Looking for Better Ride!

96Cobracomander

Established Member
Well my current shocks struts and spring set up is deplorable to say the least...

I believe i have Eibach Sport Pro springs

some type of KYB strut/shock combo im not 100% sure of

The ride is SUCKY! car bounces all over the place, makes weird noises and just doesn't feel right at all

SO my solution is a suspension OVERHAUL, give me some insight and possible adjustments but here is what i am eying for a new suspension

Steeda Sport Springs Steeda Sport Mustang Lowering Springs (79-04 GT, V6, Mach 1, 93-98 Cobra) 555-8200 - Free Shipping!

Tokico Blue Shock Tokico HP Series Shock (94-04 Mustang excl. IRS Cobra) HE3723 - Free Shipping!

Tokico Blue Strut Tokico HP Series Strut (94-04 Mustang) HB3140 - Free Shipping!

Maximum motor sports Rear Lower Control Arm Maximum Motorsports Mustang Rear Lower Control Arms (79-98) MMRLCA-1 - Free Shipping!

Maximum Motor Sports C/C plates Maximum Motorsports Mustang Caster/Camber Plates (94-04) MMCC9994 - Free Shipping!

SR Performance FLSFC SR Performance Mustang Full Length Subframe Connectors (79-04) at AmericanMuscle.com 2155B86 - Free Shipping!

i think its all a pretty solid combo but again if you see something mismatched or a better component then what i have listed let me know!

Bishop03

4v+DOHC=Big Power
Established Member
I would go with a better shock and strut setup, get Maximum Motorsports poly bushings, strut tower bar, kmember 4 point connector( think thats right) and subframes

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
MM full length subframes, bilstein shock/struts, eibach prokit, MM Lower control arms, MM Caster/Camber plates.

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
Pass on the Tokico shocks. The ride quality sucks trust me. The dampening on those is horrible. Look into the Bilsteins or Koni.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Buy a different car. Really hard to stay comfortable without leaving it at stock height. Once you go low, most of the comfort goes out the door.

I have Bilsteins and H&R SS springs, mm CC plates, and mm LCAs, and its not comfortable. I guess it depends on what you are comparing it to.

But I have had tokicos and they are no where near the quality and dampening of the Bilsteins. Do it once and do it right. Trust me on that.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Eibach sportlines and HD bilsteins. Car rides pretty well. Naturally it's going to be stiff. But it's a compromise between handling and ride comfort.

If it bothers you that bad, coil overs will be the only way to really get the best of both worlds. Run a softer spring. You can then compensate with an adjustable sway bar. It's a common setup in racing. You either run a soft sway/Hard spring or Hard Sway/Soft spring. Any other way and you'll become the king of understeer.

Fox 5.0

Established Member
I know they are two completely different animals... but I have the Eibach Pro-kit and Tokico blues (all four corners) on my fox and jeebus the ride is so shitty! Go with Bilsteins.

mustang3X

Established Member
All cars with eibachs ride like crap. Go with H&R springs.

Global West sfc because they are round.

J&M rear lower control arms and cc plates.

Koni str.t shocks and struts.

This is my set up, stiffer than stock but does not beat you up or make any noise

RPM4DAZ

Because stock sucks!!
Established Member
You may not believe this and I am probably going to get a lot of flack for stating this. But, spring rate itself doesn't make a big change in ride quality and harshness. Yes, ( know it does make some change ) but, it will bounce and wobble about if you have dampers that do not have enough rebound control and to harsh of a compression setting will cause some extreme harshness upon impacts and bumps. I have spent a lot of time tuning my dampers on both my Cobra and Sport Trac. I designed and built the systems in both. They are both independent front and rear ( both a plus ) but same basic principle follows most suspension systems. Maximum motorsports has probably the best equipment and have their own custom tuned ( damping rates ) Bilsteins. The secret is to have a set that backs off of compression resistance as rate increases along with increasing rebound resistance. Therefore, firm controlled compression and no bounce from to little rebound. If you go up in spring rate lay back on the big anti-sway bars. The go big combo only works best on dry roads with sticky tires. Too much spring and anti-sway bar will cause understeer/oversteer control issues and not enough lean to dig in and stick. Particularly in slightly slick to wet situations... I learned this the hard way!!! And it has cost a lot of money and frustration learning this. My suggestion is to call Maximum, give them your spring selection and have them choose the shock/strut ( damper ) to suit you best on what you want. Make sure you are honest on what you want and need with them. They will get you set up. Also, as stated by others, a coil over set up will change the Motion Ratio of the front suspension pretty dramatically. In doing so, it will have the best ride to handling ratio of the bunch. If you can afford it, go for it...

bonk96gt

Established Member
^
What he said. I got the road and track box or something like that. Basically full suspension from them. Coilover in front and springs in back with Bilsteins. Was too stiff on the street for my neck. So I called and asked what I could do. They sold me some softer springs that I use on the street. Still handles great and rides fantastically. In fact, it is the best riding car I own.

bumsoil

Established Member
I have koni str.t's and saleen springs (pro kit) And my ride is good. Not great. But good. As long as I'm not going over horrible pavement. It is comfortable enough for me.

gq916

Established Member
get coilovers in the front with bilstein shocks or H&R springs..eibachs are too soft..
full length subframes, panhard bar..please dont get tokico shocks.

Users who are viewing this thread