looking to buy a lightning, have some questions.

kyle_c_21

Established Member
im thinking of selling my 95 GT for a lightning. i have been trying to research some on the 99-03 lightnings, but i still have some guestions. is there really a difference between the model years? to tell you the truth i would want to the truck to be a daily driver about 80% of the time, but it would still see the track quite regularly. i would like a high 11 low 12 time, IF that is possible. what would a good price be for a used lightning? how much does it cost to get a lightning into the low 12's high 11's? thanks to anyone that can help me out.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
99-00 had 360 hp and 440 lb ft, forged internals I think, came in red, black, white, and silver for 00. Also the 1999 models don't have body colored mirrors....they're black. Different wheels. Some intercooler leakage recalls.

01-03 had/has 380 hp and 450 lb ft, weaker internals, added true blue, dark shadow grey, and SONIC BLUE.

That's about all i can muster up now....someone else should know more than I. You can also do a search because this has been covered several times in depth.

Welcome :beer:

kyle_c_21

Established Member
first off, thanks for the quick reply. i appologize for not searchin, kinda got ahead of my self there. the truck im looking at is a black 01, i think it had around 20k miles on it, maybe a lil less. ill do a search and see what all i can come up with. thanks again.

kyle_c_21

Established Member
thanks for the kind words. i really wouldnt complain about any of the 2nd get lightnings. i think they look awsome. i have had mustang/camaro for a 3-4 years and the hp bug has biten me bad, and now all my friends are into trucks i thought, "hey, ill get a truck too, but mine will be faster"

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Originally posted by kyle_c_21
i into trucks i thought, "hey, ill get a truck too, but mine will be faster"

Def. 2nd gens pespond to simple mods very well. You'll be tearing their azzes up.
WARNING: Boost is very addictive.:beer:

SLVRNBLK

Established Member
What's up Kyle? I'm new to this board also. I bought my 02 new in April of, well '02. Anyway, you'll love your Black 01. Just be mindful of a few things if you're wanting low 12's, hi 11's. There are several ways to get there. The power levels required to pull a 4800lb brick through the 1/4 mi in the low 12 or so range are around 440rwhp(525 flywheel) and 540rwtq(650 flywheel)...APPROXIMATELY. At these power levels with stock internals just ENSURE you have a SAFE AND CONSISTENT TUNE! Also ENSURE you run a COLDER sparkplug(Denso's or NGK's)and check them every 5000 miles or so to ensure they're all snug(they tend to wiggle their little asses loose over time!)
BTW, the condition of air has a HUGE effect on the power production of these machines. Just be mindful and you'll have a BLAST showing your tailgate to many unsuspecting sportscars!:burnout:

Take Care,
Rob

kyle_c_21

Established Member
i test drove the 01 i was looking at today, man did it have some major power. the guy is wanting 24 for the truck and since he only deals in trucks he doesnt want my mustang. i think though i have found a friend to buy my car. the one positive thing is, the dealer told me that if this 01 goes b4 i get the money that he will find me a lightning when i have the money.

Wehnes

Established Member
Assuming the truck is in great shape I think 24 is reasonable. I just got my '01 Black a few weeks ago for 22.5 w/ 14k miles on it.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
New 03's are going for less than 30k around here. There is also ging to be a full production run of 04's if you want to buy new.

kyle_c_21

Established Member
it had 63k miles on it, my bad should have told you guys that. i thought with those miles they were wanting a lil to much, but then again i really havent priced many lightnings, i have been trying to find a 03 cobra, but im really starting to like the trucks more.

Speed5killz

Established Member
too many miles Kyle. I paid in May 26K for my '01 and it had just under 17K miles. Prices of cars are higher around here, but this should give you an idea. Also, I may have paid a lil more due to the fact that I got more (about $500-1000 more) for my '98 Prelude on trade than it was worth according to some third party appraisal services.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Originally posted by kyle_c_21
it had 63k miles on it, my bad should have told you guys that. i thought with those miles they were wanting a lil to much, but then again i really havent priced many lightnings, i have been trying to find a 03 cobra, but im really starting to like the trucks more.

Pass on it. Toooooooo many miles. :nono:

Users who are viewing this thread