Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I think there might be a difference between synthetic version, and non-synthetic version. 45wt for synthetic, and 60wt for the other. And I'm purely guessing here.

I tried to verify this a few days ago, but was unsuccessful. For some reason, the few VOAs that existed on the interwebz has become extinct. :dw:

'03snkbt

Call it like I see it....
Established Member
Because it's on sale at Pep Boys!

lol....i work there PT for shits & giggles and for the discount. get to order some things at a corporate rate.....it pays off!
people buy that stuff daily. would never use in my car.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I think there might be a difference between synthetic version, and non-synthetic version. 45wt for synthetic, and 60wt for the other. And I'm purely guessing here.

I'm sure your right an there is a difference between the two. I've never seen it cause a car not to run right.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Call any oil company in the world besides Lucas and ask what they think about using oil additives.:dw: They are going to tell you not to use oil additives.

Lucas oil stabilizer is basically a bottle/can of viscosity improver.(VI additive)

You can accomplish the same thing with better results by simply buying the next heavier grade of oil, except then your additive balance will be as designed by the oil company. Assuming your engine is worn out enough to benefit from a heavier oil.

Just run a better oil, it's been working for me.:p:-D

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
That's correct Jimmy.

My motto has always been, "If you have to add an additive to any lubricant to achieve a desired performance, you chose the wrong additive."

On a humor note.....

Hey Jimmy, how good does synerlec perform for "personal pleasures"? My girlfriend "Rosie" is curious about it. :lol1:

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
That's correct Jimmy.

My motto has always been, "If you have to add an additive to any lubricant to achieve a desired performance, you chose the wrong additive."

On a humor note.....

Hey Jimmy, how good does synerlec perform for "personal pleasures"? My girlfriend "Rosie" is curious about it. :lol1:

Still have not been able to beat Vagisil, it is a purpose built product after all.;-)

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
Call any oil company in the world besides Lucas and ask what they think about using oil additives.:dw: They are going to tell you not to use oil additives.

Lucas oil stabilizer is basically a bottle/can of viscosity improver.(VI additive)

You can accomplish the same thing with better results by simply buying the next heavier grade of oil, except then your additive balance will be as designed by the oil company. Assuming your engine is worn out enough to benefit from a heavier oil.

Just run a better oil, it's been working for me.:p:-D

Good point! :)

vaporgirl

Established Member
oil addative

I dont like the Lucas oil addative and will never put in my GT-500 or Saleen, I've had my Saleen since high school, drove her everyday and used mobil 1 at every oil change. I used a oil addative called BG MOA in the past and loved it. After 220,000 miles, I replaced the 5 litter with a 3V 5.4 While tearing down the 5.0, I was surprised on how good the bearings, pistons and cylinder looked..

Last edited:

ferfont1

Established Member
Oil newb here.....what is a "robust" oil? I want to try the quart of 20w50 "robust" oil rather than the Lucas, is it just a good quality oil or something. Also, is there any "offroad only" type zinc/zddp additives, like quart size i can add with my oil? I say offroad bc i know it would be illegal to sell for use in regular vehicles. I believe this is why Motul oil is able to be sold bc it has this "offroad only" labeling, just trying to find an alternative to this $15 a quart oil. I'm going to run the motul in my cobra but my daily i dont want to spend soo much on oil.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
It's not illegal to sell high ZDDP lubricants for use in gasoline engines. You may have warranty concerns using it, but no legal issues.

Robust lubricants means that it has a very strong base stock and additive package. When I use this term, I'm talking about top tier lubricants.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Oil newb here.....what is a "robust" oil? I want to try the quart of 20w50 "robust" oil rather than the Lucas, is it just a good quality oil or something. Also, is there any "offroad only" type zinc/zddp additives, like quart size i can add with my oil? I say offroad bc i know it would be illegal to sell for use in regular vehicles. I believe this is why Motul oil is able to be sold bc it has this "offroad only" labeling, just trying to find an alternative to this $15 a quart oil. I'm going to run the motul in my cobra but my daily i dont want to spend soo much on oil.

Why 20w50 and what are you putting it in, a Harley Davidson?:dw::shrug:

ferfont1

Established Member
Why 20w50 and what are you putting it in, a Harley Davidson?:dw::shrug:

oh i was just going along with the "instead of using Lucas stabilizer, you should just use 1 quart of a robust 20w50 to mix with your regular oil", since i'm getting that all the stabilizer does is thicken up the oil (viscosity) with no benefit, and the thicker "oil" still has the benefits of oil.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
oh i was just going along with the "instead of using Lucas stabilizer, you should just use 1 quart of a robust 20w50 to mix with your regular oil", since i'm getting that all the stabilizer does is thicken up the oil (viscosity) with no benefit, and the thicker "oil" still has the benefits of oil.

In what?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
1998 volvo c70 daily driver, 10w30 is what it calls for.

Yeah that's a 5W-30 engine originally. Assuming you have a reason for wanting thicker oil, like excessive oil consumption from smoking/burning or leaking.

A 50 weight is 2 grades thicker than a 30 weight, why not spit the difference and just use a very high quality 40 weight?

Royal Purple SAE 5W-40 (part #01540, quart bottle) or Royal Purple HPS 10W-40 (part #31140, quart bottle).

Or if money is tight the standard Royal Purple SAE 10W-40 (part #01140, quart bottle).

ferfont1

Established Member
Yeah that's a 5W-30 engine originally. Assuming you have a reason for wanting thicker oil, like excessive oil consumption from smoking/burning or leaking.

A 50 weight is 2 grades thicker than a 30 weight, why not spit the difference and just use a very high quality 40 weight?

Royal Purple SAE 5W-40 (part #01540, quart bottle) or Royal Purple HPS 10W-40 (part #31140, quart bottle).

Or if money is tight the standard Royal Purple SAE 10W-40 (part #01140, quart bottle).

So do you give any discounts for a fellow spring TX resident? :thumbsup: I only assume you may be a dealer bc your knowledge on the RP products.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
So do you give any discounts for a fellow spring TX resident? :thumbsup: I only assume you may be a dealer bc your knowledge on the RP products.

Jimmy works for Royal Purple corporate in the technical support department.

You have to buy over the shelf or internet like everyone else. :-D

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

Well I don't have the power to do discounts, #1 because we don't sell direct and #2 we can't really force our sellers to take less profit.
However if you shop the HPS around at different places you will see who has the best deals.
Also if you are here in Spring check out Tommy Vaughn Ford in Houston as they are one of our distributors.

Jimmy works for Royal Purple corporate in the technical support department.

You have to buy over the shelf or internet like everyone else. :-D

That is correct.:thumbsup::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread