lowering a 2012 Gt500

boosted281

Established Member
Hey guys just like the title says I have a '12 with the SVT PP package and I want to lower it. Anybody have experiences with this yet?? What brands?? How much lowering is manageable?? I know its gonna ride rough but I'm ok with that honestly. Any help is much appreciated. GT500 FTW!!!!

majmacv

Back in the Saddle
Established Member
Just did my '12 svt pp....Used BMR springs I got from Van..dropped the front and inch, rear appx 1.3.....I can send a pic if you want to see the result

teejay

Established Member
Lots of good options out there. Eibach, BMR, FRPP, etc..... Need to figure out what your wanting to do first. Level out the back? Keep the factory raked stance but just a little lower all around, etc and go from there.

boosted281

Established Member
Well the reason I asked was i've heard guys say they bought springs, more specifically the frpp "L" springs and had zero drop with the svt pp cars. I want the car low so I was looking at the eibach sportline springs. I also plan to move my rear wheels to the front and get another pair of 20's to widen for the rear and don't want to compromise getting that extra meat under the car. Thanks again guys for the guidance here.

boosted281

Established Member
Majmacv I would love to see pics!! Did you replace the panhard bar with an adjustable? Did the height you came down require c/c plates or chamber bolts?

adidasUNT8

Established Member
I had sportline springs with 20"s on my 06 GT and it looked really nice but I think with that steep of a drop it actually hurts your performance. I just lowered my new one and went with the eibach pro-kit. The ride is much smoother and it gives the lower control arms a better angle for better planting traction under harder acceleration. With sportlines it will ride really rough, especially with 20"s. I had tokico d-specs and it still felt like a jackhammer on some roads.

A buddy of mine and I lowered mine this past weekend. I picked up an adjustable panhard bar and as soon as i dropped it off the jackstands it was very obvious that this was a MUST have. The rear ended shifted to where the drivers tire was sticking out an inch from the fender and it was sucking in an inch from the fender on the passenger side. Also you'll want to get all wheels re-aligned with a reputable shop.

So what you'll probably want to get is Lowering springs, Adjustable panhard, and LCAs. Maybe some upgraded shocks as well, but I'm not that familiar with the SVTPP package and what all it includes...

Good luck with it!!! It will definitely handle much better around corners and look more aggressive :beer:

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
Just something to think about. I remember reading on here the rear svtpp wheels will not work on the front because of the larger(thicker) brake calipers.

I will be lowering my car soon as well but i plan to have the rear sit about a 1/8th lower then the front with my drag set up. Putting together a parts list now.

Anyone brave enough to cut the springs?

Last edited:

Tejas500

Established Member
I have the Eibach Sportline springs on my 2012 and it looks amazing. I did the Eibach adj. sway bars at the same time too as well as the usual upper/lower control arms, relocate brackets, caster/camber. It handles extremely well in the corners and powering out, a much more rigid platform over the SVTPP setup. It does feel stiffer and under extreme bottom outs/g-outs in can feel a tad harsh but overall I see it as a much needed performance and aesthetics upgrade. Here's a pic of it the day I put them on.
IMG_3910.jpg

I am actually upgrading to AST mono adjustable coil overs next month (for track use purposes) and I will have my Sportlines up for sale. If you don't mind waiting until next month then you can snag mine that will only have been on the car for two months for a good deal. Let me know.

Tejas

cjgt500

Established Member
Just lowered my '12 on Eibach Pro-kit springs. Ride is very similiar to SVTPP. Looks and feels much better.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Just wondering why everyone pays the extra money for the SVT PP and then change all the suspension components. Isn't that basically what your paying all the extra money for. Besides that and the stripes and 3:73 gears. Is it worth the extra 2K because I don't like the SVT PP wheels that much

boosted281

Established Member
Tejas500 that car makes my man parts move!! Send me a pm on whatever you want to sell. I'm leaving this weekend for a class back east for the department for a week and when i get back i'll only be home 3 days and then leave for Vegas for the street car super nationals for a week. So basically I don't have the time to put them on right now even if I bought them this month. Thanks

majmacv

Back in the Saddle
Established Member
Tejas500 has a great stance with the eibach's.....My BMR's gave a lower front, and more pronounced rake....BTW, how the hell do you post pics here? ( i have searched for help, to no avail)

Tejas500

Established Member
Tejas500 that car makes my man parts move!! Send me a pm on whatever you want to sell. I'm leaving this weekend for a class back east for the department for a week and when i get back i'll only be home 3 days and then leave for Vegas for the street car super nationals for a week. So basically I don't have the time to put them on right now even if I bought them this month. Thanks

I will let you know, I will consider you first in line.

Tejas500

Established Member
Tejas500 has a great stance with the eibach's.....My BMR's gave a lower front, and more pronounced rake....BTW, how the hell do you post pics here? ( i have searched for help, to no avail)

Open a photo sharing account through photobucket or flicker or something of the like. Choose the picture you want to post, copy the image code, then paste that in your message and it will appear in line as mine did. Pretty easy, best of luck!

Tejas

Tejas500

Established Member
Just wondering why everyone pays the extra money for the SVT PP and then change all the suspension components. Isn't that basically what your paying all the extra money for. Besides that and the stripes and 3:73 gears. Is it worth the extra 2K because I don't like the SVT PP wheels that much

I bought the SVTPP package for the wheels and tires and the rear end gearing. I chose the stripe delete because I can't stand them on most of the paint options. The wheels will run you $500 a piece from Ford and the tires are around $480 a piece so the cost of the SVTPP package pretty much covers the cost of the wheels and tires aftermarket/special order.

BTW, you are one of very few people I have heard say that they don't like the SVTPP wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread