Loose Caliper Bolts!

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
That's a bad idea.

Red loc-tite is pretty drastic overkill and is considered "non-removable". It basically epoxies the bolt in the thread. Blue loc-tite is more then enough to secure the bolt and you won't ruin anything when you remove the bolt.

You better tell Ford then. The new bolts come with red thread locker on them. Have had mine off again already and it was not a problem to break them loose or re-torque them correctly.

SlowSVT

Established Member
You better tell Ford then. The new bolts come with red thread locker on them. Have had mine off again already and it was not a problem to break them loose or re-torque them correctly.

I removed mine without too much trouble as well.

Based on the description below I wonder why Ford did not go with blue Loctite. The engine is full of threaded fasteners exposed to vibration and rotating forces without any form of thread locking. Not saying it's not needed but as I stated red Loctite seems a bit overkill. I have worked on many cars that had no thread locker applied to the caliper bolts without issues. This is the first I've ever heard of Mustang calipers coming loose and seems like an isolated incident.

Loctite® Threadlocker Red 271™ is designed for the permanent locking and sealing of threaded fasteners. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces. It protects threads from rust and corrosion and prevents loosening from shock and vibration. It is only removable once cured by heating up parts to 500°F (260°C).

Loctite® Threadlocker Blue 242® is designed for the locking and sealing of threaded fasteners which require normal disassembly with standard hand tools. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces. It protects threads from rust and corrosion and prevents loosening from shock and vibration. Loctite® Threadlocker Blue 242® is particularly suited for applications on less active substrates such as stainless steel and plated surfaces, where disassembly is required for servicing.

The reason I say this is because I had a bad experience when I mistakenly used red Loctite which literally welded the screws in place :cuss:

Users who are viewing this thread