looking @ jeep - anyone have experience?

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
Well it is a rubi. If there were any real concernes it would have to be the milage. However the price is decent and its got to be highway miles. Not many toys added to it either. I would buy it. Hell if he was closer I would have sniped it from you.

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
If you go check it out look at the axle seals. Se if there is fluid leaking out. Check for oil leaks and undercarriage damage incase of offroad duty. ensure it shifts in and out of 4wheel smoothly.

RidnRodsLightng

Established Member
type911 said:
Well it is a rubi. If there were any real concernes it would have to be the milage. However the price is decent and its got to be highway miles. Not many toys added to it either. I would buy it. Hell if he was closer I would have sniped it from you.

:poke: that's not nice! Besides, you need a good cruiser motorcycle...not a jeep!! (check my for sale add :D )

thanks for the advice....I'm new to jeeps...doing research now....so you say "its a rubi..." i mean, i know that's the model or whatever, but what does that mean? is that a top of the line model or something?

RidnRodsLightng

Established Member
type911 said:
If you go check it out look at the axle seals. Se if there is fluid leaking out. Check for oil leaks and undercarriage damage incase of offroad duty. ensure it shifts in and out of 4wheel smoothly.

I'm in Texas, it is in NC....not happening....going to have to rely on honestly! I'll ask the question. Thanks for the advice!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
It looks like it's been off road.

The Rubi is the hard core off road Jeep. It has better axles, transfer case, lockers, ect. It is more than you'll ever need if you are just looking for a dd.

RidnRodsLightng

Established Member
SID297 said:
It looks like it's been off road.

The Rubi is the hard core off road Jeep. It has better axles, transfer case, lockers, ect. It is more than you'll ever need if you are just looking for a dd.

Thanks Sid....looking for a DD that can hold the Dane, go offroad occasionally, and have a little power...

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
yes it will do you just fine then. it's also my favorite jeep color too. better hurry. J/K I have had alot of jeeps and scouts in my days. Alot of fun and easy to work on.

91redstanggt

Sexy Shadow
Established Member
I have had a couple of jeeps and my experience is once it hits 100,000 miles your gonna replace everything!!! I wouldn't buy it.

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
I got a buddy who's into Jeeps and offroading. He's a Wrangler with a lot of mods the typical offroad guys do, especially the jeep crowd..

Sid pretty much nailed it.

Personally I would just get a Wrangler Sport or something other than Rubicon, assuming you want the I6, 4x4 atleast for options.. and just mod it from there to suit your needs. There's a ton of suspension mods available for aftermarket on Jeeps, the only thing is when you start getting into bigger tires +35 inches and lifts plus supporting mods, you're on borrowed time with the Dana 35 rear.. you might go a long ways with it, and you might not.

If you're looking for fuel mileage, don't look at a Jeep. Don't get me wrong, it's not terrible..

OR you could get yourself a nice F250 Powerstroke; your DD, hauler, and race car tower. :thumbsup:

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
We've got two jeeps, though neither are a Rubicon. My advise on jeeps or any Chysler product is get the extended warranty. They have great motors, but the trannies and electricals aren't the best from my experience. We've had my wife's jeep Grand Cherokee in for major tranny work twice and several times for little electrical gremlins. My old Cherokee runs like a raped ape :)

Lance

F8LSNAKE

Established Member
I've got a tent I'll sell ya. I'll even put some wheels on it. J/K. Seriously, the replies you've had sound pretty spot on. I think I would look for one closer to you, so you can inspect it. +1 on the tranny. Mine was an older wrangler and went out at a little over 60k. They also were known for cracked exhaust manifolds. These problems may be fixed on the newer models though. They are alot of fun, as long as it's not your only vehicle. Good luck.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I bought my wife an 06 Wrangler a couple of months ago and I joined that same forum. What I've learned is that the Rubi's are the top of the line Jeeps and probably more than what you need for a DD. My suggestion is to go to the Wrangler section into the tj forum and there's tons of info on the Rubi's.

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
I had a Wrangler Sport for a year and loved it. The Rubicon is top of the line and the gas milage sucked (15'ish). These aren't smooth riding like a pick-up or SUV so expect to feel the road a bit more. Needless to say, they are a ton of fun off road and it's hard to get stuck in one. Your dog will fit fine in the back, especially when you take the seats out. I only sold mine because I left the window inserts in the garage one day and had to drive ~150 miles without rear windows in the middle of the winter after dark. Traded it in the following week for a real convertible ('02 GT). I thought about getting another one last year when I got my two Huskys, but went with a conversion van since I don't have plans for offroading anymore. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread