Looking For Nice Places To Live In NJ....Within An Hour Of Rahway?

vipergts281

Established Member
99E.GreenSnake said:
:-D Millstone TWP, monmouth county, off main roads but close to major roads, over 40 sq mi borders ocean, middlesex and mercer counties.
As far as new. most ikely you'd have to go 700 but great area, my hidden NJ oasis:coolman:
I thought about Monmouth County as well. Cream Ridge to be exact, there was a nice, new home there for sale that I was looking at online.

What are the school districts like, do you know?

99E.GreenCobra

Established Member
Cream Ridge is close to Millstone but I think its in Ocean cty.
As far as Millstone, though not applicable to me anymore.....the elementary system is supposedly very good, as far as HS, none in Millstone and the HS used is in Alletown and not sure about it.....good luck and if you come to this area or around it, as you probably know already, since I see some of the people yous chat with....our club, Central Jersey Mustang & Fords is good and very active and you would be welcomed:coolman:

trublu gen2

Established Member
vipergts281 said:
How far would it take you to get to Rahway from Flemington?

That is the area I am thinking of looking more into. I was up there about 5 years ago and liked it.

Is there new construction in the area?
You can do it in an hour as long as there are no accidents or major holdups. It also depends on what time you have to be at work. The earlier, the better. I used to work in Kenilworth which is close to Rahway. I left home at 6:30 and got there at 7:30(unless there was a major accident, etc). There is new construction in the area, but it's probably a little above your price range. For $650k, you can get a beautiful, 10 year old center hall colonial that looks new. One of my friends lives in the type of house I'm referring to. He loves it here also. He moved here from Manville because of the school district. Sometimes you're better off with a 5-10 year old house. All of the little things that the builder screwed up have probably been fixed.

TR03Mach1

Black Snake
Established Member
Man, it's been 40+ years since I lived in NJ, but the only Cream Ridge, NJ I remember was just a little southeast of Allentown, where I went to high school, and not anywhere near Ocean City!

vipergts281 said:
Anybody have any suggestions? I am somewhat familiar with NJ, I know some parts aren't that great but I also know some parts are very nice.

Must haves.....

Good school district
And be within an hour of Rahway.

Northern NJ, say above Route 78, is out of the question for other reasons.

I'm thinking somewhere in the Flemington area, I was there a few years ago and remember it being pretty nice. So maybe in the areas between Flemington, over to Somerset, east to Rahway, south to Princeton....the area in the middle of those cities.

More so between Flemington and Princeton....what is that area like?

What about around Hillsborough and Hamilton.

Thanks. :beer:

I work in Somerset County and due to the nature of my job I have covered just about every part of Somerset County. Its a gorgeous place to live in. Hillsborough and Hamilton are also very nicely developed towns. A lot of new construction and you have easy access to 287 and the GSP. The Flemington area (Hunterdon County) is also a beautiful area. Massive properties with so much farmland. You really can't go wrong. Hunterdon & Somerset Counties are probably the 2 nicst areas to live in. The Princeton area is ok. A lot of beautiful homes but a lot of traffic and a lof of weirdos live in that area.

Stangette03

JC's Jules
Established Member
vipergts281 said:
Michelle, what area are you in now?

I've driven through Somerset, as you know. Not really sure if I remember alot about it though.
We live in the actual town of Somerset, in Somerset County. But there are a lot of very nice towns in Somerset County.

vipergts281

Established Member
99E.GreenSnake said:
Cream Ridge is close to Millstone but I think its in Ocean cty.
As far as Millstone, though not applicable to me anymore.....the elementary system is supposedly very good, as far as HS, none in Millstone and the HS used is in Alletown and not sure about it.....good luck and if you come to this area or around it, as you probably know already, since I see some of the people yous chat with....our club, Central Jersey Mustang & Fords is good and very active and you would be welcomed:coolman:
Thanks for the info.

Yes, I am familiar with CJMF. I've met alot of the members.

:beer:

vipergts281

Established Member
trublu gen2 said:
You can do it in an hour as long as there are no accidents or major holdups. It also depends on what time you have to be at work. The earlier, the better. I used to work in Kenilworth which is close to Rahway. I left home at 6:30 and got there at 7:30(unless there was a major accident, etc). There is new construction in the area, but it's probably a little above your price range. For $650k, you can get a beautiful, 10 year old center hall colonial that looks new. One of my friends lives in the type of house I'm referring to. He loves it here also. He moved here from Manville because of the school district. Sometimes you're better off with a 5-10 year old house. All of the little things that the builder screwed up have probably been fixed.
Yeah, thats about what I figured, an hour or so. Leaving for work would probably be around 7.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't down around where 287 meets 95/Route 1 pretty backed up? I've been caught in that traffic several times before in the morning. Maybe this will help.....getting to Rahway around 8 am and leaving Rahway around 4 am. How bad would traffic be?

10 year old home isn't going to work. New construction only. One of the main reasons is because the basement needs to be finished off with a bathroom and kitchen.

Thanks for your help. :beer:

vipergts281

Established Member
01cobravortech said:
I work in Somerset County and due to the nature of my job I have covered just about every part of Somerset County. Its a gorgeous place to live in. Hillsborough and Hamilton are also very nicely developed towns. A lot of new construction and you have easy access to 287 and the GSP. The Flemington area (Hunterdon County) is also a beautiful area. Massive properties with so much farmland. You really can't go wrong. Hunterdon & Somerset Counties are probably the 2 nicst areas to live in. The Princeton area is ok. A lot of beautiful homes but a lot of traffic and a lof of weirdos live in that area.
If it weren't for the money issue, Princeton would be perfect. I actually like that area. But a $650,000 house in PA would cost over a million in Princeton. The prices there are insane. I saw homes that weren't that impressive and they STARTED at $1.8 million. :eek:

Thanks for the info. :beer:

vipergts281

Established Member
Another question for you Jersey guys, and girl.

I heard car insurance in Jersey is brutal. How true is that? It's actually not that bad in PA. My Cobra (24 year old male) is just over $200 a month.

Not too mention the stupid law that requires a front mounted license plate in NJ. Do you guys actually do that? I wouldn't be drilling holes into the front bumper of any car. What's the fine if you get caught?

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
vipergts281 said:

I heard car insurance in Jersey is brutal. How true is that? It's actually not that bad in PA. My Cobra (24 year old male) is just over $200 a month.

Not too mention the stupid law that requires a front mounted license plate in NJ. Do you guys actually do that? I wouldn't be drilling holes into the front bumper of any car. What's the fine if you get caught?

I pay $1000 a year insurance and no, I dont have a plate on the front. Got caught once for $40 I think (mobile inspection crap). Otherwise no probs.

vipergts281 said:

You should be able to get a decent rate, as long as you don't have any insurance points. In our state, insurance points really drive up the premium big time!

If you don't mount a front license plate...prepare to get pulled over a lot. Thats not something that gets overlooked at all in this state. And don't let anyone convince you its no big deal...because its the easiest thing to notice on any car in this state.

vipergts281

Established Member
Well, thanks for everyones help. But, as of now NJ is out. Probably moving up north in PA around the Easton/Allentown/Bethlehem area.

Thanks again. :beer:

trublu gen2

Established Member
vipergts281 said:
Yeah, thats about what I figured, an hour or so. Leaving for work would probably be around 7.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't down around where 287 meets 95/Route 1 pretty backed up? I've been caught in that traffic several times before in the morning. Maybe this will help.....getting to Rahway around 8 am and leaving Rahway around 4 am. How bad would traffic be?

10 year old home isn't going to work. New construction only. One of the main reasons is because the basement needs to be finished off with a bathroom and kitchen.

Thanks for your help. :beer:
Yes, the 287/95/1 area in Edison can get very backed up. I doubt you would be able to make it in 1 hour if you left Flemington at 7am. Its possible, but I would say more like 1 hour 15 minutes. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

98_snake_bite

Established Member
vipergts281 said:
Well, thanks for everyones help. But, as of now NJ is out. Probably moving up north in PA around the Easton/Allentown/Bethlehem area.

Thanks again. :beer:

There are alot of houses in my area (Forks Township) for sale right now. What size house and property are you looking for?

If you have $650K to spend then you could get one hell of a nice house. New construction starts around $400K.

vipergts281

Established Member
98_snake_bite said:
There are alot of houses in my area (Forks Township) for sale right now. What size house and property are you looking for?

If you have $650K to spend then you could get one hell of a nice house. New construction starts around $400K.
Only need about a half of acre of property. Size of the house, probably atleast 3,700 square feet. Absolutely has to have a walk out basement as well.

And yes, $650,000 is just about the max for now.

So you are saying there is new construction in your area? Do you have any links to the developments being built?

What are the school districts like?

Thanks. :beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread