Lowering Spring Questions

Stormtrooper5.0

Established Member
So I'm wanting to lower my car and I want to go pretty low. The lowest springs that I know of are the H&R Super Sports. My main concern is how long could I go on just the lowering springs without switching out shocks and struts? People have told me that they will wear out the shocks and struts. Does anyone have the H&R SS? How do you like them? Also, are there any other lowering springs that come close to the amount of drop that the H&R SS produce? I haven't seen any online that go much lower than 1.5-1.7 inches. And the SS go well below 2 inches. Lastly a bit of a nooby question, do I need to get the camber plates or do I just need the camber bolts? Thanks.

BMR Tech

H&R SS are pretty aggressive, both in drop and rate.

The ride with stock dampers will be very harsh.

I would expect the rear shocks to live a little while, but, I think the front struts would fail substantially sooner, than later.

If you plan on "coursing" the car (road course / handling, etc) - I would go with the CC Plates. There are many companies who make a decent one. I like Vorshlag, Steeda and MM.

If it's just a putt-around, occasional spirited sprint....the bolts will work.

I highly recommend picking up a set of Koni Oranges, atleast. You can still find them floating around places, in stock, for great prices for all 4.

Stormtrooper5.0

Established Member
H&R SS are pretty aggressive, both in drop and rate.

The ride with stock dampers will be very harsh.

I would expect the rear shocks to live a little while, but, I think the front struts would fail substantially sooner, than later.

If you plan on "coursing" the car (road course / handling, etc) - I would go with the CC Plates. There are many companies who make a decent one. I like Vorshlag, Steeda and MM.

If it's just a putt-around, occasional spirited sprint....the bolts will work.

I highly recommend picking up a set of Koni Oranges, atleast. You can still find them floating around places, in stock, for great prices for all 4.

Thanks for the reply! I know that they're pretty aggressive which is what worries me. That's the look that I'd like to have but I don't want to end up having to replace other parts a few months down the road. The car won't see any road course whatsoever. Only the occasional 1/4 mile trip and the very frequent spirited street driving. LOL. Thanks for the info. I'll look into some shocks and struts. I'm just very indecisive. Haha.

pufferfish

Established Member
I have the SS listed as 225-275 front and 200-245 rear with 1.7"F and 2.4"R drop. I believe that is only a tad too high a rate for the shocks and struts to manage long term, but I don't think they will fail in 6 months or even a year.

now, I don't run the SS, but do run the H&R race, which has the same drop, but a higher rate. the rear drop is too much in my opinion. that puts it on the stock bump stops. cutting half off the bumps leaves about 3/4" of travel. I ended up creating a 3/4" spacer to put on the body side spring perch to give myself enough travel without pounding the bump stops.

if you just want the lowering without needing struts and shocks, look at the eibach sportline. its got the right drop and under 200lb rate front and rear, so the struts will be happy.

Stormtrooper5.0

Established Member
I have the SS listed as 225-275 front and 200-245 rear with 1.7"F and 2.4"R drop. I believe that is only a tad too high a rate for the shocks and struts to manage long term, but I don't think they will fail in 6 months or even a year.

now, I don't run the SS, but do run the H&R race, which has the same drop, but a higher rate. the rear drop is too much in my opinion. that puts it on the stock bump stops. cutting half off the bumps leaves about 3/4" of travel. I ended up creating a 3/4" spacer to put on the body side spring perch to give myself enough travel without pounding the bump stops.

if you just want the lowering without needing struts and shocks, look at the eibach sportline. its got the right drop and under 200lb rate front and rear, so the struts will be happy.

Yeah, the sportlines were originally my choice of spring but then I found a lower drop with the SS. I may just end up going with sportlines. Thanks for the reply. Any pics?

pufferfish

Established Member
qshl.jpg

that's before adding 3/4" height back. I don't have any pics after, but you can imagine.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
I had the H&R SS on my 2011 with stock shocks. I thought it rode great and handled very well. Now the downside is I didn't have the car long enough or put enough miles to really wear them out. One of my pet peeves with those springs was that I felt the front needed about another .25" drop. Since they have dead coils on the bottom of those springs I removed a half coil and it dropped it perfectly.

On my new 2014 now I went with Sportlines and they are just a tad higher than the SS, but seem to ride about the same.

Ratchet

Established Member
I have had K springs in mine for about 10k miles now. With stock shocks and struts. Ride is ok and they are still hanging in there. They have been beaten pretty good to. :beer:

Drufuss

Established Member
Don't rule out the bmr springs. I wanted the sportlines, and just trusted Kelly from bmr on the bmrs. They're freakin low and perfect! I wanna blow my car kisses every morning.

Don't ride bad at all either, and that's with all poly bushings.

Stormtrooper5.0

Established Member
Don't rule out the bmr springs. I wanted the sportlines, and just trusted Kelly from bmr on the bmrs. They're freakin low and perfect! I wanna blow my car kisses every morning.

Don't ride bad at all either, and that's with all poly bushings.

The BMR springs look nice and I know they'd be great quality, but I want lower...

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
IMG_20130815_181507_zps0921c12e.jpg

Replace the shocks and struts...I already am thinking about swapping to koni yellows to help some. They bottom out here and there with the koni str.t but I would bet they bottom out like a bitch on the stockers. They are just not made for that kind of drop.

Stormtrooper5.0

Established Member
IMG_20130815_181507_zps0921c12e.jpg

Replace the shocks and struts...I already am thinking about swapping to koni yellows to help some. They bottom out here and there with the koni str.t but I would bet they bottom out like a bitch on the stockers. They are just not made for that kind of drop.

Thanks for the picture. Looks awesome. I may just hold off on the SS for now and go with something like the sport lines.

Users who are viewing this thread