Looking to buy 01 cobra

Brutal Metal

Established Member
tell you what from the photos it looks in fantastic shape but who knows up close in personal. First 3 things that need to be done, front plate holder is hideous remove it, get new floor mats and get that 4X4 chassis some lowering springs. You gonna make an offer? Their listing $8900 offer $7K (if it looks as good in real life)and work from there.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Like anything else. It's all about the maintenance. Take for a spin and listen for odd noises.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

kzite29

Established Member
Look out for any head ticks, its a notorious issue you'll see on here if you look back and sometimes cause for a rebuild.

Put it in a high gear at a low speed next to a wall (or something to bounce sound off of), open the throttle all the way and listen. Generally if there's any sort of "cover up" fluid in there you can hear the tick through it if you stress the engine like this.

Be ready for the ride to be pretty loud/bumpy if the shocks n springs are original. Definitely due for an update, a good excuse to invest in lowering it correctly in my opinion.

Other than that, try and get that guy down do like $7000 if you can so you can keep your budget open to get some forced induction going on there ;)

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

TimKonaGT500

Established Member
I bought an 01 Convertible in May. My third Mustang (89 LX vert, 11 GT500 Vert).

A couple things on the 01. Check tail light condition, those are hard to find if they are cracked or damaged. The seat condition is key, you can get reproduction vinyl and suede covers for $450ish, but if you want to go more authentic leather/alcantra, that will cost you more than double. The 01 seats are different than the 03-04.

With the miles, just listed for clunks, squeeks, rattles and the like. Looks pretty nice in the pictures, and being in TX, rust shouldn't be a concern.

Good luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread