Looking for some car advice from you older and wiser gents

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Not true. Just have to look. There is a 2006 Z06 with under 20k miles on it H/C/I etc for $37k obo on CF right now.

Mach 1 over a C6? I could never do that, but they are in different price brackets so unfair comparison.

Perhaps I need to pay more attention to that market. Just 6 months ago anything even worth looking at was still around 45k.

Anyhow my point about the Mach 1 had nothing to do with the superiority or inferiority of the Mach 1 vs a C6 Corvette. Instead my advise for the OP was to buy the cheapest toy he can so that he has more money to do stuff with the toy.

He himself stated that a car in the mid to upper 30K range is going to significantly eat in to his budget. That's not only not smart from a financial perspective, but it will also make it harder to actually have fun with the toy, which is the purpose. While the Mach 1 isn't "better" than a C6 or C5 in any measurable term, it's not inherently less fun, as fun is what you make of it. The price difference is enough however that he'll have more liquid income to have fun with (car or otherwise) if he chooses the cheapest option.

If you had a choice of C6, C5z or Mach 1 and all of them were the same price, I'd choose the C6 all day, every day. That's not reality though and at around 5-10k cheaper, he'll be able to do a lot more with the Mach 1.

08mojo

Established Member
my honest advice...buy a car you will be happy with as it sits on the showroom floor. it'll have a warranty and be reliable. if you know your performance goals, find a car that will do it STOCK. in the long reun youll end up paying more to buy something only to mod it

I took that route once, and I was dead wrong. The only car I've bought new was my 2014 GT. I got the car for a good price with incentives and Ford Z pricing; however, you absolutely PAY for the 'included' warranty and for the car being new. And let's face it, warranties expire and having a stock car is boring (no, I'm not considering $100k+ cars in this statement). If you want to keep a car under warranty, that means you are opening yourself up to perpetual car payments or coming up with a large chunk of cash every 3-5 years. If I'm going to give money away, I'd rather spend it on mods versus depreciation of a new car.

Perhaps I need to pay more attention to that market. Just 6 months ago anything even worth looking at was still around 45k.

Anyhow my point about the Mach 1 had nothing to do with the superiority or inferiority of the Mach 1 vs a C6 Corvette. Instead my advise for the OP was to buy the cheapest toy he can so that he has more money to do stuff with the toy.

He himself stated that a car in the mid to upper 30K range is going to significantly eat in to his budget. That's not only not smart from a financial perspective, but it will also make it harder to actually have fun with the toy, which is the purpose. While the Mach 1 isn't "better" than a C6 or C5 in any measurable term, it's not inherently less fun, as fun is what you make of it. The price difference is enough however that he'll have more liquid income to have fun with (car or otherwise) if he chooses the cheapest option.

If you had a choice of C6, C5z or Mach 1 and all of them were the same price, I'd choose the C6 all day, every day. That's not reality though and at around 5-10k cheaper, he'll be able to do a lot more with the Mach 1.

Nice C6Z's are still in the low to mid $40's. Sure, there will be examples that dip into the $30's, but they are rare or you find out the title has a blemish, bad carfax, etc...

OP: I think you have already been honest with us and yourself, the C6Z is a bit out of range at this time. Since you've already had a terminator, I'd skip on buying another. Only other thing I can add: test drive as many of the cars you are considering as possible. I did very well buying cars that were near or at the bottom of their depreciation, I lost with the 2014 gt and I'm sure I'll lose with the C6Z. My 03 cobra was bought for $18k and sold for $19.5k 3 years later. I had an e46 M3 that I bought for $16k and sold for $15.5k after 3 years. Just some food for thought!

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
my honest advice...buy a car you will be happy with as it sits on the showroom floor. it'll have a warranty and be reliable. if you know your performance goals, find a car that will do it STOCK. in the long reun youll end up paying more to buy something only to mod it
Do this^^

While avoiding this:
I would basically be giving up all other hobbies just to afford the payments.

