Loud Obnoxious Noise after Changing Power Steering Fluid

AnarchyVA

Established Member
Could this be related or coincidental?

I did not flush the system. I only sucked out what was in the reservoir and added to the max line with Valvoline Mercon V.

Did I do something wrong? Or could this be something completely unrelated??

AnarchyVA

Established Member
I'm leaning towards air in the system. I'm going to try bleeding it again. It just sounds so aweful I'm scared to turn it over.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
I bet you spilled fluid on the belt, that's my guess.

This is more than likely what have going on. If you didn't drain the lines, there is no air in the system. I've changed a whole tank out and didn't have a problem. Does the noise occur at idle or when you're turning the wheel?

BMSTNG

Established Member
It's air in the system. I had the same problem when I swapped out my ps reservoir. Jack up your front end get the wheels off the ground and turn the wheel real slow from left to right until the wheel bottoms out. You need to have the cap off so you can see when the air bubbles stop. It helps to have someone turning the wheel while you watch the reservoir. It takes time, driving the car around awhile will help also. After you park the car open the cap and you may hear some air release

AnarchyVA

Established Member
Well, MAYBE it isn't related? The noise only occurs when the AC is on. When you turn the AC off the noise goes away completely.

The AC worked fine last night. Now this?

I'm trying to figure out how this could be related to the power steering fluid change......???

If I can get video on here I'll let you listen to the sound its making when the AC is on.

MG0h3

Established Member
Wth.

Can't see oil on the belt causing that.

However, since I see ps fluid spilled, I'd try the water trick. Then pull the belts.

Engine has oil in it?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

MG0h3

Established Member
If the belt is making noise the water will change it. Typically on a dry squeaky belt, it will temporarily stop the noise entirely.

Again, I've never heard a belt make noise like that but I always look at what I just did when a new problem arises.

What else did you do other than suck the fluid out?

And the noise totally stops when the ac disengages?

AnarchyVA

Established Member
It doesn't sound like a belt problem. It sounds like something mechanical. There is a loud metallic clicking sound. When the AC disengages the sound completely goes away. I'm wondering if some dripped on the alternator and when the AC is turned on the extra load makes the alternator make some noise? Its hard for me to tell exactly what is making the noise. And I really hate reproducing that sound longer than I have to.

All I did was suck out the power steering fluid with a turkey baster. And then pour new fluid in. I thought I did both pretty carefully.

I topped off the master cylinder with some brake fluid and the radiator (with distilled water) as well. I was going to replace the fuel filter but didn't feel like getting into that.

AnarchyVA

Established Member
The alternator is right below the power steering reservoir. I'm thinking that i may have dropped some of the transmission fluid onto the alternator. Which damaged it in some manner.

I will run the car up to temperature with the AC off to see if the fan is part of the problem.

RichM1983

Established Member
This. Check your fan ring. Mine did the exact same thing. The fan ring cracked and sounded like the engine was coming apart. Scared the shit out of me. Almost guarantee thats it.

Could it be a problem with the fan, because that would be running with the ac on.

MG0h3

Established Member
They're referring to the cooling fan connected to the radiator. Possible that you leaned on the shroud and cracked it I suppose.

If a quick visual inspection of your work doesn't reveal anything I'd get a mechanics stethoscope to narrow some the source of the noise. You can even use some old fuel hose in a pinch.

I can't see oil causing a mechanical failure in the alternator.

Guy mentioning the broken fan running during AC operation may be onto something.

AnarchyVA

Established Member
Many years ago I actually had something similar happen with my 95 GT. I can't remember exactly what happened. I think the shroud cracked or the fan bent or something. But the fan blades were hitting the shroud. It made a god aweful noise. Somehow I fixed it.

I'll look at the fan more later. I'll try unplugging it to see if it makes the same noise with the AC on. I just don't know how I could have messed up the fan shroud. It's buried under several different things. Which will also make it a bit more difficult to fix.

We will see....

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I'm still thinking you spilled fluid on belt. A/C will put a big load on the belt, thus if there's a little slippage it will be MUCH more pronounced with A/C on. Lots of these types of noises can actually sound mechanical.

Spray water or 'belt dressing' on the belt while the A/C is on and all the noise is present, and then see if the noise changes in pitch or intensity. If noise varies, then you know belt is oiled up.

Users who are viewing this thread