Looking to buy a welder - Advice?

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
Guys, I'm looking to buy a new welder and would like some suggestions from like minded car guys.
I'm no guru with MIG welding but I did take 3 classes at a local college where I did real well using their high quality welders and 1/8th & thicker steels. I can lay a good smooth bead and make joints hold water, ect..

However, Outside of class & using $300 mig welders on real thin steels I seem to get very poor quality welds. I can "make it stick" but the welds look like a child did it.

I just have no experience with welders in the $500 to $2000 range and would like to get the best / easiest I can afford.

So I'm willing to spend some money and hope to have this welder for 25+ yrs used on a automotive hobby basis.

So given the following what would you recommend?

1) I'd like to buy American made, something that can do mild, SS, and aluminum. (thin steel like automotive subframes, brackets, exhaust, turbo intake piping, ect..)
2) It will sit for long periods of time w/o use. Possibly over a yr at a time. (it can be stored in a dry / warm basement)
3) One that can use 117V now while I'm renting and 234V later when I have my own place and can install dedicated circuits in my own garage.
4) Budget of $1500 or so. Could go a bit more if needed. (this includes *all equipment* needed)
5) Low duty cycle is fine with me. I'm never in a hurry

The one I've got my eye on is: Millermatic 211 Auto-Set with MVP - MIG Wire Welder - GMAW - Miller Welding

Advice?

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
We have always had luck with our Lincoln machines, they have some rebates going on as well.
For mig check out the Lincoln 256
As for tig, the 175 might be in your price range.
Check out your local air gas store and see if they have any trades or used ones as well.

06colorado

Established Member
Miller would be the way to go. The welder you picked is skittle over kill for the mild steel you are looking to weld. And it's not going to weld aluminum. There is a good moto that people tend to say if it plugs into a wall get blue(miller), if it goes on the back of a truck get grey(Lincoln). Stay away from a flux core setup and you will be fine. Those small
Millers are really nice and lay strong beads.

mulchman

Established Member
The welder you picked is little over kill for the mild steel you are looking to weld. And it's not going to weld aluminum.

It will weld aluminum, just need the add on spool. It may be a little overkill for very thin steel, but does go down to 24 gauge (still gotta be careful). I picked one of these up last fall and I'm happy with it so far. It's nice to have 120 or 230 volt on the same machine. Just switch the plugs and the machine adjusts automatically.

UncleDan

Established Member
The Lincoln vs. Miller argument... Look, you really can't go wrong with either one. Just don't waste your money on a dinky 110 amp MIG or some kind of Home Depot junk. I'm personally a fan of the Lincoln 175. It's perfect for your home garage. Also avoid welders that come with all kinds of bells and whistles. All you need is the power switch, amp dial and wire sped dial and you're good.

06colorado

Established Member
It will weld aluminum, just need the add on spool. It may be a little overkill for very thin steel, but does go down to 24 gauge (still gotta be careful). I picked one of these up last fall and I'm happy with it so far. It's nice to have 120 or 230 volt on the same machine. Just switch the plugs and the machine adjusts automatically.

Damn I didn't see the spool gun.

Last edited:

19turbo95

Established Member
Take a look at the Thermal arc 181i. Has good reviews and everyone who has used it said nothing but good things.

B0B

Established Member
I really like my Miller Diversion 180. Its a great welder.

[YOUTUBE_BROWSER]XkSsBB3RLh4[/YOUTUBE_BROWSER]

Diversion 180 - TIG Welder - GTAW - Miller Welding

It works with 110 and 220, comes with everything you need except for filler rod and a tank. I researched welders for quite a while before I decided on this one and I'm very happy with it. I have built a complete turbo hotside, welded sumps on gas tanks, installed lift kits on jeeps, etc..

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
Take a look at the Thermal arc 181i. Has good reviews and everyone who has used it said nothing but good things.

Absolutely! I've heard nothing but good things about them. Our main maint. mechanic here at work as one he uses at home and he says for the money, it is every bit as good as our Miller Dynasty here at work. I've yet to hear a complaint about them at all.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
Got me curious on the ThermalArc welder, here's a user review of the unit.

[youtube_browser]vUCoAJVDWqI[/youtube_browser]

Got my father a Hobart some years ago, but it's still in the box.

I've used a commercial Miller some time ago, and was disillusioned on how easy it was to use. (It was too easy!) I spent years learning how to stick weld, and in 5 minutes with the gas/wire welder you'd be as good. With no cleanup.

The ThermalArc is going for $900 with the TIG kit. (They say)

-edit- looks like it needs a 240 volt outlet... https://www.thermadyne.com/Thermal Arc 3in1/index.php

Last edited:

RicerEater2012

Thread Destroyer
Established Member
We run mostely Lincoln's in our shop and have had AWESOME luck with them and these welders are ran 60+ hours a week. We have a few Miller's and I can't say anything bad about them.

I agree with GOTSVT on the 256 and the 175. We don't run either of those two in our shop, but they are both good welders for what your looking for.

Price wise I say go with the Miller Diversion 180 though. It's good and economically priced.

Last edited:

assasyn

Established Member
Insider Tip: Buy your machine from a welding supply house. You will get a better price than the box stores or the internet usually. They want your wire, gas and consumable business and will discount the machine considerably.

Users who are viewing this thread