Low Budget starter upgrades for performance

SVTCC

Hey everyone, sorry to be that guy, but I recently bought a 97 Manual trans. Cobra and have been going through all the fluid changes and engine cleaning to make sure I have a good base. My plan is to push the Teksid motor as far as she goes little by little, with the end slamdunk being a supercharger w/nitrous. So that being said, until that point, where should I start that will be compatible? Also I might need to do a different thread, but along those lines I would like to have trans. Upgrade suggestions for a end goal of 700-800hp

Thanks for taking the time to give me a peek guys

Look forward to hearing all the good details

shurur

Established Member
NASVT Recipe fixed!!!
NA ~300 RWHP with 96-98 DOHC B-Head 4.6L:
K&N filter
OEM Cams
March damper
March hydraboost and WP pulleys
Long tubes
Hi Flow Cats/Cat Delete mid-pipe
B-Head SRI
90mm LMAF
Tune (canned..more $ for real tuner tune)

350 RWHP:
Na svt spec'd cams properly degreed.
Tune.

If you plan to go SC later...you would skip the march damper and pulleys....or put them in and sell them after you go SC.

na svt (Todd Warren) has custom cams now and a FB page.
Everything on this list can be ported over to a BB, stroker or BB-stoker at a later date.
Same for a procharger SC, minus the March damper and pulleys.

Todd Warren (na svt) has custom cams now.
You would need to get with him about your cam choice and future plans.
NA SVT Cams Classifieds
NA SVT Camshafts, Modular Tech Group Public Group | Facebook

There is a separate 99-01 cobra, 03-04 mach 1 c-head NA recipe as well. The c- heads will get you ~370 NA with similar mods.

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
Also...a CAI does nothing for these engines.
Save your money.

"Low budget" is a relative term.

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
OH...WTH..

NASVT Recipe fixed!!!
NA ~320 RWHP with 99-01 DOHC C-Head 4.6L:
K&N filter
OEM Cams
March damper
March hydraboost and WP pulleys
Long tubes
Hi Flow Cats/Cat Delete mid-pipe
Tune (canned..more $ for real tuner tune)

360-370 RWHP:
NA SVT custom cams properly degreed.
short runner. (only If running above 7k RPM)
Tune

As I think I understand it...FP, 39# injectors and 90mm MAF with retune can be added at this point to extract a bit more from the 4.6 and prep for a stroker or BB stroker build.

boost88

Established Member
Ah ok makes sense. I think it was Richard Holdener who did a video on those and it was unimpressive without cams to match. Probably stick with my plan of c heads for around 320ish

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

shurur

Established Member
Ah ok makes sense. I think it was Richard Holdener who did a video on those and it was unimpressive without cams to match. Probably stick with my plan of c heads for around 320ish

If you get C-heads, you are going to need the upper and lower intake as well...or some combo thereof.
Like a 99+ lower with adapter for 98- upper..
Dunno...not my thing..

Avoid getting a used '99 lower intake unless you know it is a revised intake, as the originals had aluminum flashing in the runners. And I suspect many dealers pencil whipped that part of the recall work on the '99.
I just had to replace my unrevised lower with a 04 mach1 lower intake...$300.

boost88

Established Member
Yeah I wad planning the adapter route to keep the upper intake i have. All in due time

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Depending on what your HP/TQ goals are, if you are throwing boost at it you may be better off sticking with the B heads. Will save you a good amount of money.
C heads will get you more power, but the # difference may not be justifiable for you.
Or Maybe do them last, if you really are ready for 700-800. If you plan on a built motor and a SC for a while, the B heads will hold you over for a bit.

boost88

Established Member
Depending on what your HP/TQ goals are, if you are throwing boost at it you may be better off sticking with the B heads. Will save you a good amount of money.
C heads will get you more power, but the # difference may not be justifiable for you.
Or Maybe do them last, if you really are ready for 700-800. If you plan on a built motor and a SC for a while, the B heads will hold you over for a bit.
Yeah not gonna be going for all that. Probably a modest 330-350 in the end. Its just a weekend cruiser plus I don't have the budget for most of that

xblitzkriegx

Established Member

He didn't Dyno a modded factory SRI with correct runner lengths. A factory modded intake WILL make good power.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I vote skip the small crap, slap a used blower kit on there with new pumps and injectors and enjoy it for a while.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
2 different people looking for advice in here and I got confused i think. My post was for the O.P.

@boost88 if all you want is 350, just slap a vortech kit on it with proper fuel upgrades.

boost88

Established Member
2 different people looking for advice in here and I got confused i think. My post was for the O.P.

@boost88 if all you want is 350, just slap a vortech kit on it with proper fuel upgrades.
Yeah sorry I think I screwed that one up.

Users who are viewing this thread