LT header noise

DarkHelmet22

KEEP FIRING A**HOLES
Established Member
Sorry if this has been covered but, I have never had long tubes on a car before so I was kinda shocked how much noise they make. It's a metallic ticking noise by the collectors under load. Searched up and down for exhaust leaks and have found none. It has done it since I first installed them so I don't think the header nuts have come loose. I'm using stock header gaskets. I have come to the conclusion that it's normal due to the thinner walls of the headers vs the stock manifolds. Has anybody else experienced this? They are pypes longtubes and pypes o/r x.

Thanks

devildog1679

Established Member
I get metallic ticking like rattle out of mine. Showed up after the offroad mid went in. So itll happen even with stock headers.

http://youtu.be/uPNPD7JMdbA

I got the same exact think when I replaced my stock H with the Lethal piece. I'm welding in some high flow CATS tomorrow. That should take care of the pulse sound and the annoying smell as well while still flowing better than stock and keeping a bit of sound.

Riptide

Established Member
I dont mind the fuel smell but the rattle is suck. Since its hard to hear outside the car I'm living with it.

Also have a lethal H. Do you have resonators?

768MPH

Established Member
That's valve train noise gentlemen. It's normal with LTs ad aftermarket headers in general.
Thinner primaries will allow more sound to come out. That's why most stock manifolds are thick iron or steel.
Name of the game. Getting them coated can reduce the noise somewhat.

orange_whiner

Pro-class stoplight racer
Established Member
Sorry if this has been covered but, I have never had long tubes on a car before so I was kinda shocked how much noise they make. It's a metallic ticking noise by the collectors under load. Searched up and down for exhaust leaks and have found none. It has done it since I first installed them so I don't think the header nuts have come loose. I'm using stock header gaskets. I have come to the conclusion that it's normal due to the thinner walls of the headers vs the stock manifolds. Has anybody else experienced this? They are pypes longtubes and pypes o/r x.

Thanks

I tried every fix that been discussed on the web. The thing that fixed it was deleting the flex joints on the x pipe. they resonate between 2k-3k rpm under load and decel. Try taking a rubber mallet and tapping (cold exhaust) in front of the collectors, sides, flanges, around 02's, flex joints, merge of the x, and mid pipe clamps. Use varying amounts of force for each area. Light taps with a 3lb. dead blow revealed for me the flex joints were the cause of the bad vibes. (see what i did there)

Users who are viewing this thread