Looking to get back into a Cobra

Modded04

Established Member
Well it has been a long hard year but I am not going to take another summer with out a cobra. I am loooking at a Sonic Blue 03 with 41,xxx miles. It has a Bassani cat-back and a Bassani x-pipe not sure wheather or not it is catted. It has a 2.81 pulley and a intake of some kind. The seats look like they have never been sat in they had a cover on them since new. It has the chrome 17's on it and new tires all the way around.They are asking $24,900.

I had someone from work do a carfax on it and he said that it came back that it was in an accident at one point. But from the pictures they did a fine job. Plus I do know a exclent body man, and painter. So that really doesn't bother me. What do you guys think???

Hope to be back to the family soon!!!!!!

Dan

Jgranga171

1BADSNAKE
Established Member
Bargain for a lower price first of all, and ask if you can get a compression/leakdown test done. I think $24,900 sounds a little high for a 41,000 mile Cobra that's been in an accident and only has exhaust/intake, pulley. Hopefully it had a proper tune done to it. I might have a knowledgeable mechanic check out the chassis for warping/twisting as well. Just my opinion, but I AM BY NO MEANS AN EXPERT. My advice comes from the experience I've had with the AWESOME bunch of guys and girls on this forum. But mostly dudes. Ha!

Last edited:

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
:lol: Couldn't say it better. Bargain cause its been in a accident
and do a compression test.

TeddyKGB

Drunk on Power
Established Member
Definitely get a compression test, have it looked at by a Ford dealer and definitely talk him down on the price. Heck there are probably half a dozen Cobra's for sale right now in the forum with same or lower miles, no accidents and lower $$.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I will never buy a car that's been in an accident...IMO it hurts value...I would pay more for an unmolested Cobra...check the market section, that's where I got mine...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I will never buy a car that's been in an accident...IMO it hurts value...I would pay more for an unmolested Cobra...check the market section, that's where I got mine...

Sure it hurts the value a bit, but you're also getting a better price going in. And how much it hurts depends on what repairs were done to begin with.

Sounds like the seller maybe didn't want to divulge the repairs, so you mentioning the CarFax report gives you some bargaining power now. JMO.

Best of luck! Oh, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to read through this info on my website. Helps when looking at a used Terminator. http://stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_2004faqs.htm#_Toc35092317

Modded04

Established Member
So where should I start out at? I had my freind the body guy over this evening and we were looking at the pictures on the computer since it is in Va, and all that we could see is that it either had a fender put on or one that was fixed. The body lines just dont line up that good. But in the engine bay all of the crush points look great you can tell where the bolts were taken off for the fender because of the paint chiped off of the bolts. Also the factory spot welds were intact. We look very hard and pick everything apart. He has 15 years in the buss. But tomarrow I am going to call the dealership and see whats up. I am going to have them fax me a copie of the car fax and see what it says.

Dan

TeddyKGB

Drunk on Power
Established Member
The body lines just dont line up that good.

If thats the case....run the other way. You can replace body panels and parts but if that frame is at all twisted, even a little, they can't fix that. If the body panels dont line up right something pretty big happened to it.

There are plenty of other cars out there for you to waste your time on that one. Just my .02

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So where should I start out at? I had my freind the body guy over this evening and we were looking at the pictures on the computer since it is in Va, and all that we could see is that it either had a fender put on or one that was fixed. The body lines just dont line up that good. But in the engine bay all of the crush points look great you can tell where the bolts were taken off for the fender because of the paint chiped off of the bolts. Also the factory spot welds were intact. We look very hard and pick everything apart. He has 15 years in the buss. But tomarrow I am going to call the dealership and see whats up. I am going to have them fax me a copie of the car fax and see what it says.

Dan

If you haven't done so yet, read the info above that I linked you to. Make a list of things that are what you consider to be negatives. Then adjust your offer accordingly, assuming that you're still interested. The most important thing is to check the car out as carefully as possible. The more questions you ask now the happier you'll likely be when you make your decision.

Users who are viewing this thread