Low dyno numbers

Pitt13

Need some help. I took my GT500 to the dyno today and the numbers were horrible. The most it pulled was 578. They said it got heat soaked quickly and on the second pull, the antifreeze puked out the overflow (drivers side) cap. I was expecting to see anywhere from 660hp-680hp. My mods are as follows: Revan racing 13-6 power package - JLT CAI, Ford Racing 62mm throttle body, 2.396 Pulley, ported plenum, NGK TR6 spark plugs, 90mm idler pulley, and Lund tune. Any help or advice as to what happened and how to fix it? Thanks

Last edited:

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Have you confirmed your intercooler pump is functioning correctly? Also, assume you meant to say Ford Racing 65mm TB?

Pitt13

Have you confirmed your intercooler pump is functioning correctly? Also, assume you meant to say Ford Racing 65mm TB?
No I haven't brotha. I'll check that. I'm just trying to start the process of elimination. And yes it's ford racing 65mm TB.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
The easiest way is probably to jumper it on in your fuse box. Since the pump makes very little noise and produces minimal visible circulation in the reservior, recommend doing it while the engine is off.

Credit goes to Snoopy49 for the "how to" details in this thread.

djniknala

Established Member
It's easier if you start the engine then squeeze the bigger line that runs in parallel to the reservoir line and look for flow in the reservoir.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
Need some help. I took my GT500 to the dyno today and the numbers were horrible. The most it pulled was 578. They said it got heat soaked quickly and on the second pull, the antifreeze puked out the overflow (drivers side) cap. I was expecting to see anywhere from 660hp-680hp. My mods are as follows: Revan racing 13-6 power package - JLT CAI, Ford Racing 62mm throttle body, 2.396 Pulley, ported plenum, NGK TR6 spark plugs, 90mm idler pulley, and Lund tune. Any help or advice as to what happened and how to fix it? Thanks

That seems low for numbers and something is definitely not right. I have the same spark plugs, pullies changed , Borla S exhaust and upgraded cooling system and heat extractor with twin fans and a PPC tune.My dyno pull is a consistent 577- 582 rwhp. No issues with heat soak.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

eagle eye

Established Member
I put down around the same numbers as Pitt13 with all of the same mods with the exception of pulleys on a Mustang dyno last year.
The temps were in the upper 80s that day and I had the rev limiter set at 6K for all the pulls.
With the Lund 100 octane race gas and tune, it added around an additional 12HP.

eagle eye

Established Member
Mustang dynamometer.
With a Dynojet dyno, I'm certain the number would have been much higher.

kcobra

MUSTANG MANIAC
Established Member
My 03 Cobra did the same puking out the reservoir and it was my IC pump that was actually working part time. Sometimes it was good, others not. I would say that is your issue.

kwarnerjr

Established Member

I recently had an issue where my car was making low power (running a 12.3 instead of 11.2-11.4) and purging coolant out of the hood vents at at the end of the Drag Strip. IC pump was not working correctly, in fact it was receiving 0 power. I bought a new pump and the pump still would not turn on. I then found that in a relay the green wire for IC pump had melted/burnt out. I replaced that wire and that solved the problem.

Your issue sounds very similar if not exactly the same.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Pitt13

Tried jumping the pump and it's not working so I'll be troubleshooting any wires to see if that may be the issue. Fuses are fine as well. As for now, I'm thinking a new pump.

Pitt13

I recently had an issue where my car was making low power (running a 12.3 instead of 11.2-11.4) and purging coolant out of the hood vents at at the end of the Drag Strip. IC pump was not working correctly, in fact it was receiving 0 power. I bought a new pump and the pump still would not turn on. I then found that in a relay the green wire for IC pump had melted/burnt out. I replaced that wire and that solved the problem.

Your issue sounds very similar if not exactly the same.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
I'm gonna check for that wire as well. Thanks brotha

Users who are viewing this thread