Loud Obnoxious Noise after Changing Power Steering Fluid

AnarchyVA

Established Member
The Richs were right.

Turned on the AC and unplugged tha fan and the noise stopped.

Pulled the fan out and it's broken.

Now the question is is a fan from an auto parts store okay or would I be better off buying something a little better?

BTW....what is this cylindrical electronic component that basically fell out when I pulled the fan?

F0621D47-FD91-42B4-B35B-4B1821BA8CE3_zps6lsazcq8.jpg

6F96DC7F-F008-4D2E-BE33-13F85AA8BAF1_zpszvwwo5q6.jpg

RichM1983

Established Member
I screwed up when I replaced mine and used a parts store fan and just tossed my stock unit. I have read that you can replace the fan/ring and still use the oem parts. Maybe buy a cheap parts store setup and swap the fan over to your OEM motor. Someone with more experience in that department can chime in on whether or not thats even possible.

wckdvnm

Established Member
I've replaced the actual fan blade twice now. First one broke then I modified a 98 mark 8 blade to work with the motor. Works just fine but I had to modify it like crazy to get it to fit the stock motor. It's quieter than the stock blade and flows more air. But most just put the motor from a mark 8 in with the blade they will work with the stock housing

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

awakened

Established Member
You mentioned that you topped off coolant among other fluids. Did you do that through the crossover tube or the resevoir cap? Not that it is related to your fan/noise issue but just making sure you used the crossover tube. It's a unique thing with these cars. Once the reservoir is at the right level and the system is properly burped all coolant filling should be done through the crossover tube.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

AnarchyVA

Established Member
I think adding the coolant to the crossover tube is a helpful alternative when burping the system of air. Which I have done in the recent past. It's simply a place where air will collect due to it being the top most part of the system.

But just to top off the fluid you can use the reservoir just like any other car.

1. Engine coolant refill procedure

The following procedure should be used when refilling the cooling system after it has been drained or become extremely low.

1. Remove the pressure relief cap from the engine coolant reservoir as previously outlined.

2. Slowly add a 50/50 mixture of engine coolant and distilled water to the engine coolant reservoir until the coolant level is at the “cold fill level” as listed on the reservoir.

3. Reinstall the pressure relief cap.

4. Start and idle the engine until the upper radiator hose is warm (this indicates the thermostat is open and coolant is flowing through the entire system).

5. Shut the engine off and let it cool.

6. Remove the pressure relief cap from the engine coolant reservoir as previously outlined.

7. Add a 50/50 mixture of engine coolant and distilled water to the engine coolant reservoir until the coolant level is at the “cold fill level” as listed on the reservoir.

8. Reinstall the pressure relief cap.

9. Check the coolant level in the reservoir before you drive your vehicle the next few times (with the engine cool).

10. If necessary, add a 50/50 mixture of engine coolant and distilled water to the engine coolant reservoir until the coolant level is at the “cold fill level” as listed on the reservoir.

After any coolant has been added, check the coolant concentration (refer to Checking Engine Coolant). If the concentration is not 50/50 (protection to –34° F/–36° C), drain some coolant and adjust the concentration. It may take several drains and additions to obtain a 50/50 coolant concentration.

Whenever coolant has been added, the coolant level in the coolant reservoir should be checked the next few times you drive the vehicle. If necessary, add enough 50/50 concentration of engine coolant and distilled water to bring the liquid level to the proper level.

If you have to add more than 1.0 liter (1.0 quart) of engine coolant per month, have your dealer check the engine cooling system. Your cooling system may have a leak. Operating an engine with a low level of coolant can result in engine overheating and possible engine damage.
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/03mussv1e.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread