Lund Racing Flex Fuel Tunes now available!!!

wolfman311

Established Member
More info and DETAILS about this please!

Here is some info once you request for the updated flex fuel tune. I got this from Jon II:

"All you need to do to ideally switch between fuel is get the tank down to close to 0 miles to Empty then fill up with the other fuel. The PCM will learn the ethanol content within about 10 mins of driving. It starts happening pretty quickly and may learn quicker, but I'm telling people 10 mins just to be safe. The tune will auto adjust commanded fueling at WOT to take advantage of the octane with more ethanol and it'll advance timing to take advantage also."

Its not every little detail but it gives you an idea.

lshin037

Established Member
According to Jon II, this is only for NA applications but maybe down the road for boosted applications after more testing. But still require a return setup

Last edited:

Shaun@AED

A word of caution: (likely why it's not offered for boost)

I did flex fuel tunes a few years ago on boosted F150's in anticipation for the Mustang platform and the logic is such that the 'Base' tune (gasoline) must be programmed within a few % of correct (Stoich, injector data, and maf curve).

The ECU uses fuel trims to infer ethanol content after a fill up (2-3 gallons normally all that is needed). If the fuel trims are off for another reason (vacuum / exhaust leak, or a part change) the ECU will adjust the ethanol content to compensate for the change. This can mean adding timing and leaning the fuel mixture at WOT when a car is exhibiting a mechanical problem rather than a change in ethanol.

As a result I did flex fuel tunes for daily driving so customers could swap back and forth with relative ease, but for racing TRUE E85 and a specific E85 was to be used.

Keep in mind this was with a boosted application where the increase in ignition timing is drastic vs pump gas.

helloWorld

Established Member
I just talked to Terry on phone from Beefcake. I asked him, "So, I can literally have some 91 octane in my gas tank, decide on a whim that I want to fill the rest up with E-85, and the computer will automatically adjust everything?" He responded back with, "Yes."

I think thats pretty cool.

I also asked him if the computer will eventually increase the timing for E-85 and he also said that it will.

AKDMB

Established Member
A word of caution: (likely why it's not offered for boost)

I did flex fuel tunes a few years ago on boosted F150's in anticipation for the Mustang platform and the logic is such that the 'Base' tune (gasoline) must be programmed within a few % of correct (Stoich, injector data, and maf curve).

The ECU uses fuel trims to infer ethanol content after a fill up (2-3 gallons normally all that is needed). If the fuel trims are off for another reason (vacuum / exhaust leak, or a part change) the ECU will adjust the ethanol content to compensate for the change. This can mean adding timing and leaning the fuel mixture at WOT when a car is exhibiting a mechanical problem rather than a change in ethanol.

As a result I did flex fuel tunes for daily driving so customers could swap back and forth with relative ease, but for racing TRUE E85 and a specific E85 was to be used.

Keep in mind this was with a boosted application where the increase in ignition timing is drastic vs pump gas.

+1, only downside to flex fuel tunes on these cars

redline5.0

Established Member
I just talked to Terry on phone from Beefcake. I asked him, "So, I can literally have some 91 octane in my gas tank, decide on a whim that I want to fill the rest up with E-85, and the computer will automatically adjust everything?" He responded back with, "Yes."

I think thats pretty cool.

I also asked him if the computer will eventually increase the timing for E-85 and he also said that it will.

You could do that but you would be way better off getting the tank as low as possible and then fill up with e85. If you have half a tank for 93 and half a tank of e85 you wont really notice any gains. so you might as well run it down before filling it up with e85.

Last edited:

helloWorld

Established Member
I just spoke with Terry about datalogging as well for this. For those of us who need the injector swap, you will probably do your first datalogging on pump gas. After revisions are done for that, then you will proceed to do datalogging on E-85. Hopefully everything will be done by then to provide data for smooth transitions.

Shaun@AED

I forgot there was 1 other issue we ran into with flex fuel calibrations.

The Ethanol content is stored in Keep Alive Memory, which means a KAM reset will erase the learned ethanol content. If you have full E85 in the tank and a KAM reset is performed the ECU reverts fueling back to Gasoline and the vehicle will be extremely difficult to start up.

Keep this in mind if it happens to you, it's not a tune issue it's part of the Flex fuel strategy which defaults stoich to programmed (gasoline) and adjusts from there for ethanol content.

Holovacko

Established Member
I don't want to keep asking the same question over and over, but I could switch from 93 to FTW E85 without issue and see the same type gain others are getting, or will I just see some improvement? In other words, is the ECU limited on how much it can adjust for E85 or will it completely adjust for the full benefits of fuels like FTW E85?

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I don't want to keep asking the same question over and over, but I could switch from 93 to FTW E85 without issue and see the same type gain others are getting, or will I just see some improvement? In other words, is the ECU limited on how much it can adjust for E85 or will it completely adjust for the full benefits of fuels like FTW E85?

lund will have it set to add timing if the knock sensors are happy

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member
Has anyone used this on a 11/14 NA car and if so let me know how you feel about the tune and any ET changes... Thanks

helloWorld

Established Member
I am sure there are quite a lot of people using these new FlexFuel tunes with absolutely no issues.

Before I sold my '13 5.0, I ran my AED FlexFuel tune for close to ten months and many, many thousands of miles with absolutely no issue.

kevin2970

NSFW302
Established Member
Has anyone used this on a 11/14 NA car and if so let me know how you feel about the tune and any ET changes... Thanks

Yes I am currently running Lund's FF tune. Definitely some power pick up and a smoother throttle. You can be half filled with 91 and switch over without issue. I don't have info on track gains though. I was getting such bad knock with 91 at any AZ gas station that the FF tune was a no brainer.

Users who are viewing this thread