Lotto Probability Question

Mjavant1985

Figgy (Cam) Newton
Established Member
I'm seriously surprised some big company or person ala Bill Gates doesn't recognize this as a way to make money. You spend 176 million and even after taxes as long as you don't split with anyone you get like 275 million. Seems like easy money to me...

Ibleedblue13

Established Member
I won a grand on a 5 dollar scratch ticket. Still buy a few here and there but at this point i'm happy just being up on them

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
Everytime I don't play I win a dollar.

That being said, I'll throw a fiver at the occasional big one.

(When I buy usually I buy 2 tickets. I feel the first dollar doubles your chances; subsequent dollars have diminishing returns.)

Last edited:

99cobra302

Established Member
i picked up a ticket. i know my chances of winning are beyond slim. but here is my reasoning

1: SOMEONE has to win eventually
2. by NOT buying a ticket my chances are 0. some chance is better than no chance
3. it was only 5 bucks.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Ill probably drop $10 on it, cant win if you dont play. I cant imagine what winning that much money would be like. a million dollars would completely alter my life so winning nearly 300mill, I cant even fathom.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
I bought a Mega millions ticket today simply because its fun to dream. Saturday I'll get up, put on the same boots and jeans, get in the same truck, and go right back to work in the same position as today (minus two dollars). But it is enjoyable to dream.

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
i never play. ever. and i have the WORST luck possible. my car breaks all the time, im always losing crap and that sort of thing.

i figure ....HEY maybe Karma will smile on me since im always positive about it haha.

no but really....sure the chances are slim to none, but what has already said was true. Someone has to win. Just think if the jackpot winner said " well i have barely any chance....so i just wont play!"

i spent 15 bucks. ive spent more on a little black fitting for a car that doesnt run. HAHA

joeg215

Readin posts, rollin eyes
Established Member
You're actually getting good pot odds to play it. You're risking odds of 170 million to win twice as much.
Though the possibility of chopping it do make it worse.

Last edited:

mckpat03

Diesel FTW
Established Member
I bought a Mega millions ticket today simply because its fun to dream. Saturday I'll get up, put on the same boots and jeans, get in the same truck, and go right back to work in the same position as today (minus two dollars). But it is enjoyable to dream.

Exactly how I look at it. :beer: It's fun to kick around ideas of all the wacky stuff you can do with all the money haha.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
if you had the time, to have the cards made up to select every possible combination,

and then no one else hits it, you would make nearly 200 million.

However, the time to actually get $35,200,000 tickets printed up would probably not happen

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
just an FYI, one of the winning tickets was bought at a town 10 minutes south of me, little old town named red bud. Dude bought it at a motomart like a week ago.

MAN!!!!!!! my friend actually knows him. I told him he is going to need personal protection and he could hire me for the small hourly rate of 1000 dollars haha

Users who are viewing this thread