Looking for a sticky tire for Daily use

DieselNuts

¯\_(ò.Ó)_/¯
Established Member
I am in the market for 4 new tires. I am comming off the factory Goodyear Eagles and want something that likes to take the turns more. Tread life is a factor, but if I can get 12K miles out of them, that would be acceptable.

I guess I'll stick with the factory 275/40/17s since I'll still be on the factory wheels. Two tires that I have in mind are the Falken azenis RT-615 and the Kumho Ecsta XS.

Anyone have any input on a good sticky daily tire?

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
nitto nt555 fronts and nitto 555r drag radials in the back the fronts will last you 50000+ miles and the nitto dr rears will last you 10-12k if you dont do too many burnouts:beer:

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
i also use the 555 on my rears and they work very well for street use and cornering its a grippy tire but when i go to the drag strip i use the 555r for a sticky tire the nitto drag will give you the best mileage out of any dr but the 555 work good in all 4 corners too

DieselNuts

¯\_(ò.Ó)_/¯
Established Member
Yeah, I've got some BFG DRs on a spare pair of wheels when traction is needed. These new tires will be used for my daily commute. I can deal with the traction issues in a straight line, I just want something that will stick in the turns.

Last edited:

LT1UltraZ

Established Member
Yeah, I've got some BFG DRs on a spare pair of wheels when traction is needed. These new tires will be used for my daily commute. I can deal with the traction issues in a straight line, I just want something that will stick in the turns.

Caught.
:beer:

the stock jeep is waiting!

DieselNuts

¯\_(ò.Ó)_/¯
Established Member
LOL... come to the track and get some of the stock Cobra.
lol, I know right?

D, I would go with Goodyear GS-D3's or the ecsta's... maybe Vredestein Ultrac Sessenta's if you want a good tire for cheap.
I'll check those goodyear's out. Where did you get your Vredesteins?

BFG KDW's. Flame Tread.

Great dry traction and wet.

I've heard good things about their traction, but I've also heard that they are as noisy as an all terrain truck tire once you get about 4k miles on them...:( Those were the original tires I wanted to get.

Last edited:

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
I got mine from motorweb.com (I don't see a problem in posting that since the DTD guys are MIA and obviously could care less about our business)

David Hester

Established Member
Ok, I have an opinion on those you mentioned.
I raced on Kumhos for years, autocross, time trials, road racing (Victoracer/ V700) and have had a couple of sets of Ecsta's. All good tires.
I AutoCross on the Falken RT-615's, decent autocross tire, goes away pretty quickly on track days, does ok day to day driving when I'm too lazy to swap back to the Coopers.
Don't know about the 10,000 miles, but aren't real expensive.
If you are interested in cornering, I would get fronts and backs that matched.

Last edited:

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
just a thought buy some formula v traction treatment or wipe your tires down with wd-40 or simple green it makes the rubber softer on your street tires and makes them grip like a mofo i even tried atf one time on my 555 nitto streets and it softens up the rubber but wd-40 or even simple green works good, formula v traction treatment from jegs.com works awesome

David Hester

Established Member
I used Formula V on slicks years ago and it does seem to help. And not the best thing to have on tires if they are used in the rain. Been there, done that. :eek:
The problem is old tires loose oils that keep them soft over heat cycles and the elements.
Bleach has been used over the years as well to help with burnouts....till everyone found out water did just as good a job.

WD-40???

Users who are viewing this thread