Low Mile GT500 with Mods > Concerns?

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
If you do look for a stone stock car that does not mean it has not been modded and then returned to stock. A lot of folks do that so they can maximize their return on the sale. Usually you get more by selling the mod parts then selling the car with them on it.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
That's what happened to my car. 2 prior owners, car was completely stock. Minus one of the washers behind the damper bolt. Threw check engine lights like a mofo for misfires.

When I pulled my M122 to install a TVS, one of the S/C alignment dowels was missing. o_O

Car is solid and 100% now.

Honestly, as annoying as it was dealing with the initial problems that were NOT design or production quality related, the car has been tough. No major problems with the car that I didn't induce. lol

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... My first thought is that it shouldn't be a concern, but then again.....the fact that it's modded the previous owner liked to go fast....or at least faster than stock. :)

It doesn't necessarily mean that. There are some who just like to tinker with their cars or have some bragging rights to take to the bench races. We have a few members here who like to tinker for more power, etc. but never really "get on" their cars. GT500s are, for the most part, fairly bullet proof. There aren't a whole lot of horror stories out there of them just letting go.

I have assisted a number of folks make informed purchases.

It doesn't cost much and you get the peace of mind that have had professional vetting done, before you make a very expensive mistake.

Feel free to contact me with any questions regarding our service.

(352) 800-4407

Hey, BJ, your business is up and running now?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
In my opinion, that's a testament to how well the Ford Modular engine was designed. Despite being dual overhead cam, theres nothing overly complicated about any of it. Stout blocks and cranks with pistons in certain years and rods in others being weak links.

I mean 32v, SIX bolt mains, forged cranks, Mahle pistons in the 07-14 GT500s alone make them impressive engines. These are really special cars, and Im proud to own one.

Id be proud of the 2014 GT I had before the Shelby if that's all I had. The Coyotes are absolutely crushing it out there. But Id never give up my 4v Modular. Yes, I freely admit to being a fanboy. Sorry not sorry.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Yes sir, Venomous Consulting opened last year (fall) and due to demand we opened a second office for Venomous Tuning a few months later.

The consultancy is primarily B2B for aftermarket automotive manufacturers and resellers.

But, we make a GT500 Personal Performance Plan available for prospective purchasers of these cars and for a comprehensive modification plan. Please check it out at www.venomoustuning.com

There is a link to www.venomoustuning.com there as well.

Thanks for asking.

Bj
It doesn't necessarily mean that. There are some who just like to tinker with their cars or have some bragging rights to take to the bench races. We have a few members here who like to tinker for more power, etc. but never really "get on" their cars. GT500s are, for the most part, fairly bullet proof. There aren't a whole lot of horror stories out there of them just letting go.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Race Red Boss

Established Member

Good point, however my problem is in not knowing the two previous owners. It's a low mile car so I'd hope that would factor in. The fact I can't go drive it without an almost 4 hr. flight, gives me pause. The salesman has agreed to do a facetime/WhatsApp with me beginning of next week while they take it out for a run. I'll see what comes of that.

After I got burnt with an 04 Cobra purchase, I've become extra cautious.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Why not just have the car shipped to you, if you're buying it? That would be way more convenient and probably cheaper, too, when you factor in gas, hotel, etc. A 4-hour plane ride is going to be, what, a two or three day drive?

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Why not just have the car shipped to you, if you're buying it? That would be way more convenient and probably cheaper, too, when you factor in gas, hotel, etc. A 4-hour plane ride is going to be, what, a two or three day drive?

Dealer has agreed to ship the car (by open car carrier) as part of the deal. Definitely don't want to take the 3 day drive with it and run up the miles on it.

Car still have the original 12 yr. old tires on it. What are the chances the two previous drivers didn't swap those out for another set of tires or tires/wheels? Another expense to consider once I have the car...no way I'm driving on 12 yr. old rubber. They must be pretty hard by now.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Factory rubber was garbage anyway. You couldn't pay me to put a set of Goodyears on my car after that experience.

My guess is that one or both previous owners put new wheels/rubber on the car and simply stored the originals....for when they wanted to sell/trade the car in. Can't see anyone owning one of these cars that many years and leaving the stock rubber on.

The only way to be more confident about the condition of the drivetrain, particularly the motor, would be for a compression/leak down test. Was considering asking the selling dealer to do that....

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
My guess is that one or both previous owners put new wheels/rubber on the car and simply stored the originals....for when they wanted to sell/trade the car in. Can't see anyone owning one of these cars that many years and leaving the stock rubber on.

The only way to be more confident about the condition of the drivetrain, particularly the motor, would be for a compression/leak down test. Was considering asking the selling dealer to do that....
Definitely recommend doing so! Absolutely do your due diligence. Just from owning my car for 3 years and beating on it, I can tell you its a tough car. Ford is not kind at all to their test mules. Downright brutal in fact, but its so that we owners get a car that is as trouble free as possible.

If SVT did the same level of torture testing on the GT500 as they did on the Terminators, they are ready to stand the test of time.

Users who are viewing this thread