Lost to a 350Z...owned an Accord coupe!

Cobra_Man

Banned
Hey, ran a couple times last night in my STOCK 95 Cobra...

Race 1.) Lose to a '04 STOCK 350Z 6 speed from a dig by 3.5 cars.
Race 2.) Lose to the same 350Z from 20 roll to 110 by 2.5 cars.
Race 3.) Beat an Accord coupe from a dig to 100 by 3.5 cars!

My main problem is my launch...it sucks so bad. The 350 jumped 1.5 cars on the launch alone. I am taking it up to 2k RPM and dropping the clutch and giving it 3/4 throttle...and spinning like no OTHER on street tires. Any suggestions on how I can improve this without getting Drag Radials? Thanks! :)

Bootbox

Established Member
I've seen boosted 350Zs run high 13s and the owner's were happy with it, those cars are dogs. Either that guy wasn't stock or my god man, you have really got some work to do. Nice kill on the Honda though. :)

Wintermute

Banned
Cobra_Man said:
My main problem is my launch...it sucks so bad. The 350 jumped 1.5 cars on the launch alone. I am taking it up to 2k RPM and dropping the clutch and giving it 3/4 throttle...and spinning like no OTHER on street tires. Any suggestions on how I can improve this without getting Drag Radials? Thanks! :)

What size are your tires ? Shouldn't be that hard to hook up if you are on performance radials. . . I wouldnt worry about rpm too much, just time the clutch out and the accelerator in like you are just starting from a light, and then ease up to WOT, keeping just on the edge of wheelspin.

One thing I tend to do is stroke the accelerator once, then as the rpms are dropping back down, let the clutch out and stomp on it, stops you from bogging.

Last edited:

DVan8504

Established Member
Bootbox said:
I've seen boosted 350Zs run high 13s and the owner's were happy with it, those cars are dogs. Either that guy wasn't stock or my god man, you have really got some work to do. Nice kill on the Honda though. :)

Afraid you're mistaken. Stock Zs can beat stock '99-'04 mustang gts, and fall a little short of the new gts. Best time I've seen is a 13.6 stock, and average time is around 13.9. high 13s boosted is horrible.

just look at the specs and decide for yourself:
2003 nissan 350z coupe
roughly 3300 lbs. (depends on trim)
3.5L v6 making 287hp/26xtq or 3.5L v6 making 300hp and slightly less tq

Cobra_Man: What year was the accord you raced? Did it have any mods?

bssmith1220

Established Member
DVan8504 said:
Afraid you're mistaken. Stock Zs can beat stock '99-'04 mustang gts, and fall a little short of the new gts. Best time I've seen is a 13.6 stock, and average time is around 13.9. high 13s boosted is horrible.

just look at the specs and decide for yourself:
2003 nissan 350z coupe
roughly 3300 lbs. (depends on trim)
3.5L v6 making 287hp/26xtq or 3.5L v6 making 300hp and slightly less tq

Cobra_Man: What year was the accord you raced? Did it have any mods?

I have never seen a Z run a 13.6 stock....more like 14.30's. I'll take my GT in a race against a Z any day unless it has a power adder.

DVan8504

Established Member
like i said, that was the best time i've ever seen. it's certainly not average. i'm not knocking anything here, but again, just look at the specs and that should give you an idea.

95kobrah

Established Member
hmm... ive never lost to a stock 99+GT or 350z, but i can say the GT's put up a better fight. Just my experiences though :poke:

bssmith1220

Established Member
DVan8504 said:
like i said, that was the best time i've ever seen. it's certainly not average. i'm not knocking anything here, but again, just look at the specs and that should give you an idea.
How about this.....I work at Nissan so I drive Z's everyday. My car is a 04 Gt, mine has bigger balls for sure. No offense but I have driven both, numerous times. On a side note I have raced more than one Z car with mods like intake, exhaust, and various other small things, I have current mods in sig and I have never lost to one.

DVan8504

Established Member
I'm not going to take up anymore of this guy's thread to discuss this. I'll shoot you a PM though.

EDIT: Alright, just kidding I guess I need more posts to PM someone. Oh well. On with the thread.

Last edited:

Wintermute

Banned
bssmith1220 said:
How about this.....I work at Nissan so I drive Z's everyday. My car is a 04 Gt, mine has bigger balls for sure. No offense but I have driven both, numerous times. On a side note I have raced more than one Z car with mods like intake, exhaust, and various other small things, I have current mods in sig and I have never lost to one.

How are they to drive in terms of handling and thowing them around ? I've always kinda wondered if driving a blown 350Z might be "more fun" than the cobra, even if it isnt as fast straight line.

DVan8504

Established Member
Win7ermute said:
How are they to drive in terms of handling and thowing them around ? I've always kinda wondered if driving a blown 350Z might be "more fun" than the cobra, even if it isnt as fast straight line.

Ok, now if anyone tries to say the Z doesn't HANDLE well, then I'm going to have to assume there's something in the water here. That's what it was built for, corner carving. It just happens to also have decent grunt as well despite the low ETs some pull off.

bssmith1220

Established Member
Win7ermute said:
They do handle extremely well....we have a couple of twin turbo Z's at our dealer. They are a blast to drive, can really throw them in the corners.

willy_sc5.0

Established Member
You guys should visit my350z.com forum street section. Those guys swear that the walk all over the pre 05 stangs and many claim beating 05s easily.

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
To work on your launch, go to any drag strip. You won't know what works until you see the actual 60ft numbers. Also, try lowering your tires psi a bit. I run at about 28-30 psi on the street. At 35 psi they spin a ton worse.

old guys rule

Red Blown Sled
Established Member
Lower your tire pressure, heat them up, however street tires dont require a lot of heating they will get greasy if to hot, launch rpms seems a bit low to me. start at about 25 lbs in the tires and work down in pressure until you hit your best combo. You might invest in some traction bars Just a suggestion.

Last edited:

03svtsnakevert

COPASNICKA
Established Member
put some lakewood control arms on it...I did on my 02 GT and it hooked well, street, strip...etc...Just had worn tires, but even with those it hooked....easy install too...

joegt38

Established Member
The 350Z is a good run with a GT but the edge goes to the GT for having a better torq curv and a hell of a better hole shot. As for the 95 Cobra a buddy of mine had one and it didn't feel as quick as my GT did at all we never raced but I drove it a quite a few times.
Does anyone have any times for a stock 95 GT?

You should just try launching at different RPMs (lower) till you notice it hooks better or just get some sticky tires and launch it hard.... Good luck next time.

StangJason

Established Member
joegt38 said:
The 350Z is a good run with a GT but the edge goes to the GT for having a better torq curv and a hell of a better hole shot. As for the 95 Cobra a buddy of mine had one and it didn't feel as quick as my GT did at all we never raced but I drove it a quite a few times.
Does anyone have any times for a stock 95 GT?

You should just try launching at different RPMs (lower) till you notice it hooks better or just get some sticky tires and launch it hard.... Good luck next time.

Back when these cars were newer a lot of the magazines (Motor Trend, Road and Track etc) listed the 95 Cobra's not really any faster than the 95 GTs so there is probably something in what you are saying here.

Users who are viewing this thread