Low HP Numbers???

H8IMPORTS

Established Member
I Dynoed my 2001 Lightning today and my number were low. (I think) It only put down 356 RWHP and 458 RWT. I have a 6# lower (LFP), K&N FIPK CAI, NGK TR6 plugs gapped at 35, 2 Cats missing, Flowmaster cat back and a custom tune. I have a boost bypass mod and did not take it off when I had it tuned. I was searching and found out that it may have something to do with it. To me the truck don't feel a whole lot faster than before. I was reading that it might make the boost actuator act up. All I have is a stock boost gauge. I'm going to buy an auto meter one and see what my boost is doing. Need help please.

I also want to thank Lightning Force Performance for getting my pulley to me when I needed it. They where out of stock on the hub to make the kit and I told them when I ordered it that my truck was going to be on the Dyno at 12:00 Saturday. The hub came in on Friday and they next day aired (saturday early AM) it to me for no extra charge so I would have plenty of time to put it on. This is the 3rd time to order from them and will order from again.

txyaloo

Established Member
My 03 with a 6lb lower dyno'd at 360/480 on a dynojet. :shrug:

I wasn't too happy with it, but it is what it is. I have a KB waiting to be strapped on after that dysmal performance.

I seriously think mine is in the tune because it's consistantly rich (in the 10's). I've struggled getting it out of there.

Last edited:

khris99s

floridasfastcars.com
Established Member
Had close to the same numbers as you and same mods.....

Except I had a SCT2400 MAf that my tuner forgot to add in the tune.

Once I got the new tune in it went 436/510

H8IMPORTS

Established Member
It was on a Dynojet. The tune is in the truck because the first pull was 344 RWHP and 448 RWT. So it did pick up with the tune.

What can I check? I would like it see if I have a low hp Lightning or if there is something wrong with it that I can change to get it right.

sb306

Established Member
I put down 390hp and 470ftlbs when I had a 4lb, cai, sbtb, electric fan, all cats still intact with the eaton. and that seems kind of low to me. Seems weird, sometimes it seems that they're just hit and miss as far as power goes. But like everone says, its all in the tune.

rodsaleen

Established Member
I see that you are from Alabama, what was the weather like when you got it dyno. Heat and humdity can play a big part.

H8IMPORTS

Established Member
The weather was great. Little cool but I think it was great weather.

I haven't checked the compression but the truck only has 45,000 miles on it. A woman owned it before I did. (not saying anything) When I got the truck it was still stock. I bought the truck with 39,000 miles on it.

I just don't know what to do. I'm a little upset with numbers. The truck does run and pull better than it has but I guess I was expecting to much from it. I thought with 6 more pounds and a custom tune it would of done more. I want 420-450 RWHP. I know I will have to do more than what I got. I thought it would get me around 380 RWHP now. Guess not.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
I'd take it to a track & see what kinda trap it puts down. My dyno #'s weren't much better than yours, but it put up some good #'s at the track where it counts. Maybe your truck picked up a ton of power under the curve, or it's just a case of "different dynos"?

Doug is a good tuner, he'll get you fixed up.

Last edited:

H8IMPORTS

Established Member
Doug is great. He is the only tuner I will use.

I thought about something. When does everyones torque convertor lock up? Mine lockes up 2 seconds after wide open throttle. I think that could be why my numbers may be a little low. Or at least my torque numbers.

BC Lightning

Project Panty Dropper
Established Member
I'd take it to a track & see what kinda trap it puts down. My dyno #'s weren't much better than yours, but it put up some good #'s at the track where it counts.

To me dynos are only good for group dyno days when everybody gets together and you can say I have more power than you :burn:

To me the most important numbers are at the end of the drag strip, take it out see what your 60ft is, your mph, your 1/8 and 1/4 times

what was your a/f reading, i'd be more worried that the a/f was off, did they use a a/f sniffer?? I have seen those things be way off and "tuners" adjusting tunes on the dyno then blowing trucks up (know a personal friend that had a stock motor and 2 built motors blow up on the dyno from the same shop, a/f sniffer was off, put my truck on the dyno after second blown built motor, turned out their a/f was reading way too rich my wideband showed 11.8-12.0 and their a/f readings were 10.0-10.5)

I only do real time data loging on the street and track for my tunes, thats the only way you will get the right load on the truck

with a 6#er you might want to upgrade your MAF, SCT 2400 of MAFIA

I would get a wideband if you dont already have one and then start working on getting your tune fine tuned, could be way too rich and choking the motor of power

H8IMPORTS

Established Member
My air/fuel was 11.8. I'm going to take it to the track but haven't had time yet. I will let everyone know the track times and mph when I go.

Users who are viewing this thread