Low numbers after cam install

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
Yes it was the crusher.

I previously had a standard inlet and had no issues. I plan to put a spacer down on the gas pedal to take up the slack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

Established Member
Is the slack a Whipple issue? A local guy installed a 2.3 recently and mentioned extra slack in the cable. I did the pedal mod shortly after buying my car so I never had the chance to notice any slack when the Whipple went on.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
This is conclusive proof of the importance of good diagnostics before tearing things apart. Wow, you went though a lot over a throttle cable. I would have been pretty cranky with the shop in your position. I take my hat off to you for keeping your shit together. Not to throw shade on your skills by any stretch but I can understand an owner missing one of the basics but a shop should have found that a long time ago. There have been countless times in my career that I have seen techs jump to the complicated stuff and later finding the simple solution. OP, congrats on finding the problem, hopefully all is good now.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Good idea on the TPS on logs but this is what the dyno looks like when the computer tries to close the throttle and then it snaps back to WOT (in this case back open at 7000rpm). If you stopped pull before 7000rpm it may not have been seen in my case:

IMG_5827.jpeg

At least with cable you don’t have the electrical gremlins of DBW.
Hope your dyno session confirms.
-J

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
Is the slack a Whipple issue? A local guy installed a 2.3 recently and mentioned extra slack in the cable. I did the pedal mod shortly after buying my car so I never had the chance to notice any slack when the Whipple went on.

Not sure. I’ve ran two other whipples and never adjusted the throttle cable.

cj428mach

Established Member
I hope you found the issue, that still looks like it was open pretty far so surprised if it would cause large drop off.

I'm surprised they didn't see the TPS not reaching 100%.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Yes it was the crusher.

I previously had a standard inlet and had no issues. I plan to put a spacer down on the gas pedal to take up the slack

Thats exactly what we had to do to mine, not sure if this is a thing with the crushers but its the 3rd time I've heard of the issue.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
I hope you found the issue, that still looks like it was open pretty far so surprised if it would cause large drop off.

I'm surprised they didn't see the TPS not reaching 100%.

I really hope so. The picture maybe slightly deceiving. Id say it’s opening to around 60°

MG0h3

Established Member
I really hope so. The picture maybe slightly deceiving. Id say it’s opening to around 60°

Man I can’t believe none of us thought to check that.

I’ve seen a few on here over the years where someone found the same thing for various reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Bullitt1448

Established Member
It’s often the case that the simple things get overlooked, techs often go straight to the more complicated thinking it can’t the simple stuff. Had a very experienced tech once diagnose an alternator on a bus as Defective, replaced said $ 2500.00 alternator, still had the same problem, turns out that the main power cable had shorted out about 4’ back and had burned right through. So literally 4’ away the problem was staring him in the face and he didn’t see it. Repaired the cable, put the original alternator beck on and problem solved.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
I think they were so locked in that it had to be cams or a vac leak that they over looked it.

I’m not sure. Or maybe this doesn’t fit it and I still have another problem. I won’t know until it goes back on the dyno. I don’t want to try and go WOT on the street and have it blow up on me.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I think they were so locked in that it had to be cams or a vac leak that they over looked it.

I’m not sure. Or maybe this doesn’t fit it and I still have another problem. I won’t know until it goes back on the dyno. I don’t want to try and go WOT on the street and have it blow up on me.

seems like would perfectly explain it, PD blower cars are known to be sensitive to inlet restrictions and you'd hit a point where it was no longer flowing enough.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Is there a way you can do a pull on the street and have a buddy watch the gauge? This way you can verify no boost drop off before getting to the dyno.

Bullitt1448

Established Member

I am sure they were tunneled on the cam install, I can see them not even looking for it when they did the install but when they knew there was an issue, they should have been looking for the smallest detail during the second tear down. The simple things are usually the easiest ones to miss. It’s like double gasketing when changing oil, simple to look and see if you left one on the housing but often guys don’t look and end up with a leak

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
Is there a way you can do a pull on the street and have a buddy watch the gauge? This way you can verify no boost drop off before getting to the dyno.

I thought about doing it but I don’t think the tune is WOT worthy. I’m okay with waiting a couple weeks there are a couple things I need to button up on other areas of the car anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread