Low Oil Pressure Question

s_x_i

Established Member
Hey guys,

do any of you know how accurate the factory oil pressure gauge is? I was driving to work this morning and I looked down and saw my gauge on low. Pulled over immediately and checked the oil level, it was a little low, so I added a quart, it's about 1/3 the way up the dipstick now and the gauge is still reading L.

I don't want to drive the car anywhere, there are no leaks or anything, no smoke... anyone got any ideas on what to do / check? Are these gauges or sending units known to fail? Anything obvious I'm overlooking?

Thanks.

:beer:

DevilSun

Established Member
As far as the visual gauge itself, it's on/off basically. Anything over 6psi I believe registers "normal" and should be up and down. They are quick, cheap, and easy to replace in case it went out.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
accurate compared to what? there's NO numbers on the gauge and it will read normal with from 5-100psi, answer your question?

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Been doing some reading - looks like the sending units on these suck. I have an aftermarket gauge on the shelf, I guess now would be a good time to install it. :read:

I heard the same bout the sender being low quality. The oem gauge is vague as it doesn't move much. Like previously posted, once normal registered pressure is avail, indicator will read in the "norm". However, I'm curious as to what is the "true" oil pressure in relation to RPM, oil viscosity, outside air temperature, heat and so on. What kind of gauge will you be installing if I may ask.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Been doing some reading - looks like the sending units on these suck. I have an aftermarket gauge on the shelf, I guess now would be a good time to install it. :read:

yes they do

saturday at the track my stock guage read 0 on first start up and my after market read good. Then found a small oil leak and it seemed to be ocming form the stock sensor. It actually blew right through the seal and the oil was coming out of the electrical connector.

s_x_i

Established Member
Electrical connection was lose - went ahead and changed the oil and filter too.

I have an Autometer gauge I'd been meaning to install, will probably be a Sunday project, but I have an upper intake and a head gasket (both on different cars) to do before I get to the Cobra.

01Jes

Established Member
yes they do

saturday at the track my stock guage read 0 on first start up and my after market read good. Then found a small oil leak and it seemed to be ocming form the stock sensor. It actually blew right through the seal and the oil was coming out of the electrical connector.

Wow 1 reason I'm not a fan of electrical senders.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Mechanical is the way to go for oil psi, their a piece of cake on these cars, get a 6-8 foot braided line and tie into the oil cooler adapter!

Brutal Metal

Established Member
The Full Sweep Auto Meter Electricals are some Big change, I don't see the issue running mech water temp and oil press?
photo0033kv.jpg

GoatSlayer

Banned
OP, you are most likely running your car with low oil. I had the same issue like 3 weeks ago. I did a full oil change, and guess what the oil pressure came back to normal!

01Jes

Established Member
Water's not as big of an issue but Oil can be if the line splits or leaks.

1ae63073.gif

This with braided line @ the bottom half. Oil fills @ the bottom of isolator w/ braided line to engine, the top fills with water or windshield fluid to indicated pressur gauge. It's 2 parts that are separated by a diaphragm. Can also be used for fuel. Iv used them in the past and they work great. I'm installing one on this vehicle for fuel. They are rated for 120psi

Users who are viewing this thread