LRS Replacement Leather

Lzr96Snake

burning up in speed
Established Member
I've got to do something about my seats. The rest of the car is in great shape, but the seats are really dried out and look terrible. You guys know, the fronts are cracked to hell, and the back isn't much better. I've been using leather conditioner, but they really haven't improved. I seen where lrs sells leather kits. Have any of you guys used them? Any other suggestions??*

mustang3X

Established Member
Ultrasuede Corbeau CR1's make the pain go away, my friend is a dealer so I got a good price on them.

Used the stock manual adjusters, had to modify them by bolting flat steel bars where the stock seats mounted and then drilled new holes to match the Corbeau seat bolts.

They are super comfy and look great, there is a bar that is part of the seat frame that you can feel against your lower back. Corbeau should have increased the padding or moved this bar. When seat is in a more upright position you don't feel it so it hasn't bothered me, but I doubt this ergonomic flaw would be in a Recaro.

Here is a crappy pic, took it with my new camera so I'm still messing with the settings.

You might consider cloth A4 Corbeau seats, they are reasonably priced and have 1.5 inch lower seat surface so you sit lower in the car. The CR1 has the taller seat surface and very firm padding so you sit a little higher. I am 5'9" and still have room to wear a helmet but prefer a low seat position.

IMG_0022.gif

Last edited:

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
i forgot who it was, but at Mustang week in the tent they had a company who recovered your mustang seats, it was super reasonable an di plan to do that when mine are gonzo too....but they put all new foam in and brand new leather, i saw a few on display and was very impressed...sorry i dont remeber who it was..ill do a little research..

Erich

Established Member
I have the base 6 cyl cloth seats in my car and now they are starting to shred. I want to keep my interior all tan. I was looking into all kinds of replacement or used seats without too much luck. I found this place and I think I will be going this route. They have like 60 colors of leather, you can make the inserts different colors, get piping, stitching etc. They can supply the carpets in the same color too. I sent for samples-we shall see. For I think it was 700 bucks you get front and rear seat leather.
Ford Mustang Leather Seats - LeatherSeats.com
Erich

mustang3X

Established Member
$700 for the leather? ouch, and you still have to buy padding if needed and do the installation.

If the leather they are selling is anywhere near the quality of the OEM crap you're getting ripped off.

Erich

Established Member
I think the quality is going to be way better but gotta see. I notice that the stock leather is pretty thin.
Seems like a bunch of money but if you actually try to find perfect seats that are actually worth putting in your car, it is not so easy. Yeah aftermarket seats are in the price range for some but don't really want that. Except for the cobra misano and those are NOT in that price range.
Erich

firebuilder

Established Member
For about a year now, I've been working on getting new leather for my '94 Cobra. If you've tried, you know that it is not available OEM. Katzkin offers covers, but they are generic for '94-'98 and do not match the '94-'95 and possibly '96 pattern. The original leather is also glued to the foam and new seat foam is not available for the mid-nineties mustangs from any vendor I could find. Not wanting to risk ruining my original foam, I never found a solution other than buying a set of seats off of ebay or having it custom made. I went the ebay route.

I do think I have a solution for the leather. I've been working for almost 8 months with an upholsterer to find a leather that matches the original black on the 94-95 and possibly 96 Cobras. Most have been too grey, too dull, or the wrong grain. We've finally found something that is a very, very close match for both depth of black, grain pattern, and gloss. It is also a much higher quality leather than the OEM. Furthermore, the upholsterer will be using the leather covers from my ebay seats to create matching patterns for the new covers.

I'm hoping I can save someone else the hassle of going through this again. If you are interested in more details, send me a message.

Last edited:

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
LRS leather doesn't specify Cobra for replacement. I know the seat pattern is a little different from the GT to the Cobra. I, too, need seat leather replacement. Finding leather to recover that matches the saddle is a bitch.

firebuilder

Established Member
LRS leather doesn't specify Cobra for replacement. I know the seat pattern is a little different from the GT to the Cobra. I, too, need seat leather replacement. Finding leather to recover that matches the saddle is a bitch.

One of the pics on the LRS website looks like the Cobra pattern, just not the right colors. I was leery of buying a non-returnable product based on a small leather sample and their word. I've seen too many leathers and covers that claim to be the "OEM" color and pattern, but aren't close. Plus, there's still the labor cost involved in removing the old covers and properly fitting the new leather to the foam, given that the original is glued, something I don't have the expertise to do myself. And the LRS 2-year guarantee is only about 8 months of potential driving time where I live, so maybe 60-90 days of actual use. With the shop I'm using, I get a lifetime guarantee from a company that's been in business for 95 years.

As for color, I'd bet my shop can find a match to the saddle given some time. I don't want post their name on the board, though, until I see the final product and can truly recommend them. When I do, I'll try to remember and post side-by-side pictures of my original and new seats.

DOHCavanti

Established Member
If you have a good upholstery shop, you will pay a ton for a match.

It seems like it would be most logical to go aftermarket.

Users who are viewing this thread