Low Coolant Sensor?

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
Can anyone tell me if there is a Low Coolant Sensor on the Terminator and if so where is is? I don't believe there is one but I may have missed something. Looked through the Service Manual and I see no reference for one.

Blueline

Established Member
I dont remember seeing one. Im not near my car to check, but just put the key in the "on" position for the bulb check and see if theres one. If not check your owners manual, if you have one, under warning lights.

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
We did a Terminator engine swap a few years ago so I don't have a manual. We did use the Terminator ECM and Cluster but don't recall wiring up a specific sensor like the '96 had in the overflow tank. Recently had a low coolant issue and did not see a light come on and it got me wondering. There is a light that does light up with "key on" to the extreme right of the cluster that I think may be the cooling indicator but the symbol is not clear.
Thanks

Blueline

Established Member
Actually the light to the right is the brake light, then to the left of that is ABS then traction control. Thinking about it now, I do not think there is a sensor, I dont recall any warning light for low coolant. I can check when I get back to my car though. GL!

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
Well I don't have the 03 Cluster because I had a separate boost gauge so I used a 99 cluster which is different. I found manuals for both online and the indicators are slighlty different. It looks like there is an indicator on the 99 but not on the 03 cluster. In the 03 Cluster there is a Check Fuel Cap indicator to the extreme right but no Coolant Indicator

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Correct there is no low coolant warning light.

If you do actually have low coolant, it will generally be obvious how it got that way, so a warning light is really not needed.

It's just something that is important enough on a Terminator engine that we just have to stay on top of it.
Engine cooling is a pretty known issue, so we watch it closely.

Most of us I hope.

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
I agree with you.... I would never rely on an idiot light to keep me informed of the egine status only. They can be of assistance however if you slowly lose coolant while driving. You could be low on coolant and engine temps would not be abnormal until the coolant level got dangerously low. In that scenario a level indicator can be good to warn you of impending doom. The main reason I was asking however was there was one on the '96 vehicle and I thought we just forgot to hook it up during the swap. I like to have everything that should be working doing so properly.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Be on the look out and be aware of the leaking rad resv cap issue, which does not leak coolant, it leaks AIR.

This can happen easily without us ever knowing, until an air pocket boil over occurs.

You will have done the burp/fill procedure 100% correct and yet over time a leaking rad cap allows air in and :xpl: it pukes out.

Once this happens both the cap and often the resv. top cap surface become warped and will not re-seal even with a new cap.

The top of the resv can often be resurfaced with a file to true it back up if this does happen, though once a cap gets puked on it will usually be trashed.

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
Good point.... Interestingly enough I had a thermostat go bad and as a result of that it trashed the cap which I was unaware of. Slowly lost fluid as a result of the bad cap but once I replaced the cap all is good now. You are right I think many overlook the importance of the cap and the effect that leaking air can ultimatley cause fluid loss.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
It shouldn't be too hard to fab up a system. Put a sensor in the crossover tube (weld in a bung a short way down the tube). Hook up a light (maybe on top of the steering column). Key on. If it lights up, you're low. Wouldn't trust it when running, but at startup it could provide a nice warning to add coolant.

The hard part will be finding a sensor and building a circuit to make it work.

Blueline

Established Member
I would think the sensor would need to be in the resevoir tank wouldnt it? If you put it in the crossover pipe, by the time it drops to a low level, you probably all ready over heated. In the tank it will give you much more time to refill the coolant and room for error? I may be wrong though...

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
I actually have a sensor in the Resevoir tank already. That is where they were on the SN-95 cars. Never hooked it up and that is what got me asking the questions as I saw the sensor in the tank not being used. I found a pinout for the 03 ECM and they don't show a pinout for it. Maybe ln the tune there is be provision for it. Need to check this out.

Last edited:

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I would think the sensor would need to be in the resevoir tank wouldnt it? If you put it in the crossover pipe, by the time it drops to a low level, you probably all ready over heated. In the tank it will give you much more time to refill the coolant and room for error? I may be wrong though...
You're right. That is a better place for a sensor.

Users who are viewing this thread