Looking to improve gas mileage a bit

ESVEETEE

Established Member
I currently drive 500-600 miles a week back and forth to work in the cobra.

I'm looking to improve my gas mileage. I currently am averaging 20 mpg @ 80 mph. My commute is maybe 90% highway/interstate.

My mods are in my signature and I'm currently running the factory tune.

Would it be worthwhile to get a tune, would my MPG increase enough to outweigh the cost of a tune? Also, what is the best speed to drive for gas mileage with 3.73s?

I should mention I can't afford another car right now, but I'm spending about $400/month in gas.

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
You will do much better on gas mileage running 70 instead of 80, but it probably is not practical. I can't imagine putting that kinda miles on one of these cars, in 2 weeks you do the same amount of driving your car as I do in a year lol. I am sure at 80 mph you would gain 2-3 mpg if you switch back to 3.27 gears, I doubt a tune is going to help mpg much, maybe I am wrong on that though.

But damn I would avoid some of that driving if I could - find someone to carpool with! (Sure you hadn't thought of that ) good luck

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
I agree on both the gears and slower driving. A tune can also help.

There is a forum over on Corral that you may find some good info in: Green-Rodding - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

One thing I know is that a tune that is optimized for fuel economy is not optimized for good emissions. I suspect your NOx emissions may go up quite a bit with a tune for economy.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
my 97 vert is completely stock. i just avg'd 24mpg at 80mph in texas on a 400 mile round trip for the holidays. that was with some spirited passing (110+) and a little in town stuff mixed in. 90/10, hwy/city.

swapping to 3.27s will help. a tune that runs a lil lean will help. most importantly, make sure the car is in good mechanical condition.

mustang3X

Established Member
you'll need to drop to a 2.73 to see any appreciable gains in mileage, you'll also have to creep along at 70.

Best option is to buy a used focus and use that to commute, you can find good ones for 2 to 4K. If you are spending $400 per month in gas only for the cobra the focus will pay for itself in as little as 1 year.

In addition you keep the wear and tear off the cobra which helps its value.

jmsa540

Established Member
Honestly, I think a tune would benefit you. Think of it as a 17 year software upgrade. (Like going from Windows 95 to Windows 8.1) Hey, nice tranny by the way! ;)

CzchMex

Established Member
It's all about how you accelerate. I have a semi stock Cobra and used to get 22mpg on the highway with lots of driving. Now I get 18mpg because I drive it for fun now.

I still have stock 3.27s. However shift before 2,000rpm (1,500 if you can) and sometimes skip gears (1-3-5) or (2-4-5-)

But good luck on trying to get better than 20…I see that as good.

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
My first 97 cobra was well over 100k miles and basically all stock, still had 3.27, it would get 20-25 no matter how it was driven, yes 25 is possible in these cars.

My current car has 3.73 and a vortech, I still get close to 20, I believe I could be over that 20 mpg if I shifted before 2500 rpm or so, staying out of boost...for some reason I have never been able to test that hypothesis.

ESVEETEE

Established Member
I typically shift at 2200. However 85 is 3000 rpms.

I'm going to look into the tune because I think the imrc deletes hurt my mid range power costing me a few mpg.

I'm even running 245/45/17 on all four corners.

My car consumes oil pretty decently. I'm adding maybe 2 quarts each oil change. I should probably do a compression test to see how the rings are doing.

I tried slowing down but the hills make it tough to go too slow and my gas mileage didn't change. I couldn't imagine going up a steep hill with 3.27s or 2.73s at 70.

stiffler197

Hollow Point Racing
Established Member
Best way to improve gas mileage is buy a commuter car lol. It'll pay for itself in fuel savings and you can keep miles off the cobra

SNAKEYE

Established Member
You can also try an oil additive that will cleanse sticky rings to help them seat properly. Along with a higher viscosity oil for the next change.

ESVEETEE

Established Member
Update: the tune had no effect on gas mileage.

However I played with my speed a bit. 70 mph: 20 mpg
80 mph: 20 mpg 90-95 mph: 22 mpg

WTF

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
You've got the wrong car for gas mileage lol especially with gears. I've been getting 18mpg with mixed driving and 4.10s. I have a tune, and it didn't do squat for mileage but that's not what I got the tune for.

Users who are viewing this thread