Lund Flex Fuel Tune on 11-14

fordman2012

Established Member
please forgive me for not knowing much about the flex fuel tune process and im sure if I did a little searching I could find this information however when you get your tunes from Lund do you run it with 91 or 93 first datalog and then switch to e85 and then datalog there and the car will adjust based on lambda and the stoich of the mixture or do you just load the tune and your good to throw whatever fuel you want and datalog just to check it and for adjustments if needed?

Thanks for the help!

helloWorld

Established Member
You'll do your first datalog with only gasoline in the tank. The logs will be checked to make sure that your engine is running well. Then, you will get your flex fuel tune. You will drive around until you have the least amount of fuel in your tank that you are comfortable with having and then you will fill up with E85. You have to drive around for about 20 to 30 miles to let the E85 get through the fuel system and then you can start your datalogging with the E85.

fordman2012

Established Member
You'll do your first datalog with only gasoline in the tank. The logs will be checked to make sure that your engine is running well. Then, you will get your flex fuel tune. You will drive around until you have the least amount of fuel in your tank that you are comfortable with having and then you will fill up with E85. You have to drive around for about 20 to 30 miles to let the E85 get through the fuel system and then you can start your datalogging with the E85.
Thank you I appreciate it!

7Lemons

Established Member
Okay I have the flex tune in, and have converted to E85 with 47# injectors. After filling up with E85 I could watch after about 10 minutes (if that) the AFR @ WOT was adjusted to E85 stoich...really neat how it learns what fuel you're running!

One problem with evaluating it is I changed to the Boss IM at the same time because the fuel rails were off and it was a good time to change injectors. I wish I hadn't changed more than one thing at a time because it's hard to evaluate the flex tune by itself...but I didn't have the time to do a slow methodical approach. All I have to evaluate is the butt dyno and I can say, after driving for a bit with the Boss IM and 93, then switching to E85, it seems like I got some mid range torque back that I lost with the Boss. As others have said, with E85 it's really smooth all the way to 7600rpm and the Boss pulls all the way there with no sign of falling on its face at all - like the stock manifold did at about 6500rpm.

WIST2013GT

Established Member
Okay I have the flex tune in, and have converted to E85 with 47# injectors. After filling up with E85 I could watch after about 10 minutes (if that) the AFR @ WOT was adjusted to E85 stoich...really neat how it learns what fuel you're running!

One problem with evaluating it is I changed to the Boss IM at the same time because the fuel rails were off and it was a good time to change injectors. I wish I hadn't changed more than one thing at a time because it's hard to evaluate the flex tune by itself...but I didn't have the time to do a slow methodical approach. All I have to evaluate is the butt dyno and I can say, after driving for a bit with the Boss IM and 93, then switching to E85, it seems like I got some mid range torque back that I lost with the Boss. As others have said, with E85 it's really smooth all the way to 7600rpm and the Boss pulls all the way there with no sign of falling on its face at all - like the stock manifold did at about 6500rpm.

I did the same thing. I added the injectors/E85 and a ported boss manifold all at once while I was in there. It did give me 4mph in trap speed, but how much was each mod worth? Ill never know :(

fordman2012

Established Member

I did the same thing. I added the injectors/E85 and a ported boss manifold all at once while I was in there. It did give me 4mph in trap speed, but how much was each mod worth? Ill never know :(

I guess I should get a good idea then as I have already installed my cobra jet manifold and will be doing the flex fuel tune hopefully soon! I love the way the cobra jet manifold feels just by itself I really don't notice any loss down low but up top its a totally different car so if I can gain even more over that it would be a pretty awesome N/A setup in my opinion!

7Lemons

Established Member
As a side benefit to getting the Lund Flex tune, they provided my with the E85 race tune (kind of like a bonus tune from buying the Flex tune). It is to be run on 100% E85 only. I have it and just need some better weather to try it, and some time to make sure all 93 is run out and I'm running 100% E85. I was thinking of running it on the road course SCCA TNA event in May, but I don't think the track offers E85.

fordman2012

Established Member
As a side benefit to getting the Lund Flex tune, they provided my with the E85 race tune (kind of like a bonus tune from buying the Flex tune). It is to be run on 100% E85 only. I have it and just need some better weather to try it, and some time to make sure all 93 is run out and I'm running 100% E85. I was thinking of running it on the road course SCCA TNA event in May, but I don't think the track offers E85.
Nice that would be nice to have!

WIST2013GT

Established Member

Do you know if this could be used with FTW Purple E85? I think that would be cool to have for track days (Since FTW is pricey).

7Lemons

Established Member
Nice that would be nice to have!

Yeah that's what I thought...I can't wait to give it a try. I have some good access to corn fuel on my way to work! I will hopefully report back in a matter of a week or so about that tune. What I want to know is if I can run that tune with 100 octane unleaded that is avail at the track? I'm supposing not - as E85 is around 105 octane +/- plus the fueling is different due to efficiency, etc.

BMR Tech 2

You can't run gasoline on a straight E85 tune. E85 requires ~30% more fuel than gasoline, so if you put gasoline in your car while running the corn tune the car would be running incredibly rich. The computer will pull some of that fuel, but you'll still be rich and your fuel trims will be way off.

If you want to run 100 octane gas, then switch back to your 93 know you'll be safe from detonation, or get with Lund about writing you a gasoline tune with more timing to take advantage of the 100 octane. Personally, I would rather just run corn instead of spending $10 a gallon on 100.

7Lemons

Established Member
Just to report back for anyone interested:

I don't know... after running through a bunch of tanks of E85 and 93 I can't say I notice a difference between them. That's not to say that it's not there - I just can't feel it via the seat of my pants. I will say that E85 is smoother and smells much less with my O/R H pipe, but to be honest 93 provides way more crackling/popping aggressive exhaust sounds than E85, and I kind of like that about running gas. To each his own, some people will consider that a benefit of E85 I suppose.

I know there are big gains to be had running FI + E85, but N/A I think gains are there, but probably pretty minimal. I certainly couldn't tell any difference between the E85 FF tune and the E85 race tune at all. Since my track doesn't have E85, it wasn't exactly worth it for me to haul 5-10 gallons of E85 with me! I used over 3/4 tank of 93 over 3 20 minute road course sessions...

BTW - the guys @ Lund were fantastic to work with during the process!

Users who are viewing this thread