Lower than the pack dyno numbers? KB 2.2

EV1L_SVT

Established Member
Hey Guys, had my car dyno'd the other day and my numbers seem low compared to cars with similar mods. It has a brand new reman longblock, with a KB 2.2 with 6lb lower and 3.40 upper. Car made 545rwhp 516 tq. It was 90* in the shop and somewhat humid the day it was dyno'd. They spent a couple hours running the new motor and breaking in the clutch on the dyno before they did WOT pulls.

Mod list...

New 03 Cobra SC Longblock, KB 2.2 @19lbs, 60lb injectors, SCT 2600 meter, KB BAP w/wire upgrade, LFP Big oval TB, Kooks Long tube headers, High flow catted H-Pipe, Borla Stinger exhaust, LFP Dual Pass heat exchanger, Lethal HCM, JLT next gen High boost intake, solid rear with 3.27 gears

Car seems to crank over on the slower side even with newer battery and a brand new starter. Also after its driven and you try to start hot, it has taken a couple times to fire. The guys at the shop are really cool about the whole thing and obv told me to bring it back with any issues. Maybe I'm being too picky but I spent A LOT of money on this car over the last couple months and was hoping for over 600rwhp. I have yet to really give it a good hammering on since the heat wave we've had either.

Just looking for opinions I guess :shrug:

Last edited:

nol300

Established Member
I am no expert but a 3.40 pulley @ 19 pounds on a 2.2 does not sound right I thought the 3.0 pulley on a 2.2 would get you to about 17-18#.

I would get a 3.0 for it

EV1L_SVT

Established Member
I am no expert but a 3.40 pulley @ 19 pounds on a 2.2 does not sound right I thought the 3.0 pulley on a 2.2 would get you to about 17-18#.

I would get a 3.0 for it

3.40 with a 6lb crank (9.1" vs the 7.5" stock crank pulley size) actually spins the blower pretty good. Comparing it to the stock lower and 2.93" upper in my previous setup, the blower is spining another 800rpms or so at the top. The dyno showed 19 or so psi.

fbody83

Z06 to Raped Ape
Established Member
Was it broken in before putting it on the dyno or did you do it right on the dyno? Were you data logging anything? If so what were your IAT2 temps, total timing and A/F at?

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Im running 19-19.5 lbs on my KB with a 2.70 upper and a stock lower. My tuner said he left some out for safety, im running a 93 tune

EV1L_SVT

Established Member
Was it broken in before putting it on the dyno or did you do it right on the dyno? Were you data logging anything? If so what were your IAT2 temps, total timing and A/F at?

It was run with break in oil first which has a zinc additive to break in the rings etc. That was run for a day and a couple hours on the dyno (no power pulls). It was changed to a Motorcraft blend or semi synthetic for the dyno pulls and is still in the car now.
Talking with the tuner in between pulls, he said IATs were 119*-120* and he went to 18* of timing I believe. A/F was 11.6 for most of the rpm until 5800 on it dipped to 10.9 or so

EV1L_SVT

Established Member
Is it possible to be down 40-50 hp cause of temp and humidity? Or cause the motor was heat soaked?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Is it possible to be down 40-50 hp cause of temp and humidity? Or cause the motor was heat soaked?

If it was heat soaked, yes the ecu would be pulling timing. But tuners should beable to raise the parameters so the ecu won't pull timing until a certain temp. If the dyno used is a sae corrected, then the outside temp and humidity shouldn't be a factor as far as I know.

EV1L_SVT

Established Member
If it was heat soaked, yes the ecu would be pulling timing. But tuners should beable to raise the parameters so the ecu won't pull timing until a certain temp. If the dyno used is a sae corrected, then the outside temp and humidity shouldn't be a factor as far as I know.

Thanks, I guess im being a little too picky considering it being a brand new motor and the temp conditions. Maybe I'll have it re-tuned in the fall and see where I'm at...

TRBO VNM

Thanks, I guess im being a little too picky considering it being a brand new motor and the temp conditions. Maybe I'll have it re-tuned in the fall and see where I'm at...

Well, at those IAT2 temps, it shouldn't be pulling timing. If it were my car, I would be looking into it.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
KB's run hot...... I'm pretty dang on sure about it now, Iv'e talked to quite a bit that told me no matter what their KB ran hotter than any other blower they had.... I just tackled dealing with this and so far my temps are alot lower but still warmer than I think they should.

Your still low on power though. How much vacuum are you pulling at idle? Did you pull the plugs out to see what they look like? How did the dyno graph look?

Turbo96'Cobra

Mongoose Hunter
Established Member
What? 19psi is perfect for a 2.2.

600rwhp should be there at 19psi with a good tune.

IMO, I said. If I was going to run 19psi all the time, which KB reccommends not to do. I would buy a 2.8 KB or a 2.9 Whipple. Mike at Kenne Bell will tell you the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread