3000 miles , just went down and checked them and didn't see any .

Users who are viewing this thread