Love my pro5.0 shifter but...

Hunter6

Established Member
it's not as smooth as I would like it to be. Do any of you have any recommendations on how I can help this?:shrug:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I like my TriAx as well but would like a smoother shift, too. I think the answer is to install a new clutch quadrant and firewall cable adjuster. I've heard it makes a night and day difference.

cobrabruce

Established Member
The shifters have nothing to do with the smoothness of the shift. The internal workings of the tranny has the most to do with that as long as the clutch is fully disengaged. A new clutch Quadrant and cable adjuster will help if that a problem. You could also install a longer lever on the shifter. The short aftermarket levers will make the shifting characteristics of a tranny seem less smooth due to a loss of leverage and throw length.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
I'll second that.

Here's how you know the shifter doesn't have anything to do with the notchiness of the shift.

Take an uninstalled Pro 5.0 shifter and move the mechanism around. Notice how it moves 360 degress all over really smoothly?

The notchiness is in the tranny. Personally I like it. It feels muscular and direct. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Hunter6

Established Member
Makes sense, thanks for the info. The reason I bring it up is because sometimes I will get a slight hesitation in between gears...almost like there is a little too much resistance. On an occasion it has contributed to missed shifts. Most of the time it is pretty smooth. Do you all experience this?

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
If you get it hot and you are banging them hard it sometimes can feel almost like it's blocking you. I've had it happen on rare occaisions.

Hunter6

Established Member
You desribe it perfectly...altough it happens to me more often then just hard driving conditions.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
If it's happening as often as every other time you drive the car or every third time or so, I'd take it in.

It only happens to me on rare occaisions.

I've had 3 T56 s in this Cobra, but this third one is beautiful.

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
I like my TriAx as well but would like a smoother shift, too. I think the answer is to install a new clutch quadrant and firewall cable adjuster. I've heard it makes a night and day difference.

Any recommendations CobraBob? I've heard either UPR or Steeda.

Users who are viewing this thread