Lowering-Mostly for appearance, not at the expense of handling

Sielmo

Established Member
I couldn't find what I was looking for in the search.

I would like to mildly lower my 2010 Shelby for appearance sake but not at the expense of handling for a daily driver that's not a track car. Since the Ford Racing springs seem to only lower the ride height just over an inch, I'm preferential to this brand as I want to improve the look, minimize the gap but also reasonably deal with everyday road challenges (aka curbs, and speed bumps). To also add, my plan is to either widen my existing rims or get a new set in order to add 305 sized tires in the rear. My questions are:

Do I absolutely need to get anything in addition to lowering springs in order to do this project as described such as:
-New struts and shocks?
-Adjustable Pan hard bar a must?
-Jounce bumpers?
-Also, not required, but HIGHLY recommended additions?

I ask because I am having some difficulty separating "must haves" and website recommended propaganda.

Thanks for your feedback.

Speedboosted

Established Member
Eibach Pro Kit seems to be a great setup. The only must have is the adjustable pan hard bar, everything else is recommend aside from the bump stops (jounce bumpers as you put them). Those are pointless, just trim your stock ones.

New shocks and struts (not Koni's) would make the ride better, but the car will ride decently on the stock stuff unless there are a bunch of miles on them. Some people will say camber plates or crash bolts, but just rotate your strut mounts 180* and it'll bring it back into spec.

I see you live in Ewa Beach, what an interesting place to have a 700 whp car. Lol

Sielmo

Established Member
Eibach Pro Kit seems to be a great setup. The only must have is the adjustable pan hard bar, everything else is recommend aside from the bump stops (jounce bumpers as you put them). Those are pointless, just trim your stock ones.

New shocks and struts (not Koni's) would make the ride better, but the car will ride decently on the stock stuff unless there are a bunch of miles on them. Some people will say camber plates or crash bolts, but just rotate your strut mounts 180* and it'll bring it back into spec.

I see you live in Ewa Beach, what an interesting place to have a 700 whp car. Lol

Thanks for your feedback! As mentioned, its a challenge getting the ground truth to what is everyday reasonable.

HA! Ewa Beach...not much for all out craziness but more show-boating as we don't have a track. Friendly sporting with fellow Mustang folks but the Vette guys...angry...maybe its the heat or the price they pay to be in second place! LOL

Shelby_SVT_2012

Established Member
Shelby 5.4.16.jpg
Here's mine on Ford Racing lowering springs. Used the factory shocks and struts for a while and felt no change in ride. I purchased the rear panhard bar and cc plates for alignment purposes.

96_slow4.6

my car is really slow
Established Member

Though they are more pricey but wouldn't a nice coil over setup work for him since he could also adjust the height? Or am I thinking wrong here?

Shelby_SVT_2012

Established Member
Was yours a SVTPP car? Looks like the ride height of a PP car.
The car came with the SVTPP struts and shocks but not with lowering springs. They didn't drop the car drastically, but you notice the difference. Here's a before and after photo.FB_IMG_1471372115627.jpg
FB_IMG_1471372134584.jpg

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I have the Ford Racing M-5300-L springs on mine and am just now getting around to putting a panhard bar and lower arm relocation brackets on it. The axle being shifted to the left a bit is only noticeable if you're looking for it, otherwise I never noticed any adverse effects from them. The only reason I'm doing them now is because I'd like to get more into going to the track, and I'm sure the benefits of the new parts will show up there.

78FAEC5F-7EC6-4C91-9D52-10C1E5365352_zpsldimjjc4.jpg

7D2C8A33-3D01-42C5-9F99-DDF3F69EDF87_zpstzughyd0.jpg

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Though they are more pricey but wouldn't a nice coil over setup work for him since he could also adjust the height? Or am I thinking wrong here?

I have the Eibach Pro Street-S coil overs and they are nice for dialing in the ride height to exactly what an owner wants, but yes there is an additional cost for the height adjustability option.

Last edited:

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
2010 with L springs, BMR upper, panhard, relos, BAS lower's adjustable shocks set about halfway. Rarely do I scrape anything, ride is good.
No hop, good traction. Sounds like it would fit just what you are looking for. The shadow under the car may fool you a bit, I can get a better picture later if you like.

Attachments

• Shelby wheels 800.JPG
    Shelby wheels 800.JPG
    444.2 KB · Views: 368

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
H&R Sport springs: lowered look and performance with comfort. 1" front drop and 1-5/8" rear drop on my 2008. I would not go any more aggressive for a daily driver.

H&R Sport springs.jpg

drewzx3

Established Member

Did you do this? did both sides end up aligningthe exact same?

MastaAce03

Established Member

Why are you so against Konis?

Users who are viewing this thread