LT's Vs. O/R H?

03Cobra1979

Established Member
I did a search but did not find any comparison or the feedback I was looking for.

Are the LT's worth buying over just a O/R H on a forced induction car? Or should I save the money I would have spend on LT's and get some other go fast goodies?

ViciousJay

Established Member
get the offroad pipe, vendors will tell you they make gains but our stock manifolds make great power. If going F/I, headers will benefit more due to increase output of exhaust

Last edited:

Turbo900rr

Established Member
I have a 12 gt with a procharger d1sc stage 2 intercooler, kooks 17/8 headers with off road x, and borla touring catback. If I could do it all over I wouldn't change a thing EXCEPT the headers. The kooks were an absolute nightmare. I would have put the money from the headers towards a forged short block. My .02 from personal experience.

03Cobra1979

Established Member
My current set up is the follow:
Mods:
Roush TVS
82mm Pulley
90mm Idler
JLT Big Air
47lbs injectors
BAP
Steeda Axle Back
Steeda Short Throw Shifter
BMR LCA
Lakewood Adj. Pan Hard Bar
FRPP K Springs
AMR 19 x 9.5 Wheels all the way around (Same as SVE Drifts)
20% Tint
Smoked Lights

I am eventually aiming for 800 at the wheels with a built motor on pump gas. I am not even sure if the 2.3 TVS is capable of that yet.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
i picked up .15 with the headers n/a

on the forced induction, gotta be worth more

as far as install, if you can get access to a lift, not that bad at all

drop the engine, install, put back in!

great deals on the SW headers for members as well

beef

CshiznitzJ

Established Member
Probable only worth an additional 10hp peak over a off-road mid pipe for a N/A car. Well worth it for the sound by itself though. Plenty of people including myself have done the install in the garage on jack stands by themselves.

03Cobra1979

Established Member
Probable only worth an additional 10hp peak over a off-road mid pipe for a N/A car. Well worth it for the sound by itself though. Plenty of people including myself have done the install in the garage on jack stands by themselves.

How long did it take you? On a scale of 1 - 10 what do you rate the pain-in-the-ass factor at on the install?

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
i just put some BBKs on my car and it wasnt all that hard to do. from 1-10 id say like a 4 or 5 but i consider myself a good mechanic. did mine in the garage on jack stands and normal hand tools. waiting on the x pipe to show up today but i did fire it up with open headers :rockon: lil loud.

slamdcoop0428

Established Member
Did my SW headers on the floor of my garage but swung the k member down and made it 100x easier. Did my headers in about 6hrs and plus it teaches you alot about the car in the process.

03Cobra1979

Established Member
Did my SW headers on the floor of my garage but swung the k member down and made it 100x easier. Did my headers in about 6hrs and plus it teaches you alot about the car in the process.

I would be going with SW's from Beef if I buy them. I just know on my cobra they weren't hard to install they just pissed me off for like 6 hours lol.

CshiznitzJ

Established Member
How long did it take you? On a scale of 1 - 10 what do you rate the pain-in-the-ass factor at on the install?

Took me about 10 hours including making some changes to the cat-back exhaust as the long tubes and mid-pipe pushed the catback further towards the rear of the car causing some axle interference issues. Did it with hand tools also. Gear wrench and socket, extension and swivel were the tools of choice.

I left the k-member in place and it wasn't that bad with it there. The only problem area i had was one of the studs on the passenger side closest to the firewall. It was impossible to get back in and get a nut on it with primary in the way. I wasted well over an hour on this one stud and ended up replacing it with a bolt that took 5 minutes.

alex12gt

Established Member
Short answer i dont think so from what is being claimed and what people are picking up your talking 10hp at most and factor in that you will spend at least $600 over just an x and you will ethier pay good money $400 min for a shop to do it or spend alot of your time.....its all in what 10hp is worth to you

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
i have long tubes, and catted X. the sound alone was worth the money. the car made 523/463 with a conservative tune and with the cats and 82mm pulley. i plan on installing cat delete pipes and i just got a tune update that flat rips. I vote LTs.

Turbo900rr

Established Member
The kooks 17/8 were a bitch. But I have read that the other headers SW, BBK are a lot easier. I couldn't get either side in there to save my life. Scratched the hell out of the 250.00 ceramic coat too. I paid a shop 400.00 to install them, and they said they will never do it for that price again. The shop owner said "those were the hardest headers it install on any car ever!" this is a speed shop so it's not like they never do header installs. They wound up lifting the motor off the mounts and lowering the k-member to get them in. Again, this was Kooks brand so if you go with a different brand you may be fine. Or I got a Monday set that were a touch off in the jig when they were welded up.

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
i gained 4whp with lt's over an off road x. made a nice detailed thread about it but i guess it doesn't show up in the search

deepsouthtech

Established Member
Short, sweet and simple. You can make more power than the stock engine can handle with FI alone. Save the money for the forged internals if going with FI.

Bad Intention

Established Member
I ran my car With O/R x both N/A and FI with stock motor.
Now that im in the middle of swaping to Aluminator i ordered set of SW from BEEF.they just came in today. Have to say they are very well crafted. Looking forward to hear the car with LT's.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I ran my car With O/R x both N/A and FI with stock motor.
Now that im in the middle of swaping to Aluminator i ordered set of SW from BEEF.they just came in today. Have to say they are very well crafted. Looking forward to hear the car with LT's.

:)

you'll love them!

Users who are viewing this thread