Looks like SVTP may be doing a 3.0 swap.

CSVT

Back for the first time
Established Member
Got the damper off... Was really easy once I took the washer off that was behind the crank bolt! (yeah I know pretty dumb) The 3L heads came off easily and I cleaned some carbon buildup off the pistons it looked like the escape it came out of may have been a rollover and some oil got on top of the pistons while it was still hot or before the fuel pump kicked off. Anyways my 3L shortblock is pretty clean now.

CSVT

Back for the first time
Established Member
MSDS headers and SVT timing components showed up yesterday. Still waiting on the SVT heads and a little suprise :rockon:
rockauto sent me headgaskets for a Saturn.... so I'll be making a trip to advanced auto since fel pro lists two part numbers For 3L engines and I don't know the difference between them.
Does anyone else have a living room full of parts and a shortbock sitting next to their fishtank? :dw:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
fel pro lists two part numbers For 3L engines and I don't know the difference between them.
I'm taking a SWAG here, and Brapple I'm sure will chime in, but my best guess for the differences is probably due to the Water Pump location.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
not sure unless the difference is between the vulcan and the duratec.
Ah, forgot about that one!

I saw the apt full of parts. Pics of that need to be posted.
I remember those days....I'll pic whore of what my turd looked like prior to all my 3.0L goodies showing up. This is circa '02.

5514710008_large.jpg

5514710010_large.jpg

CSVT

Back for the first time
Established Member
Taking the heads to the machine shop today. Hopefully they don't rape me on the price I was told by someone "in the know" that the charge should be between $3-$5 per valve to cut the bigger seats plus whatever they charge for dissasembly/reassembly of the valvetrain. I also want them hot tanked and shaved/checked for warpage since they are used heads.
FWIW both pairs of headgasket part numbers were for the duratec not the Vulcan. I ordered the cheaper 01-04 gasket set. I didn't see any point in getting the 05 up set it was more money and whatever extra gasket material there is for the waterpump would be in the wrong place for my heads.

CSVT

Back for the first time
Established Member
Machine shop wanted over $1000 so I said umm no thanks. I'm just going to use my stock heads with some mild exhaust port work.

CSVT

Back for the first time
Established Member
I'll be a Rich's Sunday. Have beer ready.

Ill have plenty of beer ready. I'm leaving the work at the shop between 12 and 1 so I'll be down there at 3 or 4.:banana:

SVO Ryan I have your trunk filled with parts picture beat...I have an engine in mine.:lol:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
We managed to get a ton of work done only to be held up by a broken speedometer gear. We should be able to finish up the install next weekend.

CSVT

Back for the first time
Established Member
Well the broken speedo gear gave me a chance to fix some other issues I found. Rear calipers and ebrake cables needed replaced a long with stainless steel brake lines. They were supposed to be included (according to the seller on CEG) with the wilwood calipers I bought but he lied and never sent them so I just bought some myself. (which I would have done anyway but he assured me they were coming) I really hate people that lie about dumb shit like that.
Anyways the NPG rear brake upgrade is a serious pain in the ass to install! Def not a couple hours in the driveway job!

Users who are viewing this thread