Looking to add a Boss ..need help from the experts

IA Shelby

Established Member
Boss Owners:

I would appreciate your collective insight.

I have searched old threads but was just curious if there is a more current consensus now the Boss has been out for a couple of years.

I am looking to purchase a BOSS. Overwhelming primary use will a fun street car but would like to try it on the track at least once a year. Already have 04 Cobra Vert and a 11 GT500 vert. Both are modified. Want something that is lighter and NA.

1) Any real difference between the 12 and 13 outside of appearance?
2) Is the LS that much different than the base boss?
3) Springs or Coilovers?
4) Anybody running 18x10, 285 or 295 square set up? Will it fit?
5) Has anybody swapped out the MT-82 for the tremec magnum XL?

Thanks

Tag

darreng505

Established Member
1) No
2) Bigger front splitter, rear spoiler, suspension, appearance, rear seat delete.
3) If you want to upgrade the base boss springs, you can do the M-18000-C's and lower/stiffer springs, but if you lower it expect the usual medley of other suspension changes required such as adj.panhard, adj. rear LCA's, adj. upper 3rd link (UCA). If you're only gonna track it once a year I wouldn't bother. The base boss shocks are adjustable enough for that. If you got mad money, then sure go for coilovers. I just put grand am AST 5200's in. $7k later...lol
4) I'm running 18x10 square and have used both 285 and 295. If you go with the FRPP BBS 18x10's & 295 you _may_ need to grind the front endlink bolts down. No big deal. A dremel will work great. And yes, its a great setup.

5) I have swapped the MT-82 for the Magnum XL. Pricey, but worth it.I track my boss exclusively, so I needed to do it after my MT-82 crapped out 5th gear on the track.

chin1.png

Last edited:

IA Shelby

Established Member
1) No
2) Bigger front splitter, rear spoiler, suspension, appearance, rear seat delete.
3) If you want to upgrade the base boss springs, you can do the M-18000-C's and lower/stiffer springs, but if you lower it expect the usual medley of other suspension changes required such as adj.panhard, adj. rear LCA's, adj. upper 3rd link (UCA). If you're only gonna track it once a year I wouldn't bother. The base boss shocks are adjustable enough for that. If you got mad money, then sure go for coilovers. I just put grand am AST 5200's in. $7k later...lol
4) I'm running 18x10 square and have used both 285 and 295. If you go with the FRPP BBS 18x10's & 295 you _may_ need to grind the front endlink bolts down. No big deal. A dremel will work great. And yes, its a great setup.

5) I have swapped the MT-82 for the Magnum XL. Pricey, but worth it.I track my boss exclusively, so I needed to do it after my MT-82 crapped out 5th gear on the track.

chin1.png

Thank You. Didn't expect I would get such a complete answer from the first response. I may be sending you a PM in the future.

Tag

isrboss

Established Member
1. Track apps, sync, hood vents better cooling.
2. Has a few tires(crappy r-comps)/splitter(Roush does not use it in Continental series)/Brake ducts + /exclusivity. None of which would justify the cost in my opinion.
3. I'm using coilovers for a 05-09 s197, and works great. Lots of choices.
4. Absolutely, with the right wheel and offset. I'm 285/35-19 square on 9.5".
5. I'm no help here.

Last edited:

Deranged2013

Established Member
We have two for sale where I live. A 13 school bus yellow with Recaros and a Race red 12 with glass top. Both list for 39 something at a dealership.

justthebest

Driving like it's my job
Established Member
2 - don't forget the trans cooling scoop & brake ducts.

Also, I'll be putting my school bus yellow Laguna up for sale in the next few days. Let me know if that's the route you're thinking.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
My Bad. Black top then. I thought it was the tinted glass top.

Yes I have had about 6 people try and look up thinking that it was the glass top at car shows with my 12. There was two problems though since the Boss was to be a track car a glass top would be a no go on most tracks as a safety issue, ie* possibly ejecting the driver in a roll over. And 2nd the weight I think the glass top adds almost 400 lbs to the gross weight over a solid roof model Mustang.

Deranged2013

Established Member
Yes I have had about 6 people try and look up thinking that it was the glass top at car shows with my 12. There was two problems though since the Boss was to be a track car a glass top would be a no go on most tracks as a safety issue, ie* possibly ejecting the driver in a roll over. And 2nd the weight I think the glass top adds almost 400 lbs to the gross weight over a solid roof model Mustang.

Yeah, makes since. 400 lb. Glass top? Wow. Anyway I went by today and looked at the Red one again. It definitely does have a black painted top. Thanks for the correction. They lowered the price down to 38k with only 5500 miles. Beautiful car in perfect condition. The previous owner had Borla S type exhaust put on it. I'm trying to talk them into letting me swap my stock mufflers for the Borlas with a little added $ of course. It sounds damn good.

Users who are viewing this thread