If you *have* to give up things to afford payments, then you can't really afford them. I assume this car will be a toy - that means that it should be paid for with money that you won't miss. I'm sure I'm not the only one on this forum that has taken on more of a financial burden than they should have for a car in the past, and I'm also quite sure I won't be the only one to tell you that it isn't worth it. Ten years ago I would have told you that giving up most everything else to have a cool car was worth it. It didn't take me long to figure out that's not the case.

Last edited:

Never_Enough

Established Member

I agree with you. My Miata was cheap & it's slow as hell, but it's still a blast to drive.

nxhappy

Established Member
how about a cheap DD, and a motorcycle?

Sure, they are death traps, but they are so ****ing fun !

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Do you need the fastest DD you can get? If not, check out something that is fun to drive and not something with all out power.

Some of the best driving cars out there dont have a V8/RWD.

Blown 89

Established Member
The older I get the more I realize modded cars aren't worth the headaches. I've also found that mods rarely make a car better for what we use them for. Cars are too good these days for idiots to try and improve on them in their garages. My 2 cents.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
only cars on your list worth looking into are the Terminator and C5z

I think you are a little out of touch if you think it takes "big boost" to have the cobra make real power. Not sure what your goals are, but you won't be able to make any Z06 650+ Hp for the cost it does to make a cobra that fast.

You'll be able to buy a very nicely modded, cared for terminator for low 20's and enjoy the shit out of it and not have to think twice. These cars will take a beating, relatively cheap to mod and will hold thier value

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
First things first, you'll never have the experience you had before being 1st owner. Whatever Terminator you buy next, will never live up to those expectations.

Ubergeist

Established Member
I'll be the outlier here, and say 5.0 GT. It's newer, unless your buying cash, will have a lower rate and goes around the same price a good Termi. Also, has a chance of a warranty to lessen your costs.

Me personally, if there was a mint termi and a low mileage 5.0, and they said "take one". I'd be driving home in my 3rd Termi. :D I liked my second one as much as my first. Though after driving AMG's for the past few years may have changed my scope.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Do not be car broke.

If you cant afford to do anything fun then its too expensive. I like having a fun car, while still being able to go out to eat and drink, go-karting, shooting, weekend vacation, etc...without worrying about a car payment.

nxhappy

Established Member
what about a bone stock Viper? You can find em for about $30-35k. And it would be fast enough bone stock.

truefiveo

Established Member
Clearly you are on the wrong forum. What gearhead doesn't want to mod? lol I've tried many times to just leave things alone. It never happens.

I say do what I am going to do. I've had a C6 already & miss it. My next car buy will be another C6 or a C7. However, this time I am buying one already well modded. I don't feel like doing the work or spending all the $ again.

Buying anything modded is a money pit, I think we have all learned that by now.
Either way youll be spending all the $$$ when something goes snap crackle pop.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Buying anything modded is a money pit, I think we have all learned that by now.
Either way youll be spending all the $$$ when something goes snap crackle pop.

No, that's how you save money.
Stop buying the wrong beat cars? I prefer to buy already modded. If you know what you're looking at, you can buy something perfectly fine. I've never had an issue buying already modded. You save a TON.

Never_Enough

Established Member
First things first, you'll never have the experience you had before being 1st owner. Whatever Terminator you buy next, will never live up to those expectations.

Not always true. I'm on my 2nd MS6 & I love this one the same if not more. Yes, I did a lot of the same mods, but I have also done lots of other things too.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
First question...what do want to do with it?
Turn?
Burn?
Strip?
Track?
Touring?
DD?

I like to turn...so the C6 gets my vote. Z6 would be nice. Of course...there's always the old guy mid-life crisis vibe I'd have to deal with...but f---'em...I'd have the Z.

Last edited:

03cobrarocks

Established Member
O wow this thread really took off since I last checked. Going to reply to more when I get to a computer.

Dont know how to do multi quotes in same reply so sorry if looks like I am spamming.

Users who are viewing this thread