Looking for some car advice from you older and wiser gents

03cobrarocks

Established Member
I say do what I am going to do. I've had a C6 already & miss it. My next car buy will be another C6 or a C7. However, this time I am buying one already well modded. I don't feel like doing the work or spending all the $ again.

That is what I am leaning towards. I eventually want a turbo car so it would be nice to find one that has heads/cam/intake maybe a little suspension work. I just don't want to start at ground zero. I know you got to pay to play but I started with my Cobra bone stock and really don't want to have to do everything again. It is kind of fun seeing the car evolve but just looking at full exhaust, intake and tune makes me feel like "oh boy here we go again"

03cobrarocks

Established Member
Do you need the fastest DD you can get? If not, check out something that is fun to drive and not something with all out power.

Some of the best driving cars out there dont have a V8/RWD.

Well I daily drive a for fusion so this will be a fun car :), wanting at least 400rwhp would like around 550. The eventually goal is 800+ with turbo, but that is in the long run.

what about a bone stock Viper? You can find em for about $30-35k. And it would be fast enough bone stock.

You know I have looked at this, but man those (along with a supra) are hard to justify spending so much money on a car that is that old. Sure they look awesome but geez. I also prefer the look of the 08 hardtops more. (4th gen?). But that would be a great choice, have always loved vipers but I got to be honest cant afford to maintain one of those on current salary let alone mod

96 GTS or don't bother.
Blue w/white stripes

I wish ;/

First question...what do want to do with it?
Turn?
Don't really care much about turning, but don't want it to turn like a full sized truck either
Burn?
Strip?
On Occasion for sure
Track?
Touring?
DD?

No just a fun car

I like to turn...so the C6 gets my vote. Z6 would be nice. Of course...there's always the old guy mid-life crisis vibe I'd have to deal with...but f---'em...I'd have the Z.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
I've tried going back, and all I did was relearn all of the things that I hated about my 73 and had forgotten. The Corvette, either C5 or C6, is probably the best and cheapest route. You can tool around in one without mods and be content until you feel the need, and then most mods are fairly cheap for the LS engines.

03cobrarocks

Established Member
To this day the car that I had the absolute most fun with was my 1999 Cobra. I paid just under 14,000 for a good condition car with 40,000 on the clock. It was so cheap that the money I was saving meant I took it out to every track event. I was able to burn through oodles of fuel, tires, brake pads and rotors and I didn't have to worry about it. I just purchased those items when they wore out.

I did a couple things to that car, some of which I'd do again, others I wouldn't. But at the end of the day, because that car was so damn cheap, it afforded me the ability to actually have fun with it.

In your example you are looking at c6z's in the mid to high 30's which would put you looking at cars that would be considered high mileage in that class. It's probably doable, but as you state if you don't have any money left over, you're not going to have any money to have fun with the car.

You won't have any lesson fun in an LS2 C6 or C5z which you can get in relatively good condition for under 20k. In fact you'll probably have more fun because you won't be car poor because of the purchase. If it was me though, I'd go for the cheapest possible option which would be the Mach 1.

I will say this idea does sound appealing. A white mach one with black CCWs would look so good IMO! I mean hands down best looking car under 20k imo. I found a white one with 60k miles for 16k, could probably talk them down a little. It is bone stock though which means I would have to be disciplined and not drop a ton of coin all in a short amount of time.

If I went the mach 1 route this is how I imagine it:

1. Get car and soon after get car lower it

2. Within a few weeks get intake, tune, full exhaust.

3. few months later CCW or nice wheels.

4. Get 100 shot of nitrious

5.Enjoy car for what it is for a good while probably half year or so depending on funds (you know when you get a raise or bonus sometimes spend a little on car)

6. Cams/heads

7. Beef up transmission or go auto with manual valve body.

8. Probably need to rebuild motor at this point due to spray and driving habits lol.

9. Way way way down the road single turbo kit.

Now will I be happy it before it is done, absolutely.

I would say at about number 3 I would really love the car! But number 6 would be great!

I just am not sure I want to start all over again with a build like that, especially since I don't turn my own wrenches.

I would assume a conservative number for all those mods and install would be about 20k, and that is assuming get a few deals here and there. Is that worth it? Definatly doesn't seem smart financially but I make pretty good money know and it would be spread out over at least 5 years.

Decisions Decisions

DSC_0684.jpg

Last edited:

nxhappy

Established Member
Well I daily drive a for fusion so this will be a fun car :), wanting at least 400rwhp would like around 550. The eventually goal is 800+ with turbo, but that is in the long run.

You know I have looked at this, but man those (along with a supra) are hard to justify spending so much money on a car that is that old. Sure they look awesome but geez. I also prefer the look of the 08 hardtops more. (4th gen?). But that would be a great choice, have always loved vipers but I got to be honest cant afford to maintain one of those on current salary let alone mod

I wish ;/

2000-2003 Viper wouldn't be too expensive :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread