Low Oil

GHOST99

Established Member
Engine oil low light came on today. I checked the oil and it is barely touching the stick. The car is a 14 GT and has 20000 miles. i have had the car 2 years. bought it with 7500 miles. The only mods are GT500 exhaust and a barton shifter. The car is mostly driven on the weekends. its not a daily dirver. With the hood rust and the clear coat looking like it wants to come up on the decklid i am seriously thinking of getting rid of the car now.

Has anyone else had an issue with oil usage?

KushBandit

Established Member
Have you ever topped off your oil level between oil changes? Sounds like normal engine oil consumption to me. I usually add a quart in between changes.

GHOST99

Established Member
Have you ever topped off your oil level between oil changes? Sounds like normal engine oil consumption to me. I usually add a quart in between changes.

never had to between the past oil changes. thanks for the reply. just hard to accept normal oil consumption on a 20000 mile engine

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
Yeah I also never had to really add any oil between changes. Every engine is different though.

Last edited:

GBCoyote

Established Member
Run some damn catch cans already, it'll let you know if you're having an issue with your PCV system also.

GBCoyote

Established Member
Cans collect and breathers evaporate the oil into atmosphere. The cans can show you if there is an issue somewhere if it is collecting too much oil, as in this case it probably would.

To the OP, run a tad bit heavier oil and switch to a full synthetic. It will fix most of this issue.

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
Cans collect and breathers evaporate the oil into atmosphere. The cans can show you if there is an issue somewhere if it is collecting too much oil, as in this case it probably would.

To the OP, run a tad bit heavier oil and switch to a full synthetic. It will fix most of this issue.

Thanks man for straightening that out for me.

5lho

Established Member
Some of these engines use some oil. My last one would use 1-2 quarts between changes and it made 439 horse flywheel on a tune only and max compression on all 8 to the pound, after three years of beating on it at the dragstrip. My current 14 uses nothing.

KushBandit

Established Member
Seriously though what's the difference between the cans and the breathers?

As GB said, the cans allow you to catch the oil, where as the breathers evaporate the oil into the atmosphere. They both have pros and cons. No catch can is 100% effective, and will always allow some oil back into the manifold and combustion chamber. Breathers won't allow any oil back into the manifold, but it will pollute the environment more and you can spray oil on the valve covers from running the engine hard for an extended period of time.

If you get a can and have a modified engine, you want one with a breather on top that allows the excess crankcase pressure to be vented. I had the sealed JLT on my car when I bought it. That thing was a POS, no venting and caught very little oil.

Last edited:

gt5.0coyote

Established Member
We have been using joe gibbs 5W20 full synthetic. It is specifically designed for the coyote engine. It has a little zinc in it to quiet down the ticking noise when you first change the oil. Haven't really had an issue with oil consumption in this car.

awdowns

Established Member
I was having an issue with high oil consumption, 3 quarts within 7 months/4k miles. I found a few threads here saying AED recommends using switching the PCV on the passenger valve cover to the one found on the F150 ecoboost, Ford P/N BL3Z-6A666-AA. The oil level has not moved since I have swapped the PCV about 4 weeks ago and the car runs noticeably better. Its worth a try since the new PCV cost me all of $ 6.27 from amazon.

For reference, the car is daily driven in heavy city traffic and is a 6 speed manual running Royal Purple 5w20.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I was having an issue with high oil consumption, 3 quarts within 7 months/4k miles. I found a few threads here saying AED recommends using switching the PCV on the passenger valve cover to the one found on the F150 ecoboost, Ford P/N BL3Z-6A666-AA. The oil level has not moved since I have swapped the PCV about 4 weeks ago and the car runs noticeably better. Its worth a try since the new PCV cost me all of $ 6.27 from amazon.

For reference, the car is daily driven in heavy city traffic and is a 6 speed manual running Royal Purple 5w20.

Anybody have any other info ^^^ or a link to this discussion?

GBCoyote

Established Member
I've heard of this being a small bandaid for fixing it, although there were people saying it didn't help. Most people who swapped to a heavier full synthetic oil had the issue alleviated.

Black Thunder 715

Established Member
I've been using amsoil ss 10w30 year round since I'm in FL in my '14 GT ever since I bought it new and the car uses no oil at all. And no issues with the infamous engine tick either. In my '13 shelby, I use amsoil ss 0w40 and I have no issues with oil burning either.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